The Last of Us multiplayer isn’t ‘tacked-on’, says Naughty Dog

Tuesday, 11th December 2012 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last of Us is launching with multiplayer, as confirmed by Naughty Dog’s official pre-order goody list. The studio’s community strategist Arne Meyer has responded to fears that the online offering will be tacked-on, setting the record straight. Get his reply below.

After the game’s pre-order bonuses were listed on PS Blog US gamers began flooding the comment box with knee-jerk fears that the game’s multiplayer would detract from the campaign, and exists as a tacked-on feature.

Meyer replied with his own comment, “We don’t approach MP in any of our games as tacked on. And we also always have separate teams working on the different components so that we can maintain full focus on making SP and MP up to our standards.

“We have faith that our MP will stand on it’s own. If we felt like it would be tacked on, we wouldn’t have added it. We want all our game experiences to be of the highest quality and that’s what we work extremely hard to deliver.

“MP has never taken away resources from the SP game in any of our games, always separate teams, separate resources. The folks working on the single player campaign always have the resources and support to complete that portion of the game to the vision they planned for.”

Meyer concluded, “The SP portion of the game hasn’t been skimped out on in any way.”

What did you make of Naughty Dog’s multiplayer in the Uncharted series? Do you think they have the chops to create something special with The Last of Us? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer and MP1st.

1. KAP

You have my trust ND, you’ve proven yourself many times already…

#1 1 year ago
  2. matirishhh

I hope this will be similar to SP. One to Three bullets per match. Strategic approach to this kind of firefight. That would be so awesome. I stopped playing Multiplayer games long time ago due to the same old tiresome formula…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Fin

Ever play Call of Duty’s “One in the Chamber” mode?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Takeshi

What @1 said. UC2 and UC3′s multiplayer were brilliant. I still enjoy putting on UC3 multi once in a while whenever I feel like it. ND definitely wouldn’t be doing it if they thought they couldn’t deliver on a good MP experience.

Day 1 for sure, and @2 that sounds very interesting since some people may actually be better at that than spraying all over which is kind of what UC3 succumbs to sometimes.

#4 1 year ago
  5. matirishhh

@3 I’ve seen it but COD multiplayer is not my thing really.
    @4 I loved UC2, I played it for quite some time, but then after I used my UC3 pass I only played few times. Running and gunning bores me, I would love to see some “bushido” style shooter games. Maybe in The Last of Us :]

#5 1 year ago
  6. ManuOtaku

i do have the uncharted collection, and i did never tried before the multiplayer side of things, dont know why, i guess is has to do something with the fact that i always have seen uncharted as a singleplayer game. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that i didnt enjoy the gears of war multiplayer, i prefer FPS multiplayer than third person shooters, the only multiplayer game that i did love on third person view was assassins creed, really great multiplayer and very different from the norm, i hope this game is in the same vein, and i mean in the different aspect.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

I always have a bit of a TPS issue with aiming in MP – not sure what it is but I just don’t get on with it. I like the spatial awareness it gives you but it messes with me. Rainbox Six Vegas did a great job of combining first and third person perspectives.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ManuOtaku

#7 Yeah Doc the same happens to me, i have problems in third person shooting games with the aiming too in multiplayer, i think that was the main reason for not touching uncharted multiplayer, i didnt enjoy gears of war that much either, but assasins creed that was another story i did love that multiplayer third person view game.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Jet Black

What if the multiplayer was like Day Z? An open world survival game, wouldn’t that be awesome? One can dream…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Maximum Payne

I really hope its coop…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Rafa_L

As @1 said, I too trust them.

I hope for a more subtle competitive multiplayer, I like uncharteds mp, played it a lot, but sometimes I feel it’s too chaotic, a more stealthy gamplay, where the kill count being 10 to 20 and everybody respawing every 5 secs isn’t the focus, it’s a big map and it’s about getting that other team with a strategy, a trap, a stealth kill; seems awesome to me.

#11 1 year ago