PS4 controller screenshot appears online – rumor

Thursday, 14th February 2013 20:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Destructoid has been handed a screenshot of what appears to be the new PS4 controller. The site isn’t sure about it, and neither are we, but there you go. It shows the rumored touchscreen or touch-pad depending on the rumor, and revamped twiddle sticks, and appears to be plugged into a devkit. The controller looks rather “thick” to us, but that could just be the picture angle. Judge for yourself. Sony is hosting a NYC event next week where it’s rumored to be announcing its new console.

1. OlderGamer

Could be, all comes down to the feel. The day I pick up an offical PS pad and like it…watch out lol.

But yeah the screen looks too small to be much use. Reminds me of the DreamCast VMU in that regaurd. Displays a bit of info, but are you going to be able to actualy do with it?

Cut and paste of my reaction from the forums, where Cyber scooped ya.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 “where Cyber scooped ya..”

Well, we do get lunch breaks. :p

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

No! No food for you!!

;)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 HAHA! It sure feels like that today! ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Heartfyre

It looks very…prototype-y.

It could be that it is legit, but comes from a debug system whereby the form factor of the controller is not-final, and the one we see next week will be different. Or some case-modder made a controller and threw it up on Imgur to fan false speculation, either/or.

#5 1 year ago
  6. manamana

Looks bulkier, which is a good thing.

#6 1 year ago
  7. fengato

Glad to see a Vita style d-pad – find it very comfy indeed.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

I kind of think it looks sexy tbh. I just would like to see a PS pad with less of a bend/tilt down in the “Handles” and instead more of a contoured feeling in same. They just don’t fit comfortably in my hands.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gheritt White

Nice one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Anders

Looks like it has taken a few cues from the 360 controller, which I’m all for. I do hope they have refined it a bit from the version in the screenshot though (whatever version it is).

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

Gotta be fast Steph! :p

Well, the controller still maintains the DualShock feeling. I find the new d-pad and the concave/convex sticks a nice change.

#11 1 year ago
  12. kaffikjelen

Probably legit, and thankfully, not completely revised.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DGOJG

I just hope the L2/R2 buttons have been improved at the very least.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SlayerGT

Happy Valentines Steph! :)

So im confused, the rumor that it’s a touchpad (back of Vita) or a touch screen?

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheBlackHole

Looks legit. Seems like they’ve tried to emulate the 360 a little by thickening the handles, but the sticks are still in a stupid place and the D-Pad looks terrible.

I didn’t expect anything less from a Sony controller, but (and I never thought I’d say this), I think I like the look of the current DS more!?!?

#15 1 year ago
  16. fearmonkey

I don’t have a Vita, but it had a touchpad underneath doesnt it? I think that would have been better. The touch screen doesnt have to be big, just enough to pinch and swipe to go through menus. I think I like the idea better than having an actual large second screen in my hands, or forcing me to use a Kinect2.

Fake or not i like the look of it, though I still prefer the asymmetrical stick layout.
    I like that box its plugged into, looks a bit smaller than the original PS3….
    (I kid…I kid…)

#16 1 year ago
  17. KrazyKraut

this is bullshit. destructoid just wants traffic

#17 1 year ago
  18. SplatteredHouse

I hope that’s some fabrication for merriment of a modder. It doesn’t strike me as especially bold. Safe. But then again, if it is real, we don’t know much about the machine it’s going to be attached to yet. Oh, hurry on Wednesday lol

#18 1 year ago
  19. KAP

Touch screen and touch-pad is two complete different things bud.
    The fact people to this day get the two confused is beyond me…

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gekidami

“Rumored touch screen”? I thought it was rumoured to have a touch pad?

#20 1 year ago
  21. TheBlackHole

Ah, who the hell am I kidding. It’s real people.

It doesn’t quite look as bland as that now (it’s not Matte, for a start), but that’s pretty close to the final controller.

The light on the top is essentially part of PS Move, if that wasn’t already obvious. So now ALL your Sony shit glows up.

