Derrick the Deathfin creator racks up $63,000 debt, sells under 5k copies

Tuesday, 13th November 2012 10:11 GMT By Nick Akerman

You have to feel sorry for Gordon Midwood. His game, Derrick the Deathfin, was released at a suicidal time in the gaming calendar. With constant big-hitters on the horizon, it’s inevitable the creator has accumulated a huge financial loss from the production of his title. Right now, Midwood has racked up a whopping $63,000 in debt.

Speaking to Kotaku, Midwood acknowledges the difficulty of making a profit, or even coming close.

“It’s entirely possible, or indeed by the looks of things at the moment 100 per cent probable, that sales will never amount to enough to pay back even a quarter of my personal debts.”

“Sony have been very supportive throughout the process of completing and promoting the game,” Midwood said.

“They loved the concept from the first time we pitched it to them and they have been to very easy to work with since then. The publishing and promoting is on our shoulders though, as we can’t afford to pay anybody professional, ha!”

“I’m not allowed to say exact numbers I don’t think! It might well be quite a bit under 5k, which I don’t think I’m allowed to say either.”

For those that fancy helping Midwood out, here’s the papercraft game’s launch trailer:

1. Greek God

ouch

2. KrazyKraut

Thats really sad. I staid wake all night till they updated the PSN Store and downloaded it when it was released.

They confused the folks too: it should be out in Summer, but there were no updated info that it has been delayed. The only thing ppl could do now is to buy it asap. Maybe this will help them.

3. deathm00n

Sorry to hear it, but I don’t have any intention on buying this. This isn’t my kind of game, looks like something I’d play from a browser…

Not that it isn’t looking good or that it isn’t good to have a papercraft game, but the way they present it is too childish. Take for instance Pupeeter, if it hadn’t a dark atmosphere to it, it would be rather uninteristing like this one is. Of course, this is just my opinion.

4. Nick Akerman

I’ve been tempted to pick this up since release. The fact I didn’t kinda underlines the problem I think.

5. sickpuppysoftware

I bought this. It’s good fun in a simple pick up and play style. I really liked the art direction.

6. tdrules

Hope the money he shelled out to develop for PS3 was worth it

7. itsucks

Pnot$N is a fuckin’ Wasteland. Publish your game there if you value debt.

8. The_Red

Terrible, terrible news.
    One question though: Was this game PS3 exclusive or 5k is for both PSN and Steam.

PSN is not the place to sell game unless it’s super hyped like Journey. Heck, even XBLA is not ideal unless you are Minecraft or something. Hopefully Steam and other non console releases help the sales.

9. Clupula

I actually remember hearing a bit more hype for it than I normally would for a PSN title, but the trailer…didn’t interest me. I feel bad that the guy is in debt, but it just doesn’t look like my cup of tea.

10. Old MacDonald

Maybe he can quickly turn around and make a PC-version, but then there’s the problem of getting past Greenlight if he wants it on Steam. Seems like he’s in a difficult position. Too bad, the game looks kinda cool.

11. dreamcastnews

Kickstarter it for XBLA, Ouya and Dreamcast, then he’ll make some money back.