Changes coming to Guild Wars 2 reward, achievement and dungeon systems

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 16:57 GMT By Nick Akerman

Daniel Merriweather once sang “Ain’t nothing gonna change.” He obviously wasn’t talking about Guild Wars 2, which is set to receive a sprucing up. Dungeons, reward systems and achievement structures are in the spotlight this time.

Robert Hrouda, content manager on the game, discussed plenty of changes to dungeon mechanics in a recent blog post.

Players can no longer use Waypoints in dungeons unless their party has been slaughtered or exited battle. The “res-rushing” mechanic is also being completely wiped from the game.

Game designer Matt Wuerffel also described upcoming changes to the rewards and achievement system. In his blog post, it is revealed players will now receive a new currency -known as the laurel- when completing daily achievements. One laurel will be earned every day you complete the task, with 10 being awarded if you complete your monthly achievement category.

The achievement system will also be updated with a new user interface and other tweaks. A new reward structure is coming “down the road”.

Cheers, Joystiq.

1. OlderGamer

It is their quest system that I don’t like. Too many obscure qsts. and too much time spent wandering around aimlessly. For my tastes I like a more traditional shoping list style quest system. Like in EQ, WoW, and Rift.

2. Kurai

@1 my thoughts exactly. If it just had some traditional quests as well, not just the event based crap :/

3. roadkill

@1 and 2 Lol! You guys are clueless! So funny! Sooo funny! :D

4. OlderGamer

I don’t think we are clueless roadkill, kind of a rude ass thing to say really. GW2 does some things differently then some other MMOrpgs. I was just stating that I enjoy the GW2 way of doing some of those things less. It doesn’t make it right or wrong.

I have talked to a lot of folks that play MMOs and have gotten most people saying the same type of things. That, also, doesn’t make you clueless either.

I enjoy GW2 and have gotten my moneys worth out of it. But I just recently went back to playing Rift. Somethings I miss from GW2, but I really enjoy having the quests easily laid out. And I never feel lost like I do in GW2.

I know some people complain about the MMO grind, but if I like th egame, I like the grind. To me, that is the game. I am building my toon. Questing, killing, looting, saving, crafting. I enjoy that.

Different people often enjoy different things.

5. roadkill

@4 What are you talking about? Quests couldn’t be easier than they are in GW2. Maybe you don’t understand them which is weird because since you’re old you should be slower but smarter but that doesn’t mean that they are complicated. Also unlike you said quests are incredibly varied. No MMO has 10% of the quest diversity that GW2 has. That’s why I’m saying you are clueless. And as for the grind that’s something that some players prefer to do. I don’t have a problem with that as long as those people stay as far away from me as possible. Most of them are weak and I don’t like to spend my time with such company.