ArenaNet looking into causes of group splitting in GW2

Friday, 31st August 2012 22:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Guild Wars 2 players have been running into some issues with grouping, with many party members getting lost within the MMO’s overflow servers. ArenaNet studio head and co-founder Mike O’Brien has said the team is aware of the issue, but until players spread out more into the game world, it’s going to happen.

Speaking with Eurogamer, O’Brien said the fact groups are being split up on overflow servers is indeed a problem, and there are a “few different root causes,” for the splits.

“We’re learning about things that are causing that one by one,” he said. “We have been fixing each of those day after day after day, fixing more things. What you’re seeing is, day after day after day, the incidents of this are getting lower and lower. We’re just basically keeping working to minimize, minimize, minimize.

“It’s a super important thing we need to make a top priority and fix. We’re making some really good traction on it, of course, I wish it wasn’t happening at all, but we’re getting it licked with each passing day.”

O’Brien said the team is “working around the clock to address this stuff,” reiterating that everyone at the studio is “getting very little sleep right now.”

“Each day we hope we’re addressing the last few things. I think we’re very close, but things could come up – I can’t make promises,” he said. “What we don’t want to do is, we don’t want to say: ‘Because there are so, so many people playing in Queensdale right now,’ for example, we will create many times as many worlds as we need and then, when people move on from Queensdale, and spread throughout the entire world, all the worlds will feel empty.

“That one [when overflows will stop being needed] is actually really not in our control. What will keep people playing in overflow servers is when people actually have levelled up a bit and spread themselves throughout the world.

“The thing that makes overflow servers a lot more understandable and palatable is when you can easily find your friends, and you can keep your parties together through overflow servers, and that’s why it’s such an important thing to get the party problem fixed. S that when you travel to a different map, you’re staying with your party.

“That’s the primary thing that’s causing people stress about the overflow servers – difficulty finding friends. Hopefully, very soon, those problems will be fixed. That will get overflow servers to a much better state.

“Really, people, as they spread through the world, that’s what will ultimately cause them to stop seeing the overflow servers.”

Guild Wars 2 released on August 28 after a three-day early start for pre-purchasers.

1. OlderGamer

I don’t understand how the overflow server things works. It keeps asking to que and join stuff, I have no idea what the difference is between where they want me to go and where I currently am at the time.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Me neither. Then again, I have yet to pick the game up. I figured I would wait a bit until everything was smoothed out. I don’t like jumping into MMOs until they have been released for a couple months at least. Mainly due to launch issues, and queuing for quest mobs, items, etc.

3. Hcw87

Overflow is basically a backup server that fills up with people from all the european servers when their own server fills up. Some zones are really packed right after release, so expect alot of overflow in the starting areas (where the first 2 dungeons are also located).
    When you get a popup informing you to Travel or ”Requeue” you have the option to travel to your own server. You can allways requeue to get the popup at a later time if you’re busy with an event or something. Basically, it’s a system that prevents server login queues, which is nice.

Also @2, those issues aren’t present in this game, there are no race to get to questitems/questmobs, as every questitem you see (along with minerals, ore etc) are all unique to your character, which means that even though someone loots something, it can still be looted by you. You can also join in with someone on a questmob and get the quest objective done. It’s what makes this game so great.

EDIT: Overflow servers are per zone btw, so you rarely get in any overflow servers on lvl 40+ zones, since not many people have reached that level yet.

4. DSB

I’m spending more time in overflow than anywhere else. Can’t be a lot of fun for the people in guilds.

5. OlderGamer

Thnx for the info Hcw87. And he is right Steph, I haven’t encountered any of the typical problems most MMOrpgs have like quest mobs, looting, kill stealing, etc. The game has some really smart ideas.

My troubles have more to do with feeling lost and overwhelemd alot. Something I haven’t experienced before in other MMOrpgs. Must be my age catching up to me, cause my son seems to be having no problem with it.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

OG there are things that a father teaches son and there are things that son can teach the father. Ask him he’d gladly explain everything you’re having difficulties with. :P

Currently I feel too left out of the MMO world, I’ll grab this as soon as I know the game is stable enough.

Also it’d be nice if we all play on the same server part of Guild of our own, I know we can guest on each others server but where’s the fun in that?

