PS4 – another report claims the console will use Gaikai to stream games

Saturday, 16th February 2013 13:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The WSJ is reporting that PS4 will use Gaikai to stream games specifically for “current PlayStation 3 titles” on the new console, but will also using traditional disc-based methods to play games.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this.

According to sources speaking with the news outlet, Sony will unveil the new tech next week along with “higher fidelity cameras” for Move and a touch-pad on the new controller.

WSJ notes it’s unsure how Sony will charge for the service, but it will make titles less easy to share or resell, obviously.

Sony spent $380 million on its acquisition of the Gaikai service, so it will need to recoup those costs somehow.

We’ll all know more come Wednesday, February 20.

Thanks, Dark.

1. Erthazus

Cool.

So I need to buy my PS3 games again? No thank you Sony.

#1 1 year ago
  2. LuLshuck

Love how before sony announced this 20th of feb thing there were barely any rumors and now theres shit loads, 90% of these have to be bullshit

#2 1 year ago
  3. Valkryst12

“but will also using traditional disc-based methods to play games.” It isn’t clear though if that’s in regard to previous PS3 content or just stating the obvious about PS4 games.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dark

Maybe it’s going to be part of the PS+ subscription.

or

They could have it , so it recognize your ps3 blu-ray disc which then authorises the streaming of that game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bashtee

I guess we will have to wait and see, how it will be implemented. Nonetheless, there shouldn’t be any doubt that Gaikai will be implemented in some way.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Exactly. I re-read that bit in the article three or four times and just gave up trying to decide what they meant. I did find it funny though that it referred to discs as “new games stored on optical discs” – like people don’t know what discs are now and days.

By the way, to read the WSJ article, just paste the headline from the site link into google search and then right click to open in new tab and you can read the whole thing without subbing. I think all of you know this by now, but some might not.

As far as the streaming bit goes, I don’t know how that would work out here in BFE for me. My Internet can be really spotty more times than not, and don’t even get me started on cell service. You’d think I lived in the middle of the Sahara or something. :/

#6 1 year ago
  7. Valkryst12

@6 Haha yeah, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it! Either way, I’ll be keeping my PS3 anyway.. backwards compatibility would be a nice treat, however one of Sony’s priorities will be keeping console costs down.

Oh and don’t get started on internet! No-way is any game streaming going to be going on in my house which is atop a mountain surrounded by Koalas and bloodthirsty Roo’s!

#7 1 year ago
  8. TD_Monstrous69

Way to be nearly a half of a day late on this story (while at the same time, being 5 hours ahead of me), but ah well. I think this is a great idea, but what they need to do is clear up exactly on how it is Gaikai integration will work. Will people have to re-pay for each of their PS3 games, or will it be a subscription-based service, where you pay one flat rate for a year, and your entire PS3 catalog of games is available? Or, here’s an idea, will the PS4′s disc drive identify a PS3 game disc when inserted, and launch the PlayStation/Gaikai app, so the game could be played (considering the supposed differences in development architecture between the PS3 and PS4)?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Christopher Jack

Gaikai doesn’t even operate down under yet. I truly hope Sony will include an affordable add on for BC of PS3 games, the PS4 would be more than powerful enough to emulate PS2 & PSOne games but I wonder if they will bother including BC for either. BC was a very important feature for current(at the time) PSOne owners & probably a major factor in helping it achieve such sales.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Beta

Doesn’t really affect me. I have a PS3 and a working PS2 slim.

Besides which my internet speed is nowhere near good enough to even think about streaming games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@8 I stop work at 5pm EST. If it happens after my shift ends there is nothing I can do about it being late. We’re not chained to our desks contrary to popular belief. Pat’s not a slave driver. :p

#11 1 year ago
  12. TD_Monstrous69

@Stephany Just messin with ya is all. I like and trust VG247, and I don’t doubt yours or anyone else’s work ethic there. Thank you for the clarity

#12 1 year ago
  13. Stephany Nunneley

@12 No problem! Just letting you know is all. :P I’d work all the time if life/my brain would let me – but sadly, it doesn’t want to cooperate. :D

#13 1 year ago
  14. osric90

A powerful console running some kind of Steam (to account download, not STREAM) system with PS1, PS2 and PS3 (obviously PS3 too) games would be GODLY. Originals and HD Remasters, commercial and indie, physical and downloadable, every single one of them (or at least “those ones”). And for us who have already bought the games, some kind of authentication so we don’t have to buy them all over again. Now THAT would be NEXT-GEN. CD, DVD and Blu-ray laser too of course. 2 to 4 TB hard drive. Sounds too much? Well I was expecting something like that for NEXT-GEN.

#14 1 year ago
  15. mkotechno

Well, the obvious implementation is that inserting a ps3 disc into ps4 gives you free access of this title as streaming version.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

That would be obvious but if Sony didn’t create a way to identify the disks then they can’t do it that way.

#16 1 year ago
  17. mkotechno

@16 I’m pretty sure PS4 will have all the needed hardware to identify PS3 discs… that are… mmm… a Bluray reader.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phoenixblight

Not how it works. BLu-ray is just a medium to transport the data its how it is burned to the disc and then read. By your logic I could grab any BLu-ray player and play a game and yet I can’t why is that? Because what Sony uses to burn it the disc and then how the system reads it. If there is a way to find and locate the ID of the game without actually reading the game then they could use that to activate through their streaming service.

#18 1 year ago