Also, I find it more interesting that nobody has questioned what the box on top of the ‘dev kit’ is :)

#21 1 year ago
  22. SlayerGT

@19 like me..which is it supposed to be?? I always thought it was a touch pad. I believe I’ve read both but I personally never expected a screen.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DGOJG

@21 The black box looks like the Wii dev kit http://i.imgur.com/5l8gtWt.jpg

Heres the PS3 one for comparison to the silver kit http://i.imgur.com/5V0lUdB.jpg

#23 1 year ago
  24. stevenhiggster

Looks quite good, if it is legit.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Gekidami

Thats exactly what that is, nice find. The fact that this supposed dev kit is next to one we can confirm as real makes it seem pretty legit.

Those holes on the pad would indicate a built-in mic and/or speaker. Either that or its just for dev build cooling purposes, i assume it looks so thick because its a dev build too.

#25 1 year ago
  26. MadFlavour

Hey Sony it’s the size analogue stick positions and lack of triggers stupid. Yes a little screen in it might be cool, but lets start with the fucking basics.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Patrick Garratt

I haven’t personally seen it, but that fits the description I’ve been given.

Also, regarding the blue section. I strongly suspect that’s Move integration.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Clupula

Looks a little thick, but at least the sticks are still in the right place. Also curious as to where the Start and Select buttons are now.

Not as bad as I was worried it would be.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Patrick Garratt

I was told the Start/Select buttons were “flush with the pad” to stop you pressing them accidentally. Are they underneath?

#29 1 year ago
  30. NeoSquall

I’ll just say it looks heinous.

@29 Select Button is NE of the horrible D-pad.

#30 1 year ago
  31. CyberMarco

“An industry source familiar with the new system tells us the photo is the real deal. But bear in mind, it may not represent the final form of the controller.”

According to Kotaku.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Gekidami

Start/Select could be the two (what look like) buttons to the left & right of the middle part, you cant see them on the small pic up there but you can on this bigger one:

Maybe they arent properly named on the dev kit pads?

#32 1 year ago
  33. theevilaires

Can’t wait until the 20th :D and can’t wait to hear all the haters of SONY from the pass 6 years bow down to their greatness. The hype for this thing officially went into the stratosphere. The dualshock 4 is shaping up to be good.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

@32 – Hmmm…those look like they’d be easier to press accidentally, not harder, especially the one near the d-pad. I can’t imagine anyone playing as Zangief not hitting select accidentally.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Christopher Jack

I don’t see the point of a touch pad on a controller with analog sticks. I can’t see any practical use of it, gimmicky shit at best. At least a touch screen can have its uses, namely for quick access to inventory & statistics, perhaps rear vision in a racing game, really just all sorts of near things yet to be explored.

My problem with nintendo’s approach has more to do with the power of the consoles & the fact that 99% of my games are Multiplatform. I simply have no reason to have a DS or Wii u.

#35 1 year ago
  36. daytripper

Looks ok I guess, like to try it first. It best have triggers.

#36 1 year ago
  37. xino

this probably a prototype or early build!

i like the design but feels like an old PC controller or some cheap Nyko controller.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Erthazus

@35, For PS3 browser for example touch pad is a nice addition.

#38 1 year ago
  39. OlderGamer

Tea, your gonna see gamers that have claimed to be non loyal buy into the PS4 if it is good enough. Your not looking at Sony haters so much(sure there are a few), and more looking at people that didn’t like the PS3. I was one of those people.

I am not all that excited about the next gen of consoles, MS or Sony. But I would be lying if I said I wasn’t keeping an eye out. If something impresses me enough, I will buy one.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Christopher Jack

@38, It wouldn’t be much better than browsing with just the left stick & that would hardly be enough to justify its existence.

#40 1 year ago
  41. CyberMarco

^ Maybe it’ll be used to register your games using your fingerprints! Probably there will be a needle so it can trace your DNA too :p

#41 1 year ago
  42. Hunam

So are we all just going to go stupid mental till we actually see something?

I do have to admit I love the anticipation of a new console reveal!

#42 1 year ago
  43. ps3fanboy

looks like the x360fanboys got what they asked for… poor ds controller, it now got obesity issues.

#43 1 year ago
  44. SlayerGT

That a jack for a “cheap-comes-in-the-box headset” on the bottom middle ala 360 controller? So everyone gets a mic.

