Wii U: hackers activate Wii Homebrew Channel

Monday, 10th December 2012 12:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U has been opened up a little by hackers. The group responsible for the Wii Homebrew Channel hack have created a Wii U version. Check out the details below.

One of the hack’s creators posted on his group’s blog, stating that their latest build of Wii Homebrew Channel works while the Wii U is in original Wii mode only, meaning that the Wii U side of Nintendo’s console remains guarded for now.

The hack may give the group a backdoor to hacking Wii U proper, which could spell headaches for Nintendo.

Eurogamer reports that activation of the Wii Homebrew Channel on Wii U or Wii consoles invalidates the user’s warranty. Nintendo has stressed this clause specifically, suggesting that it’s prepared to fight hard to combat hacking attempts.

What’s your view on this matter? Let us know below.

1. monkeygourmet

I bet the first thing they’ll do is stream Virtual Console games to the pad.

Nintendo better hurry up with that feature!

2. Telepathic.Geometry

If they can get it to play GC games, Ninty have themselves a sale.

3. monkeygourmet

Can’t see a reason why not, after all it is just 3 game cubes taped together! :)

I’m sure they’ll get the running through the Wii emulator.

This is the problem when a company with holds features to ‘add’ later, hackers can unlock them very quickly after launch.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

Three gamecubes a DS and a GC controller surely…

5. monkeygourmet

That’s it! :D

6. loveaya

Bon courage.

7. Dragon246

If it can offer features like no region lock among other things, it will be great.
    Although I don’t support this as it will eventually lead to piracy, which will hurt game devs seriously.

8. BlueMaxima

Since the Vita got the same unfair treatment I’ll be the first to do it…

The Wii U is dead!

9. Kabby

Incoming 2GB firmware update to resolve some minor issues.

10. Erthazus

the question here is how much space their next Firmware update will use and when?

I think it is not the best time to hack this console because WiiU already suffers from minor updates and issues.
    I’m not really sure that Iwata wants another pain in the ass.

But, Homebrew is awesome. If that thing is going to be open-wide, we can expect Dolphin 2.0 and I can say goodbye to WiiU for like forever and play WiiU games (If i will ever want one) in 2560×1440 resolution with 60 frames per second.

11. SplatteredHouse

“Nintendo better hurry up with that feature!”

Yes. I don’t see these guys as doing wrong, these so-called hackers. They’re modding, improving the machine they bought – the investment they made, and as long as they’re not intending to add to the official support service’s weight of queries with such unsupported feature usage (costing N money), then all they have done is pointed out a shortcoming, an oversight, on Nintendo’s part – much like the original Freeloader group, who pointed out that really, region locking is an example of an outdated concept but moreover, a market exists of many people WILLING to buy a disc to enable them to get MORE usage from, and spend longer enjoying play on the machine they bought. To strip away a daft inconvenience.

Their voice, in enabling this feature I think, speaks with a greater urgency than all of the social network activity – which is not difficult to ignore (just ask Gamespy!) and the contacting by writing to Nintendo.
    This represents a thing that’s taking place, which N perhaps can ill-afford to ignore. I’m not sure whether such escalation is a positive (and clearly, there’s always potential for ppl with malicious intent to use whatever’s learned to further their aims) but, again, if there were no interest, no demand, then people would not have investigated making these additions/changes.

Let’s take the rogue element out of it. Consider a smartphone user. He wants to be able to encode his media he recorded from one device to another. No option existed to send his filetype between the devices, but he has the awareness, the knowledge to write an app to get it done. Now, he’s enabled his smartphone. Enhanced it…Who loses, and how does that situation really differ from what’s being reported here?

12. monkeygourmet

You have no right to bitch about consoles when you just pirate them anyway.

That’s a shitty attitude.

Also, you’ll still have to buy a pad for £100 + ? And then the games, obviously you wouldn’t be advocating illegally downloading them now would you?

So after buying the pad for £100, and game for £40, pissing about tweaking the emulator, what’s the point?! Just buy a Wii U or don’t.

Up ressing a game like Zombie U would just show the low res textures even more, which you would them bitch about, so again, what’s the point?

13. OlderGamer

I have zero issues with these level of hackers. Theyare just altering the feature set of a system that they bought. I whish i could do that. I used to pay to have my NA systems modded to play other region games. I have a huge libary of shooters and fighters for my Moded Saturn.

Imo, this isn’t much different. However, it could be a slipery slope in that it could lead to account breaches. And I don’t want to compermise my CC or other personal info.

14. Erthazus

@12,

1) I don’t pirate games on the platform that i can buy for. You can’t buy games for the Dolphin emulator.

2) “Also, you’ll still have to buy a pad for £100 + ? ”

No, I don’t. For two reasons:

1) Mouse and keyboard is a much better control setup.

