Darksiders 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3D move over 200,000 in August

Saturday, 8th September 2012 14:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Darksiders 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3D figures have been expanded up by NPD after releasing its monthly US retail report.

According to the firm, for August, Darksiders 2 sold 247,000 copies in the US.

Industry analyst Michael Pachter reckons that figure “probably over 1 million” globally at this point.

“I think that the sales are below what they had hoped for,” Pachter told GI International. “I presume it sold around 500,000 globally in the first two weeks (the NPD cutoff was Aug 25), so it’s probably over 1 million now.

“But my understanding is that breakeven is greater than 2 million units, so it’s not likely to get much higher than that. We should probably give it another month and see if it’s tracking better.”

Nintendo’s reported Kingdom Hearts 3D sales of 180,000 but didn’t add sales of the Mark of Mastery collector’s edition into the mix.

NPD told Siliconera that when combined, the two versions of the game push units sales of the title to “well beyond 200,000.”

1. OlderGamer

I think the break even point for DS2 is 2million units. That boggles my mind.

2. Erthazus

@1, yeah. But the game is not that hyped really to move 2 million units to be honest and it’s not That good to begin with to move so many units.

Although that raises another question about next gen… How many B-games will need to break even at this point if the game with ok quality visuals like this need to move 2 million units for a publisher that is killing itself each day.

3. AHA-Lambda

@1 – that’s the break even for basically any AAA game these days.

4. Phoenixblight

Thats not good for Vigil. You can expect lay offs \.

Its typical of triple A games. I honestly think publishers should think of making smaller teams or look into other avenues of making games maybe similar to Tell Tale games with episodic content because if publishers continue to throw money to play catch up to the demand you will see more shuttering come next gen.

5. OlderGamer

I agree PB.
    Esp with this:

“because if publishers continue to throw money to play catch up to the demand you will see more shuttering come next gen.”

When I make those wild ass and crazy sounding statements about the console industry canibilizing itself or having outdated biz models. That is the type of thing I am thinking.

That sector of the games industry needs a rethink. I think.

You folks think game prices will increase next gen?

I think they will.

WiiU = 60usd.
    PS4 = 70usd.
    XBNXT = 80usd.

And I doubt that will help drive sales either.

Smaller teams, less costly production costs, shoter dev times, and cheaper games. Otherwise the alternitive market like Mobile and PC/Indie will continue to grow. And consoles, continue to shrink.

6. Phoenixblight

“WiiU = 60usd.
    PS4 = 70usd.
    XBNXT = 80usd.”

Dunno why next gen Ps3 or Xbox 360 will be different prices but I agree they will go up in price. I agree with the WIIU price of games will increase because that Online services is being passed on to the publishers and developers instead of something like Xbox or PS3 where they pay a flat fee. Pubs and Devs will have to pass that cost to someone and it will be the consumer.

“Whats going to be left at some point are a handfull of trip A franchises cranking out either yealry sequels or subscription based “services”.”

I think that is going a bit extreme surely that will happen if publishers continue to do what they do now and not looking into sustainability. It could come down to a publisher even a small one like THQ going under for EA and Activision to wise up but I believe they will before it gets to that extreme. We will see though. EA and Activision have survived a crash in the 90s because their ability to adapt hopefully they will be faster on their toes.