PS4 to cost £300, according to leaked documents – report

Monday, 18th February 2013 16:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony is expected to reveal PS4 at its ‘PlayStation Meeting’ event on Wednesday. Leaked documents and sources have claimed that the console will cost £300 at launch.

According to The Times, “leaked internal documents” confirm the price-tag which – if true – mark a significant reduction from the PS3′s original price-tag of £425.

Meanwhile, we’ve got all of the big PS4 rumours compiled into one handy list before the big reveal on Wednesday. Check it out here.

Thanks Gi.biz.

1. Kabby

Maybe they will launch a few tiers of device starting at 299 for the weaksauce model? I’m not a fan of those shenanigans but it seems like the cool thing to do these days.

#1 1 year ago
  2. nikk900

That would be a nice price for me. A big drop from the ps3 start price.

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

Awesome if true but suggest tech may not be that powerful. But maybe it doesn’t? Reason the PS3 was so high was because Blu-Ray was brand spanking new and the cost to produce those things were expensive. Now that they are much cheaper the price of the PS4 will be much lower because we won the final physical disk war…. Yay SONY!

This just in the 720 will be $599 to pay for Blu-ray rights ;)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

Blu Ray was not expensive compared to their crappy processor.
    PS2 was not expensive because of DvD player too.

@1, Probably bigger hardware, better price like with SLIM PS3′s

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

That is what about 465usd? Sorry little rusty on my currency exchanges.

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

^ Usually it’s the contrary, the US always get the cheapest deal compared to the UK and especially EU.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

Nah not quite. £300 will include sales tax here which is a whopping 20%. So it should equate to about $400 in the US I would think.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Bomba Luigi

More interessting than the Price it will have in the Store, is for me the Question on what Condition Sony will sell it. Theres a Big diffrent between a System you can buy for 300 and Sony makes money with it, and a System for the same Price and Sony sell it at loss.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OlderGamer

Thnx Doc.

400usd is about what I was expecting(somewhat lower tbh). But wondering if we will see multi SKUs. Prolly. Maybe two. One for 400usd and another for maybe 450usd or 500usd.

I was expecting 500usd and 550usd.

Better, but still a tuff sell I think. Not to the dedicated so much but the the folks after launch, the more mass market types.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Beta

£300 is a pretty good price for a new console. Much better than the PS3 launch price was anyway.

They can’t afford to sell at a loss surely.

#10 1 year ago
  11. RandomTiger

Shame we wont be able to buy it at the same time as the other regions.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

This is probably the bare minimum tier which still isn’t bad and if true it will directly compete with the WiiU assuming Nintendo don’t do a pricecut before this system releases.

#12 1 year ago
  13. daytripper

A worldwide release would be ideal, doubt it though

#13 1 year ago
  14. SeWICX

This is horrible news.
    I am serious, why make it so cheap?

Cheap console, means cheaper components. Which means less powerful hardware.

I don’t wanna buy a cheap mid-range console, I want it to be at least 400 minimum.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Cobra951

@14: £300 is cheap for a console? I think $300 US is the sweet spot for maximizing revenue. No console priced higher than that sweeps the marketplace. Cost of development is irrelevant. Even if that comes in at $500 a unit initially, the developer has to eat the difference if they expect to sell enough units to grab enough market share, and make it up on software sales. This is nothing new.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

And it really isn’t that cheap.

If you want the highest end components, go buy a Gaming Rig PC. Consoles are always going to be medium ranged mass market devices.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Fin

$350/€350/£300 I’d say.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hunam

I don’t see why I wont meet that price. I mean for the PS3 they went and developed a brand new CPU, this time they just went to AMD and asked what they got that could do the job.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Gheritt White

This would be amazing! If they can launch new consoles for between £300 and £350 GBP, then I really think the next gen will be off to a flying start.

#19 1 year ago
  20. SlayerGT

Shit that’s less than I’ve saved in my console fund…fuck it, give me two :P

#20 1 year ago
  21. mistermogul

£300 is a good starting price for PS4 I’m thinking.

