PS4: Sony’s 4K movie service confirmed for console

Friday, 1st March 2013 09:24 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 will feature Sony’s 4K movie service at some point. However, film downloads could hit the 100GB mark. Ouch.

Speaking with The Verge in a video interview, Sony Electronics President and COO Phil Molyneux laid down some details about PS4′s capability for 4K movies and pictures. 4K games still aren’t supported unfortunately.

Molyneux said, some movie downloads would hit “100 gigabytes and plus”, and that broadband speed and bandwidth will be looked at and tackled in due course. The idea of downloading a film over a few days isn’t appealing, but it’s good to know that Sony is considering its options.

He added that these are, “challenges that we have to work through… we’ve got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience.”

Would you use the 4K service if you got your hands on a compatible telly? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, we’ve got the first official shots of the PS4 user interface. Check them out here.

Thanks IGN.

1. dravenkaze

I bought startrek blu ray when it first came out though I could watch stright away…over night download sucked

#1 1 year ago
  2. Malmer

Meanwhile RED streams high quality 4K in their own developed format at only 2.5 MB/s. http://www.red.com/products/redray

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

Red Ray compression might be the key here. Only takes a license for the compression software server and client side and Sony have themselves a 4k service with reasonable data overheads.
    Edit: @2 got there 1st damnit :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. mkotechno

“Yeah, because 1080p have no enough detail, you can easily see the pixels”
    - Said by no one ever.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

Here’s an interesting infographic for anyone interested. Size of tv vs distance from it at different resolutions -> http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

#5 1 year ago
  6. ultramega

I hate those charts. It’s so subjective. It really does depend on how good your eyes are, too.

My computer monitor is 1440p, for instance, and there is a clear difference between it and 1080p monitors of lesser ilk.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Fin

I watched one of the BBC 4k trials during the Olympics. Seriously, there’s nothing to compare it to. It’s bigger than the leap from SD to HD. It’s like looking at the events actually happening through a pane of glass.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Talkar

How does it take a few days to download a 100+ GB movie?
    Are people still stuck on the “old” connections?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

@5, Another one of your bullshit charts?

Charts are very subjective. My monitor support resolution higher then 1080p (current standard) and I see a huge difference between 1080p and 2560×1440 resolution and the leap is big.

4K will be not just amazing, but jaw dropping and the difference is day and night.

I hope that next gen videocards will start supporting games in 4K, although that is a distant future, that’s for sure.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

@6 I realise they are heavily subjective. But as an average, they are fair for the majority. 1440p vs 1080p for me is a massive jump too and I can’t disagree with what you’re saying. I’m just putting that out there as an average for those interested in whether sitting 10′ from a 40″ TV will give any (subjective) benefit.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@9 I’ve linked that same chart once before Erth, get over it. And never posted another one in my life before. I generally don’t use them.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Fin

That graph makes sense for stuff like movies for sure. For monitors though, where items like 10px square are often used, it doesn’t really apply.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

@6 and @9
    What size are your monitors and how far do you sit from them when you use them?

#13 1 year ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

@7:

Not in my experience.

I walked past a 4k tv in a store, recently, and the detail was nothing special. It must have been about 80″, too.

On top of that, the thing practically gave me instant eye strain, reminding me of the days of looking at 15″ CRT monitors running at 40Hz.

Basically, 4k has zero appeal, for me, so far…

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps4fanboy

Broadband subscriptions in my place are very expensive. The ones that are affordable have limited data ~10gb at 4mbps and after that speed is reduced to 512kbps. In fact i dont even have a broadband subscription, all i have is mobile internet.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Fin

Hm that’s weird. For me it was like actually being there. Same with the sound too (the trials I went to had like a 22-speaker surround or something). Amaaazing.

#16 1 year ago
  17. ps4fanboy

So will i be streaming 4k movies on my(would be) PS4… No, i’d rather play games on it, which is why i’m going to buy it.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Francis O

100 GB downloads? Only Japan has speeds fast enough to get that done in a timely fashion. 4K is cool, but I don’t have a 4K TV, and I don’t plan on getting one anytime soon as they are freaking expensive.

