Sony patent outlines hybrid DualShock Move controller which breaks apart

Friday, 30th November 2012 15:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has patented a hybrid DualShock controller which breaks apart and has Move motion components attaches to it.

A patent for the break apart DualShock controller first came to light in 2008, but this particular patent was filed in May 2011, but only published by Free Patents Online yesterday – and quickly dug up by TSA.

The “Hybrid Separable Motion Controller” schematics show a controller which snaps together and contains a magnetometer, accelerometer, and an embedded speaker.

Sony’s PlayStation Eye camera would be a requirement with the controller.

Have a look at it for yourself through this PDF link.

1. Mike W

That’s nice

2. TheBlackHole

Sony continue to use unergonomic, outdated controller design, now with uninteresting ‘magic sticks’ mechanic.

What a surprise.

3. SameeR_Fisher

I love Sony controllers, the best IMO, I tried the X360 once but didn’t like it that well, having 2 separate pieces is interesting, but move attached seems a little bit funny ?!, I don’t know, but Sony seems to be doing great job with PS4.

4. ManuOtaku

I hope they change the design of the dualshock for their new console, the triggers on the ps3 controllers are not so good, to put it kindly, i did like a lot the boomerang design leaked prior the ps3 launch, i hope they go overboard with the new desing, of course while being at the same time ergonomic, but please fix those triggers.

As for this news i will reserve my judgment till we see the end product on not just an sketch drawing.

5. Deacon

I don’t get the criticism for an iconic controller that has been used and loved by tens of millions of people.

Of course if you spend too long on another format then you might ‘go off’ the Dualshock, but I maintain that it’s perfectly comfortable. Granted it is getting on a bit, but then it serves its purpose, and remains the best looking controller out there.

This is a weird patent. Definitely interesting. Can’t say that there’s anything else out there like this! – can we?

6. dizzygear

@5 I used to think the dualshock was fine but the 360 controller made me change my mind. I hate the DS3 rounded sticks and triggers. I also think the 360 controller just feels more comfortable with longer sessions.

No controller is perfect though but i think Sony *should* have made some improvements to the design. Like MS made that rotating D-pad version to address the complaints about the old d-pad.

7. Dragon246

Dualshock remains the best console controller imo.

8. deathm00n

@6 Sorry but I think the rotating D-Pad is the worst thing in the xbox controller, try to play a fighting game with it (I don’t use the analog sticks in fighting games)

And for me dualshock is still the best controller, my hands fit well in the xbox controller, but the layout of the buttons is totally screwed in my opinion.

But I agree with @3, the triggers aren’t good in the dualshock, took me sometime to get used to it after I changed from PS2 to PS3

9. Beta

@5. +1 Used both pads, still prefer the dualshock.

10. stretch215

The dualshock is the reason I only bought a ps3 for exclusives. After playing a 360 it just wasn’t the same (controller wise).

11. Dragon246

Just to add, someone said this about the news-

Stick a sausage in the middle and you’ve got a dualcock.
    ….
    …or a cockshock :P

12. OlderGamer

I agree with stretch, I used PS pads because I had to. Not because I loved them. Once I got my hands on better pads, I found it really hard to go back. I like Dreamcast, Gamecube, XboxSpad, and XB360. I also like the WiiU Gamepad. The basic PS problem for me, is the thumb sticks are too close together. And the damn part of the “handle” that just pokes at my palms rather then allowing my hand to wrap around the pad comfortably.

So long as Sony use the DS design, their systems will be an after thought for me. Last gen I used an adaptor to use Xbox S pads. This gen I used a DreamGear(designed like a XB360 pad). Next gen I don’t think I will care. PC, WiiU, and whatever MS does will keep me more then happy.

If Sony wants me back, it starts with their gamepad design. Otherwise next gen, I will buy their system late in the cycle for exclusives only, if I buy it at all.

13. dizzygear

@8 I play fighters with a rotating d-pad version just fine. i especially like how its kinda clicky like those old neogeo pads.
    Another advantage is that the rotating d-pad surface does not feel like sandpaper like on new DS3′s.

14. zinc

I’d worry about the durability of this design. Wear & tear could render it unusable in the long run :-/

15. GwynbleiddiuM

I can’t stop laughing at this concept. It’s truly set the bar for ludicrous design.

16. lexph3re

A lot of people tend to forget ergonomics isn’t a concept applicable to all hands. The use and quality of a controller is only based on preference. If you spend enough time on any of the controllers you will adapt. Its only complaints because its not preferable to switch back and forth.

also, this controller looks awful

17. Mystic Sage

I don’t know how I feel about this the concept seems a bit ludicrous to be honest. I really do not see how the controller dividing would enhance gameplay or being able to be precise at all.

18. freedoms_stain

It’s not all that ludicrous, especially if the glowing balls are detachable.

You buy this thing as a second controller. It’s a regular pad when you need a 2nd controller, if you want to play a Move game you pull it apart, affix the balls and boom, Move and second (or even Primary) set of Move peripherals.

19. SlayerGT

I’ve send before a Move with a joystick would be interesting to me. Even more so two. Being able to navigate and look around in a 3d space while also controlling a characters arms independently holding say..two swords, could be neat. Difficult, but neat. A challenge I would welcome. I thought Rising, in its original concept, would have been a great place for that. Given the problem of swinging a sword and hitting something that blocks you and not having it stop your hands irl. If you could cut through anything..there you go.

20. GwynbleiddiuM

The thing is the current Move+navigator is much better designed. All the have to do is add tumbsticks on the move and the motion sensore and the ball on navigator. There, I solved it for Sony, no credits required.

21. DrDamn

Disagree. The core problem with the Wiimote for me was lack of accessible buttons, and the Move had a good chance to resolve that but didn’t very well. Agree a stick was always needed on main Move controller though.

22. MadFlavour

And the analogue sticks are still in the wrong places.

23. Clupula

@22 – You know, I’m sorry for your rare deformity, but the majority of us have our thumbs in the same place on BOTH hands.

24. Clupula

Not sure what I think of the two glowing balls at the top of the controller. I still think the Dual Shock is the closest we’ve ever seen to a perfect controller (if it had six face buttons instead of four, it would be perfect), and I’m not sure how having the two Move sensors would throw off the balance.