Also will be interesting to see if it forces Nintendo’s hand to a price cut and get MS to follow suit…

#21 1 year ago
  22. manamana

It will be like $300 / £300 / €450. EU always pay a friggin premium. Always.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Erthazus

£300 is a really good price for the system that is worth the money. Ps4 need to prove that it is worth 300£

#23 1 year ago
  24. deathm00n

@22 And in South America maybe $600 after 1 year, yay! No matter how deep in the shit you are, there’s always someone suffocating in it.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

At $300, this thing will sell like crazy, as long as the tech is at least noticeably better than a PS3 game.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Dragon246

Great price imo.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Sylrissa

The original PS3 retailed for 1000 here in Australia.

So even if it launches any where close to the price being stated, it will be a massive reduction in cost for us, so I’d be quite pleased with that.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Stardog

The PS3 launched at about £425 which killed it day one.

I didn’t buy a PS3 until it was £250 and came bundled with Uncharted 3. £300 is a good price.

#28 1 year ago
  29. xxJPRACERxx

@4 The Bluray drive was the most expensive component in the PS3. Problems in the manufacturing process of the lenses are also the reason of the delay of several months.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Gadzooks!

Sony seem to be making some smart decisions with this machine. Improved controller, sensible architecture, sensible price.

If they make as smart decisions on their OS as their hardware then I think it will take off quickly.

Microsoft need to have something much, much stronger than Kinect to be able to compete for the next gen.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Moonwalker1982

That really would be a very good thing indeed. Really hoping MS is gonna bring the big guns as well and yes i agree, they need a whole lot more than some bulshitty Kinect 2 titles. Big 360 fan here, but i’m having my doubts about MS and their ways lately. That’s not to say that i’m expecting everything to be perfect about the PS4…but we’ll see.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Hunam

To be honest, I think I’m siding with PS4 at the moment. The 360 was amazing, I’ve had some great times with it as it’s been used about 15x more than my PS3, but the PS3 has been taking over lately as I can’t be bothered to pay for online anymore and all the adverts and the rest of the crap is putting me off even using it. I admit I only play exclusives on the PS3 and single player only but i’ve been finding a lot of japanese gems that just didn’t make it to the 360 to play lately.

I can’t see microsoft returning to sensible decision making anytime soon so for now, I’m jumping ship.

#32 1 year ago
  33. fearmonkey

The question is whether stores like Gamestop and others will only allow you to buy the console as a bundle, which happened with the Xbox and the 360 at launch.

It pretty much meant spending $500 at least on day one purchase.

I’m interested in seeing how MS reacts to whatever Sony does. I hope Sony makes MS squirm, and I hope Sony makes MS really work for our money. I feel MS got really complacent when they became number one in the states, they dont really try to keep our business, where Sony at least tries a bit more.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Beta

Definitely siding with PS4. Microsoft is getting complacent and losing focus. They need a good kick up the arse to get back in gear.

And I hope Sony can give it to them.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Dark

“PS4 ‘may allow users to compete against others using different hardware”

#35 1 year ago
  36. Hunam

I honestly think this NEEDS to happen. Splitting PS3/360 users up is just stupid as it halves the amount of people you’ll find online and means multiple server set ups for the publisher.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Phoenixblight

In a perfect world that would happen but it won’t. MS and Sony will always be segregated online service.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Fin

@35, 36

The article is talking about tablets and smartphones, not other consoles

“Sony’s new console may also allow users to compete against others using different hardware, such as smartphones and other portable devices, those people said.”

#38 1 year ago
  39. Moonwalker1982

I wouldn’t give up on MS so fast. I mean, we did got some great exclusives on there and don’t forget 360′s head start from PS3′s. 360 had the Halo games, the very good Forza games and IMO much better than GT. It had Crackdown 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, the Gears of War games which all were very enjoyable and good looking in my opinion. And the PGR games, probably some more but this is what i can come up with right now.