#44 1 year ago
  45. daytripper

The 360 controller is great apart from the woeful d-pad so if Sony can manage to clone that as much as possible then fantastic news :-D

#45 1 year ago
  46. SlayerGT

@45 that’s up to preference and opinion. I don’t see why they couldn’t make two though..like the oringal Xbox.

#46 1 year ago
  47. daytripper

&46 Of course it’s opinion,I never stated fact so why you said that I don’t know. my opinion is if they can recreate somewhat and perhaps improve on one of the best controllers produced then great, brilliant, very happy

#47 1 year ago
  48. SlayerGT

@47 I just feel differently towards the controllers in question than you do. Just trying to converse..no worries.

#48 1 year ago
  49. datass

That’s usb 3.0 port, amirite? Its blue

#49 1 year ago
  50. daytripper

@48 No problem pal, have a drink on me :-)

#50 1 year ago
  51. SlayerGT

@50 You got it chief ;)

#51 1 year ago
  52. LuLshuck

That looks…. uncomfortable

#52 1 year ago
  53. noamlol2

well the analog sticks are finaly cave-in still the controller looks silly and still small as fuck

why did they include a touch screen? they could easily add extra buttons below the controller

just like the madcatz F.P.S PRO

#53 1 year ago
  54. Telepathic.Geometry

I hope that those analogue sticks are better than the existing controller’s, which are in my opinion, pants. It’s a shame that they’re going with a front touch pad, I was hoping that back touching would be in play, which might have meant Vita games coming to PS4 too, and have an extra input while playing. Maybe to reload weapons, or swipe ID cards or something…

#54 1 year ago
  55. DeVitowned

I hope the new Playstation lets me donate sperm and share it over a revamped PSN.

One more thing, the cord going into the controller looks permanent, as opposed to removable USB.

#55 1 year ago
  56. TD_Monstrous69

To me, this looks just a little too prototyped to be anything final. But if this is where they’re going with the next controller, I say, it looks like a step in the right direction. Just a little under 5 days now.

#56 1 year ago
  57. melonbuster1

This is why they lose. They do things and don’t support them and copy other people’s moves. The answer to everything from Sony is more power. They better put a headset in the box and the fake Kinect cam they have if they want to compete. But they won’t. The system one controller and a demo disc. The 720 will come with the system hdmi cables Kinect 2.0 one controller the new xbox live a 48hr pass and be $50 cheaper than the ps4! !! Sony loses again!

#57 1 year ago
  58. daytripper

Lol@55

#58 1 year ago
  59. Clupula

@55 – Nah, it looks like the USB cable that goes into my PS3 controllers.

#59 1 year ago
  60. GwynbleiddiuM

That touch pad can host an action bar should anyone develop a MMORPG for PS4. Regular RPGs as well. Can host a number of features. I like the change in analogues as well.

#60 1 year ago
  61. peteb

If that is a screen on the front it really proves the Dreamcast was indeed ahead of its time. :)

Looks good though – happy with the concave sticks. Roll on the 20th!

#61 1 year ago
  62. CyberMarco

Yeah, something like the touchpad/screen that razer switchblade has.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Pip

Sony had technology similar to Kinect way before Microsoft.

#63 1 year ago
  64. G1GAHURTZ

Is it a screen (we all know what a screen is), or a pad (like on the back of the Vita, only used for touch)?

#64 1 year ago
  65. Patrick Garratt

It’s a pad, not a screen. It like the Vita’s back trackpad. It’s just used for movement, not display.

#65 1 year ago
  66. DrDamn

Touchpad is too small to be useful I think. Unless there is a way of illumination or display beneath it then I’m a bit perplexed as to what it can add. If they could light it up – even in a basic way underneath then you could use it for hot keys etc. Otherwise it’s just a bit of an oddity. PS4′s sixaxis. You’d also think they might try and match the aspect ratio of the screen?

Shape looks like they’ve modified and smoothed things out – actually looks quite nice. I don’t mind the stick placement and it looks like they’ve addressed the convex-ness of the stick (and allegedly the crappy triggers). So evolution in shape rather than revolution.

The light on the front for Move functionality is probably the more interesting part – quite a lot they can do with that I reckon.

Some people have mentioned a line indicating a detachable left hand side but I’m just not seeing it.

