Sniper Elite 3 detailed for current, next-gen

Thursday, 14th March 2013 10:37 GMT By Staff

Sniper Elite 3 is headed to PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and next-generation platforms in 2014.

Publisher 505 Games told IGN that Sniper Elite V2, which launched in April 2012, moved 1.1 million units.

“We’re very excited to be working with 505 Games again on a sequel that will build on the highly successful Sniper Elite V2,” said Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley. “We’ve got some great ideas to improve on what we did before and feedback from fans has been invaluable.

“Sniper Elite V2 was just the beginning of what we want to do with the franchise, there are things we didn’t have time to do before that we can really look at featuring this time. We want to focus on making this latest incarnation of Sniper Elite more of a sandbox game but also build on the awesome X-Ray Kill Cam and the atmospheric World War 2 setting.

“We’re looking forward to seeing what Sniper Elite fans and gamers in general make of the latest chapter in the story.”

At present, the team is busy creating all-new environments, a more refined gameplay experience and a brand new storyline which once again stars OSS sniper Karl Fairburne during World War 2.

1. The_Red

Next-gen slo-mo, x-ray gore shots FTW!

2. Max Payne

The levels for this game need to be much bigger.

3. Samoan Spider

Yes, much larger wider levels next time around would be excellent. I would like it to feel more like a playground with multiple approaches. V2 was a good game but I did feel like it guided you along ‘corridors’ to a set piece area where you had a little freedom. Keep the feel, up the tension and widen the game space. That along with #1′s x-ray slow-mo gore shots ;)

4. nklh4x0r

Hell yeah, needs more detail to the x-ray, bulled slowly diving into the muscle, gory sound, bleeding, cracking bones, brain falling out, facial expressions….cock shot?

5. YoungZer0

Meh, not WWII again.

6. bitsnark

@5 Although to be fair, they seem to be having a go at the North African theatre, which most WW2 shooters pretty much don’t bother with too much.

But yeah, like you I was perhaps hoping that they might take the game into a different era.

7. Samoan Spider

@6 Yeah a different theatre within WWII is appreciated but the only thing I’d say against a different era is that modern/future has been done to death. So either some shadowy jungle war during the 70′s/80′s maybe would be amusing.

8. YoungZer0

@6: Maybe WWII would be okay, but I africa? I think russia would’ve been a much more interesting setting, with you playing a russian sniper.

9. bitsnark

@8 I’d agree with that actually!

Playing as Russian sniper would certainly be a lot more intriguing I think, yes.

10. CaptPierce

Hmmm, I’m actually HAPPY to play another World War II shooter again! We’ve been flooded with so many modern conflicts in the Middle East or Russia lately, it’s getting just as stale as WWII back in the day.

Since it’s in Africa, maybe it’ll give the British a chance to shine! The Brits from what I know the main force fighting Rommel and his force then from what I know. :P