Nintendo Direct Europe – Iwata to reveal new Wii U games

Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 14:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo will hold another European Nintendo Direct session tomorrow, which will be hosted by president Satoru Iwata. According to Nintendo Europe, Iwata will be revealing new games for Wii U. You can watch the session here, January 23 at 3.00 pm CET.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

Hmmm, new games or new release dates for games we already know about?

2. loveaya

Price drops

3. killersense

lets hope its new games because it is like a ghost town at the moment until the new rayman, wonderful 101 and lego city come out late next month and march. they are not exactly system sellers but atleast would keep the wii u owners happy but they are probably gonna be overshadowed by all the big games coming out for ps3, 360 amd pc.

4. Fin

New Super Mario Bros Wii U 2!

5. Telepathic.Geometry

Fin you fuckin’ idiot…

…it’s New NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii, obviously. :P

6. ps3fanboy

in other words, same shit in new wrapping…

7. polygem

good!…but i wont complain anyway. if you have a 3ds too, it´s really busy already with releases. almost too much to handle. the next coming months are packed.
    castlevania mof, fire emblem, animal crossing, project x (?)(the sega capcom Xover brawler),the cave, luigis mansion, pikmin, wonderful 101, scribblenauts unlimited (not out yet in europe), aliens colonial marines, rayman legends, mutant mudds 2, Monster Hunter…i mean…gimme a break, i am interested in all those games PLUS New New super Mario bros. 2 Wiiu

8. Psychotext

Pretty much had to react. Wii U is in deep trouble right now.

Hopefully we’ll see some good stuff.

9. Deacon

I haven’t really followed WiiU – what’s it like on upcoming games? Obviously the big hitters like Zelda and another proper 3D Mario are still some distance away, but what else have they got coming up?

I actually found myself sort of nearly almost contemplating buying one over Christmas… not because I’m really into the whole idea, I just found myself craving something new

10. Fin

Not much longer for something new, by E3 at least!

11. mistermogul

@1 – Nintendo UK’s twitter states that it’ll be new games…

“Mr Iwata will reveal new games”

@9 – Not much on the horizon but hopefully that’ll change tomorrow!

12. OlderGamer

They had a robust line up for their launch, but in doing that it left a void post launch.

13. Deacon

Ain’t it always the way these days…

14. OnionPowder

New games are nice, but I’m still waiting for a release date on Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101! Those were the reasons I bought the console.

15. monkeygourmet

Animal Crossing Wii U please! That can’t be hard to make surely..?

I mean its a perfect fit for Miiverse, it would sell a boat load.

16. Fin

You’re not serious are you? Animal Crossing is the epitome of Nintendo’s attitude to IP (and Europe).
    It’s essentially the same game released on every Nintendo console since 2001, when it released on N64.
    The GameCube (no N64 version for English-speaking regions) was released in North America in September 2002, and in Europe in September 2004.

Nintendo really have to make some new IP, not release Animal Crossing for the sixth time in 12 years.

17. monkeygourmet

I can have Animal Crossing AND new Ip’s can’t I?!

I still haven’t caught a celeocanth… :(

There were loads of new Ip’s on Wii by the way, just no one ever buys them. Same as PS3 really.

How much do you think puppeteer will sell? It’s a tough world now unless your established.

Even Sony’s so-called new IP’s are getting long in the tooth now.

4 Uncarted games & Card game
    4 Motorstorm Games
    6 God of War games
    5 or 6 Killzone games
    4 or 5 Socom games
    2 Infamous games
    6 Gran Turismo games
    Etc, etc…

MS doesn’t count because it only has about 2 exclusive IPs :)

This generation has been sequel after sequel, they’ve almost caught up with Nintendo in the space of one generation.

18. Fin

All of those games change between iterations though (even if it’s only the addition of tracks, cars, and better graphics in GT’s case).
    Animal Crossing is the same game that released in 2001.

There were some new IPs on Wii for sure (I was a fan of MadWorld’s concept, if not the execution), but the last new Nintendo IP (excluding the Wii series) was Pikmin.

19. monkeygourmet

I can’t agree with that…

It’s not the same anymore!

They took out the virtual console games after the GameCube game! ;)

20. Moonwalker1982

I wonder if we can actually look forward to this, or if these will just be uninteresting games nobody gives a shit about. It could be Resident Evil Revelations, but that’s no big deal. That’s a multiplatform title. I bet they keep the big ones for E3 anyway.

21. monkeygourmet

Exactly…

Wasn’t the last big boner announcement that Google street view shit with the Wii U pad?!

Def not getting my hopes up.

I bet it’s:

Luigis mansion 3DS
    Resi Evil Wii U
    P1000 or whatever it’s called
    Wii Fit U
    Virtual Console Wii U to get ready for the ambassador games after the inevitable price drop! :)

Yes I’m a cynic lol

22. mistermogul

@22 – dude what part of “new games” don’t you understand?

All those you listed are already known about…

23. monkeygourmet

I hope it’s completely new stuff obviously.

This was the last one with supposed new stuff:

Would be happy to see some great new Wii U stuff, have pretty much finished most of my games on it at the moment.

24. DrDamn

What it needs is some games designed around the pad. New Zelda, new 3D Mario, new Metroid – don’t really care, but they need to be designed around the pad and not just the usual games with a map and inventory on the screen. The ones making best use of the pad so far are Ubisoft! Someone at Nintendo ought to feel just a little bit bad about that.