Is The Witcher 3 being teased by CD Projekt RED? Maybe

Tuesday, 15th January 2013 17:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt RED could possibly be teasing a new installment in The Witcher series, via a REDkit beta post on the official Witcher community website.

Here it is.

It’s Geralt’s sword hilt.

Then again, the site is chatting up what users have concocted in the REDkit beta, so it may be something else entirely the developers are teasing in this instance.

However, as reported last week, the firm is set to announce its newest project on February 5.

The Witcher 3 is everyone’s guess at the moment, as its a “fully open-world game with an intense story” and it said folks can “probably guess the game we’re talking about.”

1. DocCylon

Oh of course its the Witcher 3, CDPR have been the least subtle about it! I mean why would they announce anything but the sequel to one of the best RPGs made in recent years?

Unless it’s a ruse, in which case fuck.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 “one of the best RPGs made in recent years”

I have to agree with you. Both Witcher games sit on my all-time top 20 list. I rarely completely finish games of that length because I get burnt out towards the end, but I played through the first one twice and plan to have a go at the second one again.

3. Moonwalker1982

So an open-world Witcher game? Oh yes!!!

4. GwynbleiddiuM

You know what will be even better, Open-world Witcher that you can make your own protagonist and help Geralt long another epic storyline. That would be great imo. Regardless I’m with #1.

5. DSB

I don’t understand the hype surrounding the first one. I thought it was extremely tedious, like an MMO that had been cut down into an RPG. It didn’t even have a combat system, just differing degrees of (basically) auto attacks.

But that’s just all the more reason to be blown away by the second one. They went from an almost total mess (except the story) to an eerily complete experience in the second one. It was like they just became brilliant overnight.

6. Maximum Payne

Do you people really want open world Witcher ?

7. Talkar

The Witcher games were never about the combat, they were always about the story.

8. Edo

@6 If done well,why not!?

9. Moonwalker1982

I wonder if we’ll be seeing gameplay in february. They DID say the game’s development was well underway and much closer to completion compared to Cyberpunk 2077.

10. DSB

@7 Hah, that would’ve made sense if most the game hadn’t been mostly combat and “kill 10 rats” quests.

It did have a few of those interesting choices where you could just ignore the quests and have it affect the ending, but no, it just doesn’t hold up.

If a game contains combat, it should at least try to have a combat system.

@8 Maybe I’m just the odd man out, but I like it when games play to their strengths instead of their weaknesses.

For me The Witcher 2 was never really about exploration, but about an experience that was really well put together. That’s just easier to do if you set your own limits.

Some people thought Mafia II sucked because it had a big city with nothing in it, but I think that’s a lot better than doing something like Far Cry 3 which is also open world, but full of idiotic, repetitive quests that are obviously just there to extend the “hours playable” count.

11. Moonwalker1982

Mafia II sucked big balls :)

I tried to like it, but the shooting felt off and not satisfying enough. The story didn’t interest me enough and it just didn’t do it for me. I love Far Cry 3 on the other hand.

I can’t speak about the first Witcher, i have it on my laptop but just never really got much farther than the first village or so. The Witcher 2 on 360 so far is quite good. What’s your beef with the combat though? The combat feels like there’s some weigth to the swords, and where you actually see enemies being hit. Unlike Skyrim, where its still like you are hitting a tree when hitting enemies. I love that game but that’s the cold hard truth.