Microsoft developing smartphone handset, sources claim

Friday, 2nd November 2012 11:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is rumoured to be entering the smartphone race against Apple and other manufacturers, according to the claims of recent sources.

Eurogamer reports that a Wall Street Journal investigation unearthed claims that Microsoft is currently consulting Asian component manufacturers in a bid to test its proposed smartphone hardware, as well as considering methods of operation similar to Apple’s

One source close to the matter stated that they Microsoft is unsure if the model -which is rumoured to be between four and five inches in length – will go into mass production at all.

Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer remained tight-lipped on the matter but offered some comment on the performance of the Windows Phone family, “We’re quite happy this holiday [season] going to market hard with Nokia, Samsung and HTC. Whether we had a plan to do something different or we didn’t have a plan I wouldn’t comment in any dimension.”

What do you make of Microsoft reeling its smartphone production back in-house? Let us know below.

1. Razor

Well if it turns out like Surface… no thanks.

2. Gadzooks!

Windows phone is absolutely fucking awful and – fingers crossed – will die off when WP8 fails to gain any traction, just like it’s predecessors.

Getting involved in the hardware behind this disaster of an OS would be about the most stupid thing MS could do.

Which means it’s almost a certainty.

3. G1GAHURTZ

I’m hoping WP8 takes off.

I’ve already decided that I want to get a Lumia 822.

I’m sick of iPhones, and Android isn’t ‘focused’ enough for me.

All MS really needs to do now is concentrate on it’s marketplace, and I’m sure that they will completely dominate the phone/tablet market like they do the PC.

4. Hakkiz

Not sure about Microsoft’s phone, it kinda fights against their OEMs which they don’t have too many. On the other hand, I too wish WP would gain a bit more traction. It’s actually very nice to use (been using Lumia 800 for a year now) and the biggest issue is that it doesn’t get all the apps and games other platforms get. But we’ll see… mobile world is moving on so fast that anything can happen.

5. Gadzooks!

#3

Are you not afraid of getting F’d in the A when 1 month after buying a brand new phone a new model and OS renders your phone obsolete, unsupported and non-upgradeable?

Cos that’s exactly what happened to me.

So apart from having the most awkward to use, feature-free app-barren piece of shit OS available on a phone, I’m now stuck with this garbage for another one and a half years knowing that I won’t get new features or bugfixes.

I wouldn’t take another windows phone even if I was paid to use it!

6. DrDamn

It could be worse … you could have bought a HTC phone :). Seriously though, could you possibly root it and install Android of some variety?

7. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

Apparently, WP8 is upgradable, unlike 7, so it looks like MS has recognised the problem, there. Also, the updates are supposed to be direct to handset, like iOS, rather than network dependant as in Android’s case.

Tbh, if I found myself in the same position as you, I probably wouldn’t buy another Windows Phone handset either. Once I spend money on a poor product, it’s usually the end of the line as far as me and that manufacturer go.

But I do tend to do a whole lot of research these days before I buy anything, and usually try to get tech products when they’re either newly released, or at the start of their 2nd/3rd iteration.

8. DrDamn

“Apparently, WP8 is upgradable, unlike 7, so it looks like MS has recognised the problem, there.”

There have been several updates to WP7, it is upgradeable – just not to WP8. MS were developing both in parallel. So not exactly recognising the problem – more causing it.

9. Gadzooks!

#6

I had an HTC Desire before this Lumia900. Apart from being slightly crippled by not having enough on-board storage it was great, and received 2 full Android version updates.

This phone would likely choke and die with Android on it. The one single thing good about Windows Phone is low processor requirements.

I am looking for a way to buy out of my contract though. It’s a Galaxy S3 for me if I can.

10. Hakkiz

Yep, I’ve got multiple updates and bug fixes over the year. And there’s still more coming, from both Microsoft and Nokia. :/

11. G1GAHURTZ

@8:

Oh, well, you know what I mean. I shouldn’t have the same problem that Gz did.

WP8 is using the NT kernel, so it looks like they’re thinking long term.

12. G1GAHURTZ

I currently have an HTC desire and an iPhone.

I also have problems with storage on my HTC, and find it amazing that they thought that I’d only ever want to install about 10 medium sized apps.

HTCs are decent, but I just can’t be bothered with Android anymore.

13. Gadzooks!

#12

Haha yes, the constant install/uninstall on the desire got to me in the end and put me off Android for a while.

The missus’ Galaxy S3 is just dreamy though. Makes my Lumia 900 look and feel very much like what it is. A very old outdated phone model, spruced up with a bigger screen.

14. DrDamn

My HTC woes include dead wifi chip, poor battery performance, battery which sometimes charges to full when connected to a socket and then starts using it (so you come back to a non-fully charged phone), a woeful camera, overly sensitive screen amongst many other things. I actually quite like WP7 – it does everything I want it to do with the minimum of fuss. Was planning on keeping the phone and switching to a very cheap contract when my current one expires – but I am not liking the idea of keeping the phone for another few years. One redeeming feature is a 2 year warranty which I intend to use to get the wifi fixed.

15. viralshag

I had a HTC sensation for a while. It started off great, especially as it was my first droid from an iPhone. After one of the updates though it went completely downhill. Unresponsive, slow, crashed all the time… Got rid of it.

I’ve stayed with Android and picked up a Galaxy S3, which so far (and finger crossed for the future) has been one of the best smartphones I’ve ever owned.