Sony has sold its Osaki office building for $1.2 billion

Thursday, 28th February 2013 19:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has sold its Sony City Osaki office building in Tokyo for $1.2 billion (¥111 billion). As a result of the sale, Sony expects to realize a gain on the sale of approximately ¥41 billion ($445 million) to be recorded as operating income, during Q4 of the fiscal year ending March 31. The sale is part of the firms restructuring program and asset reorganization “in an effort to strengthen its corporate structure.” The firm sold its US office building last month for $1.1 billion. Thanks: Joystiq, Seeking Alpha.

1. Erthazus

That’s what you get after 8 GB Of Ram. :D

I guess Next Gen for Sony looks really good.

2. Francis O

Yeah, and everybody talks about Nintendo going third party, There not the ones selling their buildings to make profits. If the PS4 doesn’t work out, Sony’s gaming division is in serious trouble.

3. Lounds

Anyone remember Sony? Sorry I mean Sega!

4. Samoan Spider

@2 If I had to hazard a guess, its not just the gaming division that could suffer, but I think they’re a way off that yet. This restructure has been on the cards for certainly a couple of years.

5. Erthazus

Sony should go third party. Look, they invested a lot in the console which is just a PC with the same old controller that have Share button in it without any innovative technology that is not going to push gaming forward.

their gaming division is great. Third party is the best for them and they can be as big as Ubisoft or EA/Activision.

6. theevilaires

Ahh francis you really don’t know that one of SONY’s strongest portions is the gaming division so no it won’t go third party sorry to burst your bubble kid. And last time I checked you can do the same kind of business in a 1 million dollar building as you would in a $445 million dollar one. Selling the buildings are smart business moves as they know when to cut back and let go of their ego.

Nintendo on the other hand won’t surpass the PS3 sales with the Wii U ever. Its pretty much written in stone once E3 comes this year.

7. No_PUDding

Wow.

They really are going for it aren’t they?

It’s a great thing in my opinion. Much like the Yahoo and home-office situation, radical changes are a good way of reintroducing work practises and shedding the staff that are coasting. And good lord did Sony Japan need it.

I can’t say the same for the US office. But ruffling a few of those traditional feathers in Japan is good news.

8. Mike W

Wow some of you guys…..

9. Francis O

#6

First of all, I’m not a kid. Second of all, Sony’s gaming division is damn near broke.

The Wii U doesn’t need to sell as much as the PS3. It just needs to make Nintendo a profit. Which it will. The PS3 hardware was barely profitable. The 3DS will easily pass up the PS3 in sales so thats good enough. The 3DS has already passed up the lifetime sales of the PS3 in Japan.

Sony’s gaming division is in trouble. There games cost a shit load to make and sell no where near as much as Nintendo. Mario Kart Wii has outsold most every the Uncharted, God of War, and Resistence series combined.

10. dreamcastnews

11. Mike W

You sure are acting like one.

You don’t owe Nintendo anything, so why do you care if they go third party or not?

12. manamana

#9 +1

13. Mike W

This is the problem with the Internet, I fail to see the point this guy is trying to make. He got his panties in a bunch because someone wrote an article about Nintendo going third party? Who gives a fuck if they do or not?

Sony is restructuring itself as a whole, I believe that’s why they’re selling their infrastructures. So I fail to see the point your trying to make Sony going third party, because of them selling their property?

14. DSB

So a childish statement gets a childish reaction.

Wake up guys, the gaming industry is doing awful right now. It’s like argueing about who’s doing the least damage.

Personally I think there’s every reason why videogames should be on the up and up right now. It’s the newest medium out there, it still has everything left to prove, and yet it’s being collectively run into the ground.

15. OrbitMonkey

^ & all thanks to pc pirates -_-

16. DSB

@15 Fuck you all :D

17. OrbitMonkey

@16, Don’t make me get my DRM out on you boy!

18. Red Demon

I hope SONY will push harder this year and not make the same mistakes as the past couple of years. I am really hoping they kick ass this year. Also my favorite part is reading people’s comment because they can be childish and a little funny. :P

19. Mike W

Tell me about it

20. mistermogul

@13 – No I think the point he is trying to make is that people often talk about Nintendo going 3rd party but never MS or Sony.

In reality Sony are probably the more likely candidate for this to happen (which is doubtful) seeing as Nintendo have about $14 billion in cash reserves to call upon whereas Sony don’t…

21. TD_Monstrous69

OK, on how is it exactly a bad thing when a company that’s in financial trouble, and needs to raise money, while at the same time still operate and make products in a more cost-effective manner, sells the buildings that’s housing their headquarters to help do it, and how is this an indication of a bad future incoming? If anything, it’s a good move. It shows that the new regime is serious about turning around Sony as a whole, and doesn’t mind ruffling feathers of any guard within the company to do it. Also, if you look at on how Sony Computer Entertainment was turned around (which is now Sony’s most profitable division, btw), both moves are very similar, and indicative of Kaz Hirai’s management style (by this, I mean both moves are the same, other than the scale, as one was focused solely on one division, and the other was focused more company-wide), and we all know how this turned out. Also, on how the PS4 was talked about back at the unveiling, where is there any indication of them going 3rd party anytime soon? If anything, it really shows they’ve learned from the mistakes they’ve made this generation with the PS3.

22. Telepathic.Geometry

1. The idea that they sold the building to pay for the GDDR5 ram tickles me… ^-^

2. I would hate for Sony or Ninty to go 3rd party. They bring something special to the gaming world. Maybe MS as well, to some extent, but I think that MS would bring the same things in the PC space, so I don’t really care so much…

Valve, Ninty, Sony, Apple… I think that these 4 will shape the immediate short term future of gaming. Not so much MS.

23. Digital Bamboo

Anyone else think this building looks like a giant Playstation?

24. Dragon246

Before anyone opens their mouths, another fact for you, this building was up for sale for months now, it has come to news now again as they have secured a buyer for it.
    Make whatever you want to make of it.
    But this definitely shows Sony is/was in trouble, but nothing out of the ordinary. If anything, it shows Sony was clever in investing money other things when they had money, the diversification is really helping them now.
    Something big clever corps do. DIVERSIFICATION.

Also does anyone really heed #9? He only wants to get hits to his site.