PS3 does have a few more interesting exclusives, however they didn’t have a great online system with working party chat/cross chat. MS had no nonsense like mandatory and very long installs and what not and so on. I DO agree that lately MS has been messing around and i’m expecting and hoping that they will bring some great exclusives to their system. Not just sequals, something new. I’m hoping Ruffian comes with something interesting. I wonder if Rare can still actually make a very good games. We’ll see. I’m alright with Kinect 2 crap, as long as they have games for the real gamers out there too. I’m expecting to be buying both systems again.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Hunam

Can’t really comment on Forza as I don’t like racing games, and have Witcher 2 on PC. But Gears is worn out. Badly worn out. Then again so is Uncharted if I think about it. Halo is as good as ever but it’s not enough anymore. But at one point MS had a great stable of exclusives like Mass Effect 1! That was back when they were on fire but now they just want to push Kinect which I don’t have and can’t house. Sony has loads of japanese stuff like Yakuza, the good version of Final Fantasy, odd stuff like Rune Factory Oceans and Ni No Kuni, plus western stuff like Quantic Dreams games, Sly, Ratchet and Clank etc.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Phoenixblight

I sold my 360 a few months ago because it wasn’t being used. I bought the system for Mass Effect if I had known that all of the Mass Effect games would be on Ps3 or PC I would have just left it alone. The 360 did absolutely nothing for me. I don’t care about the Gears of War games, I enjoy them but I have always rented them. I use the PS3 for exclusives, netflix, amazon instant video and music along with it being a Blu-ray player. All of those things I don’t have to pay a subscription to access then to top it off PSN+ MS has lost it for me they seem more focused on being a multi-media service than a gaming device.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Moonwalker1982

I have to admit that i didn’t like all exclusives of MS, cause i’m not a big racing fan, but they definitely were great games. I always loved Gears though, but i agree about it being worn out. Halo too, Halo 4 was awesome but i don’t nessecarily need a Halo 5 right away. I’ve used the 360 a whole lot more than the PS3 because i bought all the multiplatform games on 360, simply because i’m always in a party with friends when i’m gaming and PS3 doesn’t let me. Plus all my friends have a 360 and only one or two have a PS3. I agree though that PS3 now clearly has the better exclusives.

I hope MS comes with a new exclusive or two that is really interesting for the gamer that made their Xbox 360 such a succes, before the crap Kinect shit came in. MS needs those fans and if they alienate them…that’s never good. I also don’t believe right away that Sony will get it all right this time, the rumors suggest they have, but i won’t believe it until i see it. I’m also hoping that the reason we haven’t really had brand new exclusives on 360 lately, is because those devs have been put on working on next-gen games. For a while now there have been several reports and rumours about brand new Microsoft IP’s in the making, also some kind of AAAAA game or something, lol. Rare was said to be hiring people for a shooter a year ago or so, Ruffian was said to be making something new, clearly has gone next-gen. Oh and of course Alan Wake’s developer Remedy. How the fuck did i forget themjust now..a very strong exclusive Alan Wake is. New game from them, etc.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Hunam

Alan Wake was great, but it was loads better on PC :P

#43 1 year ago
  44. TD_Monstrous69

Okay, researched the currency exchange rate for the reported price, and have found that in usd, the PS4 would cost $400, which is a really good price if you ask me (though the exact number in the currency exchange rate [according to Google], is 401.34). Just hope the price turns out to be true, and not another face palm moment, courtesy of Sony.
    Just a little under 2 days, can’t wait.

#44 1 year ago
  45. ManuOtaku

And like a famous tv announcer, the price is right.
    I like it, hope the 360 is on those lines and without the stupid always connected thing and the second hand issue.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Lateralis_ip

But the price is in british pounds, not euros so the rigth conversion is like 465 dlls.

#46 1 year ago
  47. LuLshuck

Bet all you dumb cunts buy this shit and realize that if yous waited a year you could of been getting a slim or a better version with a bigger hard drive and 4 games all at the same price

#47 1 year ago
  48. sircam

Let’s hope :D

#48 1 year ago
  49. Da Man

Another overpriced hardware from the usual Sony catalog of disasters.

#49 1 year ago