David Cage offers nine examples of how the industry can “grow up”

Wednesday, 6th February 2013 20:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“It’s time to reassess who we are, and what we are doing,” said David Cage during his DICE 2013 talk today, before showing slides detailing nine ways in which the gaming industry can shed its Peter Pan shackles.

During his talk “The Peter Pan Syndrome: The Industry That Refused to Grow Up”, Cage said one of the main issues in the industry is the fact it makes “the same games over and over.”

“This is an issue for our industry,” he said. “Many times starting a new game I feel like I’ve already played it a thousand times. My gut feeling is that we need to find a way to reach a wider audience.”

During his presentation, Cage outlined the following ways the industry can grow up:

1: Make games for all audiences.
2: Change our paradigms.
3: The importance of meaning.
4: Become accessible.
5: Bring other talent on board.
6: Establish new relationships with Hollywood.
7: Changing our relationship with censorship.
8: The role of the press.
9: The importance of gamers.

On the later part of the presentation, “The Importance of Gamers”, Cage compared buying games to voting with your wallet.

“I often think that buying or not buying a game is almost like a political vote,” Cage said during his talk. “You decide if you want the industry to go in this direction or not go in this direction.

“Buy crap, and you’ll get more crap. Buy exciting, risky games, and you will get more of them. When you buy games, you vote for where you want the industry to go.”

You can read his entire talk over on Kotaku and Gamasutra.

1. FeaturePreacher

I think any money I have will go to voting for Kojima Productions and Platinum Games. I’ll vote against self-righteous pricks like David Cage.

#1 1 year ago
  2. nielsthomas1

“1. Make games for all audiences.”, “4. Become accessible.”

Yeah, you don’t get to say things like that if you only release your games on one system.

Talk to me when Heavy Rain is available on PC.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hunam

Aren’t those the reasons that gaming is becoming bland and boring… Just like the movie industry!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kabby

If you want to make ‘inteactive entertainment’ most of these points are valid.

If you want to make games? Not so much, not so much at all.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

I definitely agree with the point about the press. Instead of being a participant, like the movie crowd, it’s just a passive bystander that doesn’t much balk or cheer for anything.

I mean there’s a lot of kneejerk cheering, but if every triple-A game is somehow “good enough” in the eyes of every reviewer out there, then their opinion eventually becomes totally invalid for lack of any real standards.

@2 Pwned!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

I agree with some of his points, but Heavy Rain can barely be considered a game. Its just a story with a bunch of quick time events. And the quick time events aren’t even the best in the industry. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, God of War, and Azura’s Wrath blow Heavy Rain out of the water when comparing quick time events.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

@6 – See, it’s funny you say that because I don’t consider Asura’s Wrath a game. It’s basically just an anime with button presses thrown in and then maybe two minutes of ridiculously repetitive “gameplay” thrown in every forty five minutes or so, which then leads to button mashing. At no point, did I feel like I was doing anything but watching an anime that they couldn’t sell as an anime, so they made it as loosely defined a game as possible.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

What’s interesting about the “make games for all audiences” part is that on Kotaku, he elaborates that he means there should be games made FOR ADULTS. Not that everyone should take the Nintendo route of making games that can be played by everyone. What he’s saying is that developers shouldn’t be afraid to aim for all audiences, including grown-ups, which most developers do not develop for.

#8 1 year ago