‘LBGT is a non-issue for our investors’: EA talks equality in games

Tuesday, 16th October 2012 08:41 GMT By Dave Cook

EA has discussed the treatment of LBGT themes in games, sparked by the controversial Defense of Marriage Act in the States. The publisher – as well as Zynga – has discussed the issue at length in a new interview, stating that as far as investors are concerned, there is no need for concern or debate on the issue as it stands.

Speaking with GI.biz, EA has responded to issues posed by the Defense of Marriage Act, which aims to legally establish the term ‘marriage’ as a union between a man and a woman only. Several US companies are both behind and against the controversial bill, but EA is less than impressed with what it brings to the table.

EA’s head of global diversity and inclusion Ginger Maseda stated, “There have been no questions, comments or concerns raised from our investors with regards to support for LGBT initiatives in the community or having LGBT characters in our games. Essentially, it’s been a non-issue from an investor perspective.”

The publisher recently celebrated Pride Month by allowing gay characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It is not an issue the company feels should be ignored, and Maseda added that “part of inclusion is making everybody feel heard and that they have a voice. As a publicly traded company, I think it’s important to listen to our consumers. Whether we believe it’s right or wrong, it’s all incorporated into what we do.”

Zynga’s general counsel Reggie Davis backed up EA’s stance by adding, “There are 13, 14, 15-year-old boys and girls committing suicide throughout a lot of the country because they can’t come to grips in their community with being who they are.”

“To me, it just takes the whole debate around ‘some people don’t agree with it,’ or ‘you’re a public company; should you not do this because of your full representation to your shareholders?’”

“We’re very vocal about our position, and people ultimately have an option to invest in the company or not. As long as there’s good disclosure around what your commitments are at the company, then people can make informed decisions as to whether they want to invest in you or not.”

What’s your view on the situation? Should this debate enter into games at all – given that game creators have freedom to create content on whatever themes they please – or is a wider discussion needed to cement the industry’s stance? Let us know below.

1. roadkill

[Deleted due to offensive content - Ed.]

2. klewd

nice to admit that you’re a homophobe.

you might want to know that a common theory for homophobia is a fear of your own femininity. there are other theories as well, of course.

maybe you should find a way to investigate and deal with it, instead of having this internal struggle. there is no rational reason to be a homophobe if you are comfortable with your own sexuality.

3. Ireland Michael

@1 Yeah, I should act surprised… but I’m not.

I thought you were scum before. Now I know it’s a fact.

4. Patrick Garratt

@1 – Homophobic comments aren’t tolerated here. I’ve deleted it. If you do it again it’s a perma-ban.

5. Gadzooks!

Ban it. It’s already proven it has no intention of discussing, only trolling.

6. viralshag

Just ban the guy… All he does is troll and make stupid comments anyway.

7. Ireland Michael

@5 & @6, So has Da Man on countless occassions – he’s detailed treads more often than the likes of Shatner ever did, and he’s fully admitted on numerous occassions that he’s doing it purely for the sake of trolling. But he’s still not banned.

So don’t hold your breath.

8. Patrick Garratt

He’s nothing like Shatner. You know we’re very loose here in terms of “control,” but certain things won’t be tolerated. Homophobia’s one of them.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 Nah, just xenophobia and general hatefulness?

The guy directly attacks, mocks and insults everyone that isn’t GIGA in countless threads on the site every single day, often derailing them for entire pages. He’s fully admitted himself that he’s doing it entitely for the intent of trolling. There are even staff here who are sick of his bullshit and don’t want him around.

10. Da Man

Do you even know what’s xenophobia?

Besides, I guess I’m anti-myself. Seeing as how I live there.

Also, i never admitted to trolling. You, on the other hand..

11. absolutezero

flip-flop flippity flop replying to Da Man and derailing whatever the fuck this topic is about.

12. Da Man

O’Connor is merely jealous. He think he’s the only one who can troll around here.

I could make a list of yawns and derailed threads courtesy of them. All including multiple insults.

13. Patrick Garratt

Nice edit :)

You two should just get a room.

14. absolutezero

You should do that.

That might perhaps let the cool indifferent facade slip somewhat. You big nerd.

15. Da Man

Yep, he stealth edited.

16. viralshag

@7, I’m not going to defend Da Man for everything he has said on here but generally I don’t find him as bad as some others.

Most of the time his posts are semi-crazy ramblings, no offence DM, but some of them I have found funny. And people have called him out on threads before he has even commented, and then are surprised when he comes along.

17. Ireland Michael

@13 Was looking for a better example.

“The point was to take the piss out of people like you, which succeeded with flying colors, genius.”

@14 I’m not indifferent to him. I just don’t respond to him. When I don’t, there’s nothing for him to bash his fingers at. I’ve made maybe one or two comment in his direction in the last couple of weeks, and that the entire extend of my interaction with him in a very long time. I know when energy is being wasted on people.

18. Da Man

I’m not as bad as O’Connor, that’s for sure.

19. Da Man

Oops, selective quotations.

20. Patrick Garratt

Da Man, leave any confrontation based on nationality or race off this site. I won’t have it.

