XBLA Summer of Arcade 2012 sales figures are disappointing

Friday, 7th September 2012 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s Xbox Live Summer of Arcade season has yielded low sales figures for 2012, a new report suggests.

This year’s Summer of Arcade season was comprised of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD, Deadlight, Wreckateer, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Hybrid, which together garnering lacklustre sale figures, although some games fared much better than others.

Gamasutra’s report – by way of Eurogamer – relinquished the following first week player figures:

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD – 98,000 players
Deadlight – 53,000 players
Wreckateer – 6629 players (now the worst-selling Summer of Arcade game since 2009)
Hybrid – 12,168
Dust: An Elysian Tail – 32,000

Eurogamer adds that by comparison, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which launched the week after Summer of Arcade ended enjoyed 145,709 players in its first week. Gamasutra suggests that by comparison, this was a weak Summer of Arcade season.

What did you think of Summer of Arcade this year? Let us know below.

1. AHA-Lambda

It was easily the weakest line up for a SoA I think I’ve seen. It’s disappointing that Dust didn’t do better however, cos that was the only game that stood out, and it was a genuinely great game.

2. majicship

I thought it was a lame SoA and I didn’t bother with any of it. The titles struck me as dull and uninteresting.

3. Hunam

Tony Hawk’s is good fun, but the maps could have been better picked. The Reviews were a bit off kilter though, moaning about how simplified the skating was when over-complication is what took SKATE 2/3 and Tony Hawks games down in the first place.

4. drewbles82

Only one im interested in is Tony H and waiting for deal of the week.
    Also I think some people are slowly being put off Xboxlive. Its a great service but PSN is free to play online, then if you do the PS+, you get a bunch of free games every month, yeh might be a few yrs old but Red dead and Borderlands for free, that will last you weeks and its all cheaper than gold. I’m not one to buy anything day one but I feel xbox will loose customers if they don’t offer something extra to customers.

5. Ge0force

#4 Very true. PS+ owners get brand new PSN games for free, including Trine 2, Retro/Grade and Double Dragon Neon. It’s a great deal, so if you own a PS3 you should go for it.

But it’s sad that Dust: An Elysian Tail didn’t sell so good, it’s a great game! The other games are mediocre imo, and didn’t get very good reviews either.

6. Timurse

The games are shitty. Only Deadlight is quite ok. It’s a pity Microsoft can’t really invite the projects like Braid, LIMBO, Shadow Complex, Minecraft, Trials Evolution and others. Though I would say that Sony is not a winner here either. The last really cool game there was Journey (I bought a PS3 for this game).

Hope it can improve on that with some projects like Infinity Blade Kinect, Real Racing 3 and Xbox HD ports (DREAMFAAAAALLL).

7. DrDamn

Going to stick my neck out here but Wreakateer is a fantastic little title. Exactly what Kinect should be used for. Responsive, fun and surprising depth to the gameplay too.

8. drewbles82

@5 Thats the problem, I don’t wanna be one of these people who own both consoles and have a bunch of stuff on one and bunch on the other. I prefer xbox, love the achievement system. I just think you got these two big companies going against each other and Sony pulled a big one with free games. If i were MS, id be thinking what to offer to compete with sony. Deal of the week isnt enough now since PS, will prob get those games free.

9. DrDamn

I think that will come with the next generation. PS+ is fantastically well done and something MS is bound to be looking at. I expect both to have a monthly sub service model which incorporates the features of Live with PS+.

10. The_Red

Wasn’t Spelunky part of SoA? I really, REALLY hope that one did better than current titles although Dust was mostly great.

11. ManuOtaku

In my eyes is a shame That deadlight and Tony Hawk did better than Dust, not that i didnt enjoy those games, or that i dont understand that people will like those games, i do understand it, i did like deadlight too, but for me the game that stood out the most was dust, with great replay value, very polished game, not rough around any edges, great gameplay, great graphics, and a decent story, for me it has it all, the whole package, and because it was just a one man job, it deserve it better, and more so because in the previous summer promotions the best games always came on top, really strange situation.

12. OlderGamer

I am shocked Dust didn’t do better.

But, if you guys recall, I said awhile back that digital content(DLC aside) doesn’t move like people think it does. Some folks believe the dip in retail sales is just a result of a shift from physical to digital. It just isn’t. XBL isn’t Steam.

And mostly it is the price.

I have been a huge suporter of XBLA/indie over the years. This year I didn’t even onload the demos for the SoA games, untill Manu recomended Dust(great game btw). The reason is that during the summer sale on Steam I bought 14 games for 60usdish. To buy all of the SoA games it would more then what I spent on Steam.

Just isn’t worth it, when other cheaper games can be had.

And I didn’t get all odd crap, you never heard of before on Steam, I got NFS Shift2, NFS HotPursuit, L4D, etc.

So yeah, a brief look at the preview SoA line up, a look at their prices, and I just largly ignored them. I bet a lot of other folks did the same.

13. Henry

I was only looking forward to Deadlight. But the 3-5 hours playtime turned me off.

Eventually I bought Dust: AET and it was surprisingly good. It’s like a western version of Odin Sphere, or Muramasa. Definitely worth the 1200 msp. If this sales number is true, it’s quite disappointing.

14. Da Man

#5 Out of curiosity, have you found any exclusive Xbla games above average?..

Deadlight is a great game, it’s really well done and doesn’t descend into melee tediousness as I feared at first at all. It ‘s like a more relaxed Another World with zombies.

You just have to ignore all the bs the guy keeps babbling. But then aside from the voiceacting it’s not that worse than the Silent Hill, let alone all the zombie games.