#66 1 year ago
  67. DrDamn

If the silver box is the PS4 devkit, left and right hand sides have covered elements – are these the dual cameras for Move functionality?

#67 1 year ago
  68. G1GAHURTZ

Thanks, Pat. I thought so.

#68 1 year ago
  69. CyberMarco

THIS is the controller’s true functionality!!!

*edit*

Damn those HTML links, can’t get it working… Got it now! :P

#69 1 year ago
  70. DrDamn

URL fail Marco :), you can work it out from what you used. I’ll leave you to correct it.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Dragon246

Wait, so this controller contains -
    Rumble+sixaxis+touchpad+move(from the light on the front)+speaker/microphone
    Very interesting and I am a bit surprised that were able to cramp all that in there.
    Although lets see how this pans out games wise.

#71 1 year ago
  72. DrDamn

Sixaxis could be done through just the Move light potentially. Move currently uses coloured balls from which the camera image is analysed and size and position of the controller (including distance) can be determined. The accuracy is gained through a combination of gyroscopes, accelerometers and the image analysis. If the image quality was better and given the light shape is now a rectangle not a sphere you could get a lot more info from just that. Angle, tilt, distance. The sixaxis functionality is all there, with the caveat that the camera needs a good view of the light.

#72 1 year ago
  73. Dragon246

@72,
    Yeah I know that. But how useful all this feature cramming will be remains to be seen.
    This seems costly.

#73 1 year ago
  74. melonbuster1

Another thing they won’t support. .why? Because they know you buy the logo. The brand is what you care about. Sony people buy Sony products even though they don’t lead the market in anything. . T.v ,handheld, blurays, computers anything. They just aren’t good. But you express this fandom. Last place again.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Gadzooks!

This is basically confirmation of the rumour of a bundled Kinect-alike isn’t it?

Looks like a positive step for the controller. Much more 360-like proportions, improvements on the awful DS analog sticks, hopefully usable triggers this time round. More 360-like in general, apart from the left stick is still in the wrong place.

Touchpad seems a bit useless though.

Good riddance to the current DS design. It’s only 7 years overdue.

#75 1 year ago
  76. rafterman83

Looks to be the work of a company that truly has run out of ideas. Looks pig-ugly too.

#76 1 year ago
  77. freedoms_stain

What it looks like is a prototype. Lets leave it at that until they reveal the final product, shall we?

#77 1 year ago
  78. OmegaSlayer

I’m worried about the price LOL

#78 1 year ago
  79. DrDamn

Another pic has surfaced … http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47758269&postcount=2436

Click and hold pic to see bigger image.

#79 1 year ago
  80. M. K.

It looks more and more like a fake to me. Atleast I hope it’s a fake :/

#80 1 year ago
  81. TheBlackHole

I still don’t like the thumbstick placement, and I think it’s an ugly controller, but I do think it will be better than the current DS.

Perhaps even enough for me to use it :)

#81 1 year ago
  82. TheBlackHole

@80. Sorry, but it’s real.

#82 1 year ago
  83. DrDamn

Also interesting …

I’d say this one might be fake but it must have been done quickly as it includes a lot of elements from the other leaked pics. Including positioning of start/select. Prefer other leaked pics, but like this functionality of basic display – all it needs to become a lot more useful.

#83 1 year ago
  84. GwynbleiddiuM

@83 I think the touch pad on the controller would be something similar to that and of Razer’s switchblade. The start and select will be on the touch pad.

#84 1 year ago
  85. DrDamn

On the more confirmed shots there are flush buttons at those points too, on both sides.

#85 1 year ago
  86. manamana

@82 good to know. I actually think that the thumbs might rest a bit better on this controller. And due to the matte bulkyness might be even better to hold than the flimsy PS3 controller.

#86 1 year ago
  87. Eddie Rodrigues

They fixed the D-pad, yet everything else looks fugly and uncomfortable… If I can use the PSVita as a controller then no worries

#87 1 year ago
  88. ManuOtaku

I do also think this is not the final desing, therefore i will reserve my judgement waiting for the final one, although i might say it looks promising, if this is the early desings, it did improved a lot of things, especially that horrendous trigers.

#88 1 year ago