Xbox 360 global sales reach 76 million

Tuesday, 12th February 2013 02:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

76 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold around the world – three times the number of original Xbox, Microsoft executives said at the at the D: Dive into Media conference this week. Kinect sales have reached 24 million, or roughly one-third of the Xbox 360′s total. Xbox Live now boasts 46 million members, a 15% increase on last year, and has clocked up 18 billion hours of entertainment usage. During 2012, Xbox Live Gold members averaged 87 hours per month using the service.

1. G1GAHURTZ

POW!!!

Take that in the face, SDF! Get back in third! Mwahahahahaaaaa….

/leaves

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gekidami

Nope.

#2 1 year ago
  3. aprotosis

And all of that with pretty much no help from the Japanese market. Or is this where we pretend that Japanese sales numbers are relevant anymore?

#3 1 year ago
  4. pukem0n

cmon Microsoft, start giving us great first party games again.

New IPs like Sony is doint with Beyond or The Last of Us.

Hate to admit it, but Sony is bringing it on hard with exclusive titles, even though Microsoft has the better console experience.
    Also, MS needs to give europeans more stuff to play with. US gets all the glory here

#4 1 year ago
  5. nhowell14

This is not intended to provoke any fanboys; this is an honest to God experience that I’ve had with the 360 platform:

I’ve owned a total of 12 360s that either had the RROD E74 error or the RDOD E74 error. I loved the original blades, but having the new tile-based/avatar system is a joke. I don’t pay $60/year to get advertisements on my gaming console. Other than Halo and Gears there are no true exclusives to the 360 that I enjoy, but the 3rd party games are indeed the better experience. I did at one point love the 360 (before the 4th one died and before they removed the blade OS) but I really have to wonder how many of the 76 million sold were part of people like me going out to buy a new console instead of getting them repaired?

To even things out, I haven’t been happy since Sony broke my original “fat” 60GB with the 4.20 update, and had 2 slim consoles brick with the same update. They wouldn’t even fix the fat one for free, claimed it was my fault. So in all fairness I’m not at all happy with how either company has treated hardware this generation.

Ninty on the other hand, other than the stupid slow OS for the Wii U and the random freeze during Assassin’s Creed 3, I’ve had zero problems with their HD console.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

12 consoles in 8 years?
    Yerrr, I don’t believe that.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

“Xbox Live now boasts 46 million members”

I believe this is the number MS is looking at when deciding whether or not to have an “always on” ecosystem. If that’s enough for them they don’t need the rest of the folks who don’t have internet..

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

Both numbers, are inflated and don’t pinpoint the exact amount. Numbers are like that, they are most often used in the industry to boost or sell something.

No way 76million unique console owners are out there. Just like no way 46million people are activly paying for Gold.

My house alone has purchased 5 or 6 systems and has 4 different Live accounts. Now we only have 2 Live accounts and two systems. My youngest son and mine. But a hefty number of those 76million sold are replacments. I have zero idea what %, no one does.

I have also bought a replacement PS3. So I accounted for 2 of those 70something million as well.

Just becarefull how you read numbers, someone is almost always trying to put a spin on them.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@8 I absolutely agree OG. I myself am on my 3rd 360 and have two live accounts. I guess my point was that MS must know how many actual active live users they have, and if they indeed go “always online” next Gen..it must be high enough to make them happy. All rumors of course. Just was thinking about that.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Christopher Jack

@6, while I doubt it too, especially when he claims to buy it again himself, the failure rate certainly leaves space for such extremes to happen. He could have also unintentionally added to it with poor insulation, etc.

#10 1 year ago
  11. nhowell14

@#6 Mr. Fin,

I understand being a little mouthy xbot, I really do, but considering I have been buying the 360 since Nov. 2005, right after basic training, I’m pretty sure my explanation is plausible and my current lack of respect for Microsoft and the 360 as a platform justifiable. Just a reminder, I experienced worse customer service with Sony and the PS3 but had far fewer console failures.

1st-No HDD, non-HDMI model -RROD
    2nd-Pro 20GB model non-HDMI -RROD
    3rd and 4th were the same as the 3rd model. Mind you, this was LONG BEFORE Microsoft even acknowledged the RROD. I know this, because I called them often.
    5th (4th)20GB “Pro” with the HDMI
    6th 120GB “Elite” RROD
    7th another “Elite” with the RROD
    8th tried another Arcade so I could get my Oblivion fix, Disc drive failure for that one
    9th Halo 3 edition 20GB model RROD
    10th another Halo 3 edition after i returned the initial one to the store, also RROD
    the 11th was the 4GB “Slim” model, had a bad internal Wifi card, returned to recieve my 12th only this time it was the 250GB model whence i got to find out that crafty old Microsoft had removed the lights that circle the power button so that there would be no more “Ring of death” but instead the middle dot glows red. Nice

Still have a hard time believing? Shoot me your twitter and I’ll be happy to show you the pictures. I’m assuming you may have just bought a 360 within the last few years and now defend it tooth and nail to justify your purchase. That’s fine and dandy, but I have no patience for exceptionally shallow idiots such as yourself.

Dear Christopher Jack, I have no patience for a month and a half turn-around for MS to “fix” my console or provide me a refurb. I’d rather spend the money to get a new one. And I don’t know about you, but I always ensure the utmost care for my consoles. I just do what some of you obviously do not, game.

#11 1 year ago