PS4: DualShock 4 and camera images

Thursday, 21st February 2013 05:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Get a closer look at the PlayStation 4′s touchpad-equipped, AR-enabled controller, the DualShock 4, as well as its camera compaion, in the high-resolution images through the break.

1. HauntaVirus

Loving the new controller!

#1 1 year ago
  2. woe

Why does it look like Kinect?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Phoenixblight

Its not. Its for recognizing the depth or the Z axis of the controller like the Move controller sensor did.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

I find the new controller really sexy

#4 1 year ago
  5. mkotechno

Wow, pretty sexy, select do not exist anymore, I hope games gives you option to remap it, social options looks retarded for me. I want to play, not to browse PSNacebook.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

The select and start would probably be a gesture on the touch pad which is now where the select and start used to be.

Unless that PS logo in the center of the controller is a button.

#6 1 year ago
  7. theevilaires

i don’t want a damn share button and I definitely dont want no facebook or twitter intergration.

That controller looks like a third party one. I like the photoshop one better from earlier yesterday

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

I do! I love the social features of the PS4 being able to post video,screenshot and broadcast videos, not only that jump in and spectate a friends game. I just find that to be really awesome. Games are not about being a recluse.

#8 1 year ago
  9. theevilaires

@8 Thats cool but no stupid facebook or twitter. I hate those social retard breeding grounds called networks. I’m tired of everything being facebook intergrated or sign in with facebook. NO! I just want PSN to stay PSN.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

I am sure you will be able to tie your PSN account to Facebook. PS3 already does that. Its posts your trophies online if you activate it. I don’t see them forcing FB or Twitter integration but as an option sure why not.

#10 1 year ago
  11. alterecho

Yeah, hate Facebook or Twitter integration! You are playing the game for yourself, not for others.
    @10 I think he doesn’t want account tie ups. I understand him.

#11 1 year ago
  12. theevilaires

Still say this controller is better.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

I know what he means but I don’t see Sony forcing that on you. It would be an option if you wanted to post your screenshots or videos on FB which is something I wouldn’t mind doing with my friends.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Bomba Luigi

I really don’t want a Camera on my TV that all the Time looks at me…. Can I just don’t use the Camera and the Console still works? Like making a Tape over the Camera on the WiiU Talbet Controller, the Console givs a shit that the Camera can’t see anything.

Yeah, I am Paranoid, I know that and nobody has to tell me that.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

I don’t think its a camera camera. From what they demoed it was a sensor bar to track how far or close the controller is.

#15 1 year ago
  16. alterecho

Yeah, I guess you’re right.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Digital Bamboo

Controller looks good, but did they have to keep those darn multi-color buttons…so 90′s. Oh well, how often does a person look down at their controller anyway?

@14 You’re not paranoid Bomba. You have reason to be wary of a camera in your living room…or bedroom, especially when that camera is connected to the internet and run by a company whose online security has been compromised in the past. There have been cases of schools spying on their own students using laptop cams, even taking photos. I keep mine taped over unless I’m using it. That’s just being cautious.

Edit: Oh, well if it’s just a sensor then ignore the above.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Bomba Luigi

A Sensor Bar is the Thing the Wii had. I mean, I can see two Cameras there, very clearly Cameras. And what I can see in the Specs, that sounds all like “Camera”

#18 1 year ago
  19. Phoenixblight

Watch the livestream. He doesn’t say anything about it being a camera and then talks about what it does which all he said is that it tracked how near or far the controller was.

I am just repeating what I saw from the livestream. If it is a camera just don’t hook it up, probably for all the social interactivity.

The Next Xbox will have a kinect integrated. You won’t be able to dodge that bullet.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Bomba Luigi

@19: Yeah, thats the Move way of Keeping track, a Camera that looks where something glows around. A Camera.

Look at the Specs, it can make 1280×800 pixel Videos with 60fps, so don’t tell thats not a Camera.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

Well when I read about the Playstation Eye I thought it was completely different because as I said they didn’t utilize that thing as a camera.

#21 1 year ago
  22. manamana

First Dualshock that looks comfortable. Sexy beast.

#22 1 year ago
  23. salarta

The kind of complaints about social network integration here seem excessively paranoid.

It’s highly unlikely that Sony would force users to integrate their consoles and accounts with social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter. They know that not everyone wants to get involved with those services, or post everything they do to those services.

What IS likely is that integration with social networks will be an option should users want to do so, as we have seen confirmed so far with the PS4. Complaining that the option exists for users to take advantage of if they want to do so, just because you don’t like the idea of social media integration, is selfish and petty; it puts personal gripes above giving people the freedom to make the most of the kind of experience they want.

I really, really like the Share button, and I think that button is going to be a huge selling point for the console with the level of options. Up til now, the only default possibility for sharing the experience is screenshots, through Steam; to get an actual video, you need to buy extra hardware and integrate it with your PC. This new function will be great, because it will be the first time we get on-board video capture, and being able to start the clip at a point that has already passed is the best part of all. Now when we have awesome or hilarious moments that happen in games, it no longer has to remain a memory; we can get an actual video of it to look back on.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Samoan Spider

@23 Spot on +1

#24 1 year ago
  25. LuLshuck

fuck sake change the sticks please, you can barely run and change your weapon on almost every game because of the shit controller layout

#25 1 year ago
  26. MadFingerz

I quite like the new controller, it looks comfortable. Sort of reminds me of the cool gamepads from older consoles but way sexier.

Seems like the Select and Start buttons were replaced with the new Options button, which I can imagine will simplify things. As for the share button, I don’t imagine myself using it, or at least not on a regular basis but I still think it’s an awesome thing to have.

Also, it will now be much easier for people that like to stream their playing sessions to do so. I think the whole thing is fantastic and has great potential. Imagine this…you are struggling with getting a certain trophy, defeating a boss or passing a level. Instead of having to use your pc and go on youtube or another site to find some sort of guide, you could find a video showing how someone did it just using the console. As someone who likes to 100% certain games, this would be extremely helpfull.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Fin

Yeah I love the video streaming thing – OnLive’s video wall thing (where people could record bugs and crazy events) was great.

Same with guides and stuff – like being able to jump from the game into a video showing you how to get to the next collectable, that’d be awesome.

#27 1 year ago
  28. deathm00n

@25 Finally I understand why people like the left analog up in the controller. You use the D-Pad with the right hand while with the left hand you walk the character? Still makes no sense to me…

#28 1 year ago
  29. Samoan Spider

From an ergonomic point, I prefer having the left thumbstick above d-pad just for comfort of it whilst playing. I swapped out my dualshock for a 360 styled controller for this very reason. I know that every controller has its merit, thats just my preference. The fandangly touchy bits dont both me so provided its possible, I’ll be swapping out the controller on this console too.

Edit: Oh, and please make it a little weightier. DS3 was far too light.

#29 1 year ago
  30. NeoSquall

For those wondering where Start and Select buttons went, official PR says that the buttons have been integrated in the Options button.

And yes, the new PS Eye has 2 cameras, so you tinfoil hatters can officially go paranoid with Sony’s blessing.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Bill_E_Talent

It doesn’t look much different at a glance, but if you actually hold up a DS3 to your monitor you’ll see it is a very different controller. The space between the analog sticks is wider, the grips extend back further and are much bulkier. Should be interesting to finally hold one.

#31 1 year ago