2) If, I want to buy a gamepad I will buy this: http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona that has:

multitouch screen
    10.1″ 1280×800 display
    3-axis gyro, magnetometer, accelerometer
    Force feedback
    Dolby® 7.1 surround sound
    WiFi 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth® 3.0

and even it’s own processor up to Intel® Core™ i7. That pad alone is more powerfull then WiiU at some tasks already.

Dolphin Emulator for example for the Wii supports Wii peripherals and controllers and any other keyboard, mouse.. or Xbox 360 controller, PS3 controller. any controller that you want that can be plugged to your PC you can use.

“Just buy a Wii U or don’t.”

I don’t want to buy a semi-PC box that can’t even do a proper 720p image on my 27 inch screen or 40+ TV and first of all I’m not planning for downloading any software. There are no games that I want first of all and there are not enough games for someone to make Dolphin emulator 2.0.

“Up ressing a game like Zombie U”

ZombieU is a crappy game and is not worth buying a console for or downloading an emulator.

currently I’m playing Guild Wars 2, Mark Of the Ninja, just finished Far Cry 3 with great controls and great performance on my PC and i have a lot of games still to finish and you really think that i’m going to buy that crappy console with kitchen sink? U Mad bro?

15. monkeygourmet

You have that ‘kitchen sink’ analogy wrong by the way, I didn’t want to point it out as I was finding it amusing, now it’s just annoying.

Playing Far Cry 3 too, now it’s got boring though. Mind you, I didn’t need to spend thousands of pounds to find that out.

The only one ‘mad’ around here is your wallet! Lol :)

16. Erthazus

“Mind you, I didn’t need to spend thousands of pounds to find that out.”

and you really believe that I or any other PC enthusiast bought good hardware for that mediocre game? PC gamers are not that nuts, sorry.

Besides, you can play Far Cry 3 with better performance then on PS3/Xbox 360 with 250$+ PC anyway.

17. Cobra951

I would love to find that magical $250 PC that can play FC3 with better performance and at least as good a look as I get on the X360. By all means, post a link. I’d love to take it for a spin.

18. monkeygourmet

Yep

19. bitsnark

@18 Out of interest, Dolphin will only read Wii discs if its compliant with the make of your optical drive? Is that right?

20. ManuOtaku

I think Erthazus should quit PC gaming and became a console gamer, theres not game out there that can show properly the almighty power of his pc gaming rig on its maximum settings, we console gamers dont have that worry :)

21. monkeygourmet

Sorry, I’ve never used it but I thought they worked? Maybe wrong.

You could still buy the game then download it from the net if you wanted to play Dolphin with a clear conscience though! ;)

22. monkeygourmet

lol, buy that man a cigar, what a genius! :D

23. Erthazus

@monkey,
    “Also, you can use the Dolphin emulator to play Physical Wii discs, so you have no excuse to download and pirate them.”

And where i’m going to use that?
    On my DVD Rom? LOL? Are you nuts?

“Also, why the fuck did you buy Far Cry 3 if you didn’t like the graphics or gameplay? Or did you pirate it with your 50gig a second fibre optic broadband that plugs straight into your brain?”

1) Hype
    2) I liked gameplay trailers
    3) Metacritic

Same goes to you.

“I like Erths idea of waiting about 2 years for a working Wii U emulator, buying a thousand £ rig, and £700 tablet PC, some £40 games just to play Wii U at 1080p…”

you don’t need 2 years to wait for the emulator. Hackers already almost opened WiiU in 1 week. You don’t need thousand £ rig to play WiiU games on the emulator. At max it will require decent processor.
    “and £700 tablet PC”

there is no price for it yet and i’m not going to buy it anyway even if it will cost 50$ because WiiU gamepad or Razer’s thing is a stupid idea for gaming and I said “If i will ever want to play WiiU games on the emulator I have a choice to buy a much better alternative then a kitchen sink with small screen and zero capabilities.”

It’s called Alternative.

“to play Wii U at 1080p”

why so low? 60 frames per second, 2560×1440 (if your monitor supports it).

24. absolutezero

Without modding my Wii I would never have gotten to play Fatal Frame 4 in a language I understand.

A group fully translated the entire script, UI, files and menus and then released the entire thing as a patch. Thanks to Homebrew I could then import the game from Japan and play it in English. I have a 500GB USB hard drive plugged into the back of my Wii, I can load games directly from it without ever having to spin up the drive, it loads faster, the framerate is more consistant and its silent while playing.

If they can get that same level of quality for my WiiU, well then I guess I won’t be updating mine again anytime soon.

Region Locking is seriously the worst idea on Earth. I’m pretty sure that the only reason continues to be to stop Japanese players importing from the US.