7. OlderGamer

;)

8. Hcw87

I understand how people can feel overwhelmed, it takes time to get used to the events/crafting/overflow etc. But when you do finally get it, it’s hard to put down. Feels like a revolution of the MMO genre to me. Dungeons are pretty amazing too, filled with little puzzles.

9. OlderGamer

I am slow to warm up to games these days. I have had the same problem with BF3, DiabloIII, and more. Once I do I am good. Things just don’t come as quick as they used to. I can tell you I am impressed with a lot of the thinking in GW2. I think when it gets smoothed out, it should be great. Well that and when I get up to speed.

10. DarkElfa

Look, its been a week since launch and the forums are still offline, the trading post is still offline, so there is no economy and the mail system keeps going down like a 5 dollar hooker.

How about you address those issues, you fucker.

11. DSB

@5 The main problem I’m having is that the quests and XP aren’t paced very well. More often than not I have to grind, so I can continue the story or survive in the next area.

It’s pretty annoying to have to run around and see if you can find a suitable event nearby. Sometimes there are plenty, other times there are none.

I thought one of the major drawpoints was that it was less of a grind, and I can definitely see the potential for it, but it’s just not very well thought through right now.

It reminds me of WoW when it first launched. Getting from level 20 to 30 was the worst part of the game, because there were very few quests to take you there.

12. OlderGamer

I would agree with that DSB. I am not very far along thu.

13. GrimRita

Theres so much going on with the game that isnt working right now. I am so stunned no one from Arena sat down and said ‘what about groups and the over flow? How will that work?’

The only flip side is that this is F2P and over all is a decent fun experience. But its now EIGHT DAYS and the auction house still doesnt work – but at least in WvW I am levelling up fast

14. Hcw87

If the enemies keep outleveling you, you’re supposed to find a new suitable area to level up in and come back a little later when you’ve gained a few levels. Lets say you’re level 20 and leveling in a 15-25 zone. Mobs start overleveling you and you’re having a hard time. There’s atleast 3 other lvl 15-25 areas for you to try, so you should never have to grind ever. Even if you’re lvl 25 and go to an area with lvl 15 mobs, your level gets scaled down, so you still gain XP and it’s still challenging.

15. The_Red

People have gotten too used to the stupid and disgusting model of enemy auto-scale in modern RPGs like Oblivion and to some serious degree, Skyrim. That’s why the very few RPGs with old school / fixed enemy level like Borderlands 1 shine like the sun in a desert.

16. viralshag

@ DSB, as I said in the GW2 forum post, the scalable levelling is my favourite feature. You’re on Blacktide, right? Want me to come and join you in a new area and show how a real Necro rolls? :p

17. xXNapsterManXx

@2 you dont have to worry about queueing for mobs or quest items , you can attack someone else’s mob and still get quest progress and all the interaction items in world including gathering nodes and quest items are phased so they are in your world meaning 50 people can mine the same copper vein or pick up the same quest item.

18. DSB

How does scaled levelling work? I’m usually two or three levels below the next area.

@15 I honestly didn’t see any scaling in Skyrim. In the beginning there were plenty of enemies that had an advantage on me, and towards the end, there was no challenge from any of them, and most fights ended in a oneshot kill.

19. Talkar

There is scaling in Skyrim, but it is no where near as retarded as it was in Oblivion. In Oblivion it was practically a 1:1 scaling, in Skyrim i’m not entirely sure how much lower the scaling is, but it is definitely not much scaling there is in that game :P

20. Phoenixblight

Its similiar to ME where they have tier of enemies where bosses would be 5X player level where the trash mobs like the rats were like 2 – player.

21. OrbitMonkey

The scaling in Skyrim is one of the reasons I’m not bothered by Bethesda abandoning the PS3 for its dlc.

It’s a fucking cakewalk from level 20 onwards, I dropped the big bad Aludin in 2 seconds ffs.

22. OlderGamer

The scaling is why I stoped playing Oblivion, and why I skipped Skyrim altogether.

23. The_Red

As #19 and #20 said, scaling in Skyrim isn’t as horrible as Oblivion but yeah, even that is stupid. Heck, even in something like Fallout New Vegas (Where they pretty much removed 90 percent of F3′s scaling) it was still annoying.

Really, REALLY hate any form of scaling because it takes away the one reason I love RPGs from them.

24. roadkill

And that’s why you never play MMOs from day 1. It’s commons sense really.

25. magnumfinger

This game is so gonna be f*cked up after two months.