Valve’s Steam Box will not be formally announced in 2013: engineer clarifies issue

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve founder Gabe Newell officially announced that the company’s PC console – dubbed internally at the studio as ‘Bigfoot’, and its handheld counterpart ‘Littlefoot’ – at CES. However, speculation that it will be formally announced at GDC is wide of the mark, a Valve engineer has confirmed.

First, if you mist last-night’s megaton announcement, you can get a complete overview of what the game-changing console will involve here.

Speaking with Engadget, Valve engineer Ben Krasnow clarified that at no point has the company stated a 2013 announcement date for the hardware. It comes as German site Golem.de states that he announced a 2013 date

“With regards to the Steam Box news,” he said, “there has been a lot of things that we are working on getting Steam into the living room, and are planning for a hardware box, but we have no current plans to announce anything in 2013.”

The Steam Box is not to be confused with the joint Valve and Xi3 PC announced at CES.

Next, check out Pat’s blog on why Steam Box will change the games industry and tell us your thoughts in the comment box. We want to hear from you on this one, seriously.

Thanks CVG.

1. Diingo

This is a HUGE shift in the paradigm of gaming. If this turns out to be a success one of the 4 console makers are going to be bumped off, and I think it’s gonna be between Nintendo & Sony surviving with their 8th gen console.

2. Gadzooks!

The extra competitor in the marketplace might force out a weak player like Sony, but it won’t really change anything that wasn’t already on the cards.

whatever impact steambox will have will not surface until the gen-after-next, possibly 8 years away.

3. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

No, I must have mist it.

4. RandomTiger

Boooo, I wanted a four horse race. I need the box for 2014.

5. karma

As an ex PC, current 360 gamer, I feel MS haven’t done anything to push gaming this past 2-3 years, not since they first played the “We cater to hardcore gamers card” back last gen with the release of the original Xbox, which imo back then, did show a lot of promise. Since then its gone down hill with early faulty hardware (that should have been sorted out a lot sooner than it was), “I want a piece of that casual pie” backwards ideas like kinect and pointless avatars, the increasing number of in your face dashboard ads, not allowing publishers to set their own prices / sales etc, a system so closed that you cant access cool community made content like all the awesome Skyrim mods that I haven’t been able to download, and the ultimate slap in the face; forcing gamers to pay additional fees to play their games online. So yeah, i’ve been ready to jump ship for a while now, just been waiting for the right company to get behind.
    So what Valve is describing is genuinely appealing. Ultimately it comes down to the price point though. If they can give me everything I want and keep the box around the same price as next gen competitors, then i’ll be first in line to pick one up.

6. hitnrun

@5: Agreed in full. The only difference was for me was that I never had an original Xbox and first picked up a 360. I had a blast going through their back catalog and the first few years of the 360 were great. They really had the system for that wide swath of gamers between Nintendo’s novelty and the $600 George Foreman grill.

Then everything started going downhill from the “NXE” update. They stopped pursuing big “gamer’s game” titles and started focusing on chasing the Wii market. It’s been obvious since then that what’s eating at MS and is driving all their decisions is their jealousy of Nintendo.

As it stands I’ve gone back to PC gaming over the past couple of years. I’m interested to see what Sony comes up with, but if they don’t improve the PS3 experience I’m not likely to buy anything. I certainly don’t expect to buy a 720. They’re basically advertising how bad it’s going to be. MS’s ads, fees, lack of bargains and constant reaching for your wallet was just about tolerable when they had a gamer’s system, but as a casual-focused gimmick box there’s really nothing for me there.

7. DSB

All the fanboy angst kinda reminds me of the gun debate. You’ll have to wrest my pad/dualshock from my cold dead hands, Valve!

As I see it, it pretty much straddles the fence. By the sound of it, it’s just as likely to bring a PC gamer to the TV as it is to bring a PC to the console gamers TV.

Unlike console manufacturers of late, they seem to have their eyes on the ball. Controls, performance, design, delivery. None of that ever really mattered to the guys on the market right now, certainly never all of those at any one time.

I’m intrigued by the idea, and while I’m not much of a console gamer, I’d definitely be interested in an effective, compact and cost efficient living room PC console.

8. ps3fanboy

i am not that sure about the steambox don’t like being stuck to a client to play games. the constant online drm crap dont make things better.. nice prices for some of the steam deals but that is all. with all that said i am still interested in the steambox. but more interested in see how open it will be and how easy hackable it will be.. a locked drm infested pc system i have no interest in..

the ps3 experience have been great so far no fees to pay to play online, no ads in your face or cluttered dashboard. it is just clean, simple and focused on games. the games have been awesome, many of them exlusive too. the ps+ is a fantastic deal, you get a lot of free games with that for just paying for one. 2013 are gonna be yet another fantastic gaming year for the ps3, no doubt.

there are gonna be many option nextgen, but for me i am waiting for the ps4 the most to see what that have to offer..

9. Dragon246

I agree about ps3. Valve needs to do something special to pull me out of the ecosystem. I assume same thing for many xbox owners too.
    Although definitely looking forward to more competition.

10. Eddie Rodrigues

@9 Valve is a well known company, so it won’t be like OnLive or (an example of my country) Zeeboo, which tried to use Steam’s system into the console world and didn’t get attention since big names like Sony and MS were already selling tons of hardware.

So one thing is certain: Gabe’s living room PC/console might make those big names re-think their strategies.

11. Dragon246

Look man, I am just skeptical. Although as I stated, I am more than happy for any competition. If valve can force sony and ms to reduce online prices, then I will be very happy.
    Just to add, I think sony is in a much better position to match valve in terms of mmos because of SOE. I am sure ps4 will feature Planetside 2 and other SOE gamess.

12. Eddie Rodrigues

@11 Yes I completely agree. I didn’t mean to devalue your previous statement at all, I wanted to compare the loss of previous companies and confirm that Valve will be a certain competitor due to their well known franchises and marketing. Although I might not believe Sony or MS would downgrade the prices since their consoles might be cheaper and this can be a trick into bringing more people to their consoles while they still make money out of digital releases… And I’d totally like to see SOE titles on Sony consoles, be it PS4 or PS3, this would catch the eye of many players

13. Kabby

You need exclusives to float a new console boat.

Someone should write an article on possible Steambox exclusives. All hype no facts.

14. Maximum Payne

So will that steam box run any game that is on steam or games would need to be ported ?

15. DSB

@13 Really? I stuck with Xbox for quite a while because it was the best at running multiplats. I think it’s a mistake to see the Steambox as an attempt to outdo anyone currently on the market though.

They’re not going for an equal slice, they’re looking to create their very own.

@14 If you run it with Linux, then obviously there are a lot of problems right now. I’m thinking they’ll have to account for those problems quite extensively as they move ahead.

16. psxman

@3 I’m glad no one else mist that.