21. Ireland Michael

“You two (you and Grunt246) came into this thread, angrily reading post after post, seeking ‘unfairness’ and ‘bias’. Noone asked your shitty, uneducated opinion on Halo.

Fool.”

“So another russian idiot I see..”

“I know why I do, because you’re more fun than Happy Wars.”

“I don’t troll, I mock.”

He fully admits to intentionally attacking people. I’m not going to keep tabs and bookmarks on his activity, but I see these kind of comments by him countless times every single day.

22. Da Man

Okay. Even if I’m of the same one?

23. Patrick Garratt

24. OrbitMonkey

I have absolutely no problem with it. Though if a character suddenly starts a in-depth discussion about socio-sexual politics for a half-hour cutscene… That might break the flow of the game :-)

Oh & if your interested in reading a fantasy book, where the main male lead just happens to be a raging homo (& that’s raging as in angry), try The Steel Remains, by Richard Morgan… Very, erm, graphic.

25. Patrick Garratt

Fight about video games, or something.

26. Ireland Michael

Your own staff have come to me about him (and *only* him) how much they despise his behaviour and attitude.

Constantly berating people. Constantly insulting them. Pages and pages of mocking, put downs and degrading remarks.

27. Da Man

Okay.

As for O’Connor, google Call of Duty followed by the username. the amount of ‘lowest common denominators’ and ‘braindead kids with power fantasies’ is overwhelming. All while yawning.

28. Patrick Garratt

There’s not liking someone and there’s banning them. They’re two different things. I’ve told him. So let’s (God willing) draw a line under it.

29. Telepathic.Geometry

___________________________________________________________________

30. Digital Bamboo

So, back to that topic…No, I don’t think this debate needs to enter games at all. The fact that this debate still goes on ANYWHERE in two-thousand-fucking-twelve is completely ridiculous to me.

Oh, how silly we’ll look to those looking back at this time in the future.

31. ManuOtaku

I agree With Viral here about Da Man , there are other commenters in the site that surpass him and are way worst, but i agree with the notion that he needs to improve regarding nationality name callings, but iam pretty sure he took note about it, and will stop doing it, and also keep in mind that most of the times he goes against some people , is the ones that he consider to have double standards, according to his criteria, not saying is good just pointing that out.

32. Da Man

One of the CoD staff approached me just to point out how he despises a certain vg247 member’s attitude and behavior. Said the guy should be banned from the internet. Just fyi.

33. OrbitMonkey

^ Did you not see the line that was drawn? Not getting the last put down in, doesn’t mean you lost the war little soldier ;-)

34. Da Man

—–

35. roadkill

Pat I’m not going to censure my believes just because you kids can’t or don’t want to hear them. You might as well ban me now. Though if I have anything else to say I will make a new account. Also, I was not offensive in any way. You have no idea what offensive really is. I think you’re a bit overly sensitive.

36. Patrick Garratt

No homophobia and no racist language. If you can’t do that, you’re in the wrong place.

37. Patrick Garratt

If your “believes” are that you have a phobia of gay people and you feel you have to tell the world about it, then I don’t want you here. It’s up to you.

38. Mike

I believes I can fly.

39. roadkill

@Pat OK. I understand. Though just to make it clear I’m not saying anything bad about them because I don’t have anything against them. It’s just a reaction that I have towards the gay community. It doesn’t mean that I act bad or hate any of them. Hell, I’ve met a few and we understood each other very well. But, I understand your point now. You might be right. I could offend people.. I won’t say anything like that in the future.

Also I apologize to any gay person if I offended you in any way. It was not my intention to do so.

40. OlderGamer

For what it is worth DaMan is as bad(maybe that is a poor choice of a word, sorry) as any other guy I have seen here with two exceptions, only two because one of those posters ran/runs multi accounts.

Most of the time he stears clear of breaking some of the golden rules that can get you banned. That doesn’t make him less of a troll, just a smarter one. He does enjoy personal attacks, slander, and all of the goodness that makes a day fun for a troll. But baning him? You can’t ban everyone that has a different opinon, or likes to argue about things. I do wish he would cool it, people that act like that bring the site down imo. I have talked to users that post less, even vist less directly because of DaMan. But I am sure someone could say that about anyone that expresses an opnion here tho (maybe even about me). Best to just try and ignore him(or other folks you don’t like).

41. Da Man

Exactly, #40. I try best to ignore you because you don’t really break any rules yet I dislike your posts. It ‘s just very difficult.

As for trolling, I never did any of that. Reading comprehension and context are alien to some.

Speaking of homophobia, I presume ‘pink gay space marines’ don’t qualify as good as roadkill’s posts.

42. Dragon246

Hey, regarding the banning and stuff, instead can we do something like community regulation, where certain words/language wont to responded to by others, effectively ignoring their comments so that discussions dont stray too off course?

On the topic, laws be damned. People should have the liberty to do what they want in this case. Gov. has no reason to amend laws just cuz few people are non-sensical.

Good to see Zynga and EA on same page, maybe the only time.

“EA’s head of global diversity and inclusion”
    Is that really a post?