Question: Are there 4K TVs that also do 3D? Is Sony going to support both with their movies and steaming services?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Samoan Spider

@18 http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv – 4k and 3D ;) $17k

#19 1 year ago
  20. G1GAHURTZ

They’re going to need at least a 2TB HDD if they want to make 100GB downloads the norm.

@16:

22!? Wow! We’re they all on one level, or were there any roof mounted ones. One of the problems with surround sound is hearing everything on the same level all the time.

It kind of breaks the immersion when you’re playing an fps, and can hear someone behind you, but there’s no-one there, because they’re on the floor above you in the same building.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Fin

I thiiiink they were arranged in an array around the screen itself, but I can’t remember.
    It was epic though, that’s for sure – it was a sample of bits of the Olympics, you could hear the mood of the entire crowd change (get louder etc). Was awesome.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hybridpsycho

This

#22 1 year ago
  23. shogoz

Sorry about Erthazus, samoanspider. You’ll have to ignore him, he just got voted the forums official mascot cunt and he’s just happy to get any recognition to be totally honest with you. The same kind of recognition a teenage girl wants when she goes out in a miniskirt and in the back of her mind hoping she doesn’t get raped because she thinks she looks so hawt kind of attention. The best thing to do is just not to look at it. Love yo ass Erthazus <3

#23 1 year ago
  24. theevilaires

Yea boi! PS4k confirmed. I wonder if they can make a few games in 4k now. That graphics card along with 8GB GDDR5 Ram must be able to pull it off.

That interface still sucks though

#24 1 year ago
  25. Samoan Spider

@24 No, sadly not likely. Not even PC gaming is there yet without HUGE investment.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

I don’t think it’s an investment point, or even a hardware one, with the nextgen consoles. It’s that their target display should be the one most people will be playing on – which should be 1080p and remain 1080p for some time.

#26 1 year ago
  27. theevilaires

Yea but come on you’re telling me these devs can’t make a game like Pixel Junk Monsters in 4K. Its simple graphics. I’m not expecting MGS5 to run in 4k ever until the PS9.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Erthazus

^

1) you owe me 1000$

2) Graphics card in the PS4 (or any PC graphics card) does not support 4K resolution for gaming yet. If it doesn’t support it will never do 4K for gaming even if it is possible to play 4K movies on it.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Samoan Spider

@26 Yeah, I’ve said that before. They know they need to be aiming at 1080p because that’s where the average TV owner is now. A few years back it was 720p. Times move forward. In the gen after this, we’ll all be downloading/streaming 4k capable games onto a optical driveless box and playing on our 84″ tv’s but thats a long way off. My point there was that 4K is a rare feet of a few hardened people where gaming is concerned and that the hardware is simply not capable of it. Streaming, maybe, rendering, no.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DrDamn

Ok – I think I misinterpreted your “huge investment” too – you were talking in terms of consumer outlay rather than dev weren’t you?

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lightmanone

100+ GB…. With my 50Mb/s download speed, I’d have to download a little over 5 hours, topping out my internet connection to watch a movie that will last about 2 hours. There are a few things that won’t work.

1: As we all know, Sony isn’t that fast, (with my connection I get about 4GB/h, instead of 19GB/h (what my connection can give me) So that would means: 25 HOURS of download.
    2: A 4KTV is of course required. At the moment, 15000 Euro’s / 11000 pounds is the payment for a whopping 84″ version. (smaller are not being produced right now.. for “consumers” anyway)
    3. If you can pay for a 4KTV.. you would’t wanna wait more then an entire day for a movie to download. You order is online with fast service on bluray (yes, that will be the media for 4K as well)

#31 1 year ago
  32. Samoan Spider

@30 Yes, that’s what I meant. To be serious on 4K right now, you’d have to be a nutter. The fact that they exist does not mean that Sony should go mad pandering to them.

#32 1 year ago
  33. DrDamn

“So sorry Sony.. Your idea of having an online service for 4K media is fun, but undoable for the foreseeable future.”

Errr… wasn’t that their conclusion too?

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lightmanone

If that was their conclusion, then we wouldn’t have this discussion, since they wouldn’t have announced a 4K online media distribution system. But they just did.

#34 1 year ago
  35. DrDamn

The key words from the article being … “at some point”

#35 1 year ago