Dreamfall Chapters will turn to Kickstarter for funding

Friday, 2nd November 2012 18:30 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Dreamfall Chapters, the just announced next entry in The Longest Journey saga, will be crowdfunded, according to developer Red Thread Games head Ragnar Tørnquist.

Speaking to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Tørnquist said that his team will be holding a Kickstarter as part of its independent funding process.

“We will be doing a Kickstarter,” he said. “Not right now, but we will be doing it in the near future, simply because although we received a grant from the Norwegian Film Institute, which was announced today, that is only for the preproduction phase. That allows us to get started on a prototype but in order to fully develop Dreamfall Chapters we’re going to need more money and we will be going to Kickstarter.”

The interview is quite expansive, and covers a variety of topics, including what stage of development the game is at now, what its place is in the today’s game industry, and when we can expect more details about Dreamfall Chapters to be revealed.

About that last point, Tørnquist said: “We’ll be talking more about the game in the next couple of weeks and then we’ll get down to business and design things. Get moving on preproduction. Sometime early next year we’ll have more to show.

“We intend to be extremely open with production. We don’t plan on hiding away and pushing out the occasional screenshot. We want to be completely transparent and open, let people know where we’re at. We’re also not going to be talking about it relentlessly though or there won’t be anything left to talk about after release.

In a couple of weeks we’ll go completely silent and re-emerge early next year with a lot more to show hopefully.”

1. Edo

Shocking!

2. DSB

After the Trond Aas affair I’m not really hot on giving a dime to Funcom.

3. TheWulf

Red Thread is completely independent of Funcom and has nothing to do with them, it doesn’t even use Funcom employees. Ragnar’s only contact with Funcom now is being a fair-weather creative consultant for TSW, but that’s where his duties begin and end.

The Dreamfall Chapters are being developed by Red Thread, independently, with Ragnar fully at the helm. Any money will go into their pocket to create further chapters of the series. Funcom will receive none of this money, to my knowledge, as The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are IPs owned by Ragnar. In the past, he chose to use Funcom to publish, but currently he seems to want nothing to do with them.

I think they’ve had a bit of a falling out.

Anyway, one thing I hope is that he comes through with the base promise of ‘Dreamfall’ as the title. This is something I was hoping for from the very beginning of Dreamfall, and it is strongly hinted at. That the wall between realities is weakening, and the chapter before last will see it actually fall. And the last chapter will simply deal with the repercussions of that, and the new reality of magic and tech that everyone now finds themselves in.

DRAGONS AND SCI-FI TANKS. MAGI AND COMMANDOS.

I relish this.

4. Old MacDonald

3: You are right and wrong at the same time.

Red Thread are completely independent, and Ragnar is no longer a Funcom employee. But Funcom owns the ip, will publish and will profit if the game is a success. There’s an official press release about the game on their site. There are no indications of any kind of problems between Ragnar and Funcom.

I don’t see that as a problem, and I wouldn’t want to judge the company based on the possible wrongdoings of someone who aren’t working there any more. As they own the IP, they’re going to be involved one way or another no matter what. I’m loving the idea of more seeing the story continue, so I’m absolutely going to back it. Just thought I’d clear up the misunderstanding.

5. Phasmatis75

Anyone remember the Undreamer being Unchained and then waiting for the sequel and never getting it. I’m totally stoked for this entry.

6. klewd

Funcom and Red thread will split the profits. So if you fund them on kickstarter, you are funding Funcom too.

source: http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/PC/6056/Den-Lengste-Reisen-gjr-comeback

(use google translate)

7. sh4dow

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: when seasoned developers use Kickstarter as a way to avoid taking a risk, I find it very questionable.

Now in this case, Tornquist founded a new company, so one may argue that they have no funds yet and the grant they received really isn’t enough, so it’s justified for them to ask for help from potential customers.
    And as far as splitting the funds with Funcom is concerned… my guess is that they agreed to do that in order to get the Dreamfall license, since they couldn’t afford to pay for it up front.

So… make of that what you will, I’m still unsure whether I find such a project worth funding or not.
    But that’s also because I’m afraid the game may orient itself more on Dreamfall than The Longest Journey. While I thought Dreamfall was good, I still considered The Longest Jounrey to be quite a bit better.

8. Thandal

I absolutely agree that TLJ was a better game (more engaging, more fun) than Dreamfall, but mostly because I found myself fighting the interface and controls throughout Dreamfall.

As much as I hate doing so, I resorted to a “walkthrough” because I just couldn’t progress without help. Two examples: The Waterwheel that allows one to get to Marcuria, and the alley that leads to Crazy Clara’s “baby”. Nothing at all appeared on-screen to indicate there was a useful element in the vicinity. Was running around in circles trying to get anywhere at all. No Adventure Game worthy of the name should be this hard to navigate!

So best of luck to Red Thread Games, and I will be contributing via Kickstarter when that becomes possible.