Tekken Tag Tournament disc yields hints at six hidden characters – rumour

Sunday, 9th September 2012 23:38 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 may have an even larger roster than advertised, with early players claiming to have found on-disc data for six hidden characters.

Although there’s no confirmation at this point, Shoryuken has word that players with advance copies have found six unannounced characters referenced in the game’s code.

The additional characters are Miharu Hirano, (Ling Xiaoyu’s best friend and Tekken 4 palette swap); Doctor Boskonovitch (playable in Tekken 3 and creator of Alisa, Alex and more); Slim Bob (a trimmed-down version of Bob seen in a Tekken 6 ending); Sebastian (Lili’s butler); Violet (Lee Chaolan’s alter ego from Tekken 4); and Unknown, who appeared in the first Tekken Tag Tournament and as a boss in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 at arcades.

The Tekken series has something of a history of including special characters unlockable by completing particular actions or objectives, and creator Katsuhiro Harada has hinted heavily that Namco Bandai hasn’t been entirely forthcoming about the brawler’s entire roster.

Hidden characters on a game’s disc raises poor associations ofr fighting fans unhappy with Capcom’s DLC practices, but Harada has promised Tekken Tag Tournament 2 won’t receive premium downloadable characters.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 arrives on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on September 11 in the US, September 13 in Australia and Japan, and September 14 in Europe.

1. AHA-Lambda

Unknown? Dr B?!

Seriously this could be the game that gets me back into fighting games, the nostalgia, hngh!!

2. Ali

I got the game for the PS3, it broke street date here. I hated Tekken starting from the 5th installment but this game got me interested. The gameplay is so wild….

That’s said, I am not sure it is gonna be ver welcomed by tournament players, many stages have some sort of transitional zones that aren’t really good for tournaments and there is an arena which I presume called fallen garden, when you fell to the ground the purple material there stick to your character for a few seconds making it really hard to see especially when both players fall at the same time.

For Single player experience, the game is as Arcady as ever, there aren’t no mini games ,at least not from the start as I am not sure whether some are hidden. The arcade ladderis your typical one but it kinda feels more Arcady I am not sure how to describe it. The combo lab is some silly fun, it reminds of last MK’s tower but that’s it.

The game also has kinda long loading time, and you would encounter loading more frequently than your usual fighting game.

Graphically, all the characters look younger than ever (for those who are die hard fans and know their Tekken) The characters models are miles better than most arenas.

I have finished the game with Marshal Law only, and the ending’s style isn’t a high quality CG as usual but rather some sort of hands drawing or watered down 3D ending, it doesn’t look as good as usual , but I am not sure if this applies to all characters.

The costumazation options aren’t really as wide as Virtua Fighter, I am not sure whether more options will get unlocked if you pushed for higher ranks or not, but I am actually dissapinted with how limited it is as of the start. I hope it is changing but not sure. BTW the ranking system is a watered down Virtua Fighter’s.

The gameplay is faster, better and somewhat easier, the conduction of tag combo attack needs timing, but can also be done in a random way, once you conduct one, the next two are easily done and so fast paced and flashy … It’s just good.. There is the whole fury which makes your character that isn’t fighting get some sort of Fury or Rage after your in tagged in character gets a lot of damage. This fury or rage increases their attack damage for a longer than needed time in my opinion but it really turns the round into a thrill. I somehow can sense the tourney player bragging about it being not balanced and they gonna be complaining like they always do.

I DIDN’T PLAY IT ONLINE YET . I didn’t activate my pass yet…..

For me the game turned me back to one of my favorite series when I was a kid, I thought I would never be loving to play Tekken again but I am wrong. I am not sure how will the game do critically, it isn’t the most filled with content game, but it is far from being in the empty side either. The loading times, fewer than appreciated backgrounds, sillier than wanted Combo Lab and the more Arcady than anticipated arcade mode are gonna be somehow some points eater complaints. The more gimmicky arenas, somehow thrill providing fury’s affect and the somehow Button bashable tag throws,combos and attacks arent really tournament worthy.

I played the game for 3-5 hours before going to sleep, I honestly think that I have done a lot of it and there ain’t really much to do beside finished the combo lab, Arcade modes with all the characters and hours of fun local fights with friends and my brother.

Overall, it is an 8 to 8.5 to me. I hope I score it better later, everything I loved about the series is there yet it quite feels not that filled as a package.

3. Ireland Michael

I can’t help but find it funny how excited the old, jaded fans get for TTT2, purely out of nostalgia, when the core mechanics (bar tagging) are no different to 6. Namco are rising the nostalgia train hard with this one.

4. osric90

@2 Before trying to make a quick review, at least play the game for a more solid period of time.

5. The_Red

I’m more interested in the fact that they might be on-disk DLC. Hopefully they are the type of secret chars that can be unlocked while playing the game normally, specially since this isn’t a Capcom game (AKA Asshole factory).

6. KrazyKraut

The “you unlocked item X” days are over. mostly.
    Bought SSX two weeks ago and I am somewhat disappointed.

7. KAP

Hahaha, Trust the VG247 community to complain about TTT2, seriously.

A game that’s clearly a spin-off, a game that doesn’t add to the cannon of Tekken series, a game that’s built for fans of the series and newcomers alike with a plethora of content filled to the brim with loads of gameplay and “fun”.

We have one dude who decides to review the whole game after a few hours of play, a game thats been reiterated for the past 15 years to become one of the most polished Fighter on the market today.

Or lets mention a dude that just decides to voice his distaste for a game he isn’t interested in which in effect makes his comment completely fucking frivolous.

“you unlocked item X”

Mate, There’s 55 characters on this day one, MVC2 had 56 MVC3 had 54, so if this article is true then TTT2 has more characters in any fighting game, is that any reason to get mad at that ffs.

Like I said, VG247 community for the most part are such whinny cunts.
    Moaning about free content for a fan service game now just confirms it.

Thank god critics see through the bullshit and has been giving it top scores.