Spec Ops: The Line updated with free co-op content

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 17:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Spec Ops: The Line has been updated with free co-op content.

The cooperative content contains a series of “objective-based cooperative multiplayer scenarios,” set in Dubai after a series of sandstorms descended upon the city.

Content in the update include four missions, each containing various objectives, environments and playable characters.

Spec Ops: The Line co-op is now available for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 free of charge to everyone who owns or purchases a copy.

1. YoungZer0

For me, this is the most important game of the year, if not one of the most important game of the last 10 years. If you haven’t played it, you’re missing out. Big time. No game has ever managed to make me feel this bad, yet so glad i had the chance to experience this feeling.

2. ps3fanboy

the controls so bad in this game it put me off playing it. why cant developers learn how to do proper third person controls. look at uncharted thats how controls should be done for third person.

3. Clupula

@1 – Can’t be an important game. Nintendo didn’t release it.

Sorry, the fever is contagious. Back to the subject at hand..

4. AHA-Lambda

@1 – really? O__o
    I thought it was crap.

5. YoungZer0

@4: What was crap about it?

6. Sadismek

@3 Haha :D

7. Len

Playing at the moment and I’ve got to say it is boring me a bit. Up to chapter 5 and close to stopping tbh…just don’t think it is v good. :(

8. YoungZer0

@7: Chapter 5? Are you serious? You haven’t even seen half of the game. Not even close. At least make it to Chapter 10.

9. Len

Ok, just for you I’ll struggle onwards! ;)

10. AHA-Lambda

@5 – there was just nothing that stood out to me about this game at all.

Mechanically it as bare bones as possible. But in terms of the story that everyone has been praising, yeah it’s nice to see a AAA shooter tackle this subject matter of the horror of warfare, but it didn’t handle it very well imo.

The game was constantly trying to have its cake whilst eating it by putting me in situations where I need to mow down hundreds if not thousands of enemies by the games end. My squad mates chastise me for my actions which were necessary by player engagement (about 90% of the time) or it would have gotten us all killed but 2 minutes later will aloud shout how they want to shoot them.

I feel like I am somehow missing something cos almost everyone seemed to love spec ops for its plot but I saw nothing that worked there just good intentions.

@7 – don’t bother, it doesn’t. I wish I quit by that around that point but everyone told me it gets better.

11. ballz

this game was boring as fuck; after chapter 12 it starts to kickass but too late

12. Docker Al

Multiplayer was criminally under appreciated. Reviewers simply bagged it and there is only a small but enthusiastic community of players who are loving it.And yes the SP was awesome.

13. YoungZer0

Extra Credit released an episode about it:

They really seem to get it.

14. Len

@8 & 10 So I gave it another go and finished it last night and I have to say I still don’t think it is a v good game, it is so clunky.

Ok, I respect them for trying a different approach and hammering home the ‘horrors’ of war and the ending was genuinely good and different. Liked that basically told you…SPOILER – it’s all your fault – SPOILER but not sure howe many kids are gonna take that onboard but they should be commended for trying something different narrative wise but not for the game. It was a 3rd person shooter by numbers for me.

Now what next, Darksiders or Sleeping Dogs…?

15. viralshag

@14, either is a good choice from what I have played so far. If you’re playing on the PC it might help you to know Sleeping Dogs is a much better looking game but if you really loved Darksiders then DS2 is an amazing sequel to it. Better in almost all areas.

16. Len

Cool, thanks vs. I’ve gone for ds2 first as I loved the first. Am playing on pc and have heard dogs looks great like you say.

17. viralshag

No problem, Len. I hope you like it!

18. YoungZer0

@14: Well, that’s disappointing. I think you’re looking at it at a completely wrong perspective. The game tries to fool you into thinking it’s just another shooter game (And it is, gameplay-wise), but soon it makes a 180° and challenges you to ask yourself questions. For the first time in a FPS/TPS.

Why are you here exactly, what are you trying to achieve? Why do you keep going, after all you’ve done?

The game doesn’t ask Walker, it asks you. There are many subtle things in this game, like for example, you run towards a blooming tree, when you turn around you’ll find the same tree all dried up. There’s a huge ad with Konrads face on it, if you look again it’s gone.

You see Call of Duty, Battlefield, all those games never even dare to touch the hard subjects. Their message is clear:

US/UK good. Russia/North Korea/China/ bad. Very bad. You have to save the world, so everything is legit. You can do whatever you want. You can kill your enemies any way you want. It doesn’t matter, because it’s all for the greater good. It’s a simple good vs. evil story. As shallow and black and white as possible.

Walker doesn’t kill his enemies because he can, or because it’s an order. But because he has too. The very first encounter with refugees forces his hands, as they think that he’s part of the Damned 33rd and immediately attack him. Yet the game never, ever says it’s okay. Walker just keeps on going, as he’s trying to find an opportunity to undo what he did. But that opportunity never comes.

There are more elements to the game than just harsher storytelling.

For example:

SPOILER:

Everytime the game’s screen shifts to white, it means that Walker is imagining the following events. The developer has left a lot of room for interpretation. The main writer’s interpretation is that Walker never survived the Sandstorm Crash, that he died and the events that come after that are all an imagination.

There are 4 different ending, none of them pretty, because Walker, you, fucked up way too many things. There is simply no going back in this game. No fixing the events. You’re responsible for the death of thousands of people.

The game punches you in the guts harder than any game has ever managed to. You can look at the events of the game from different perspectives. Walker could be a representation of the US forces, who invaded two countries to rid it off ‘evil’, to be the ‘heroes’, but it ultimately it all failed. Because it’s never that easy. It’s not black and white.

The game is as grey as it gets. Most of the time Walker fucked up because he didn’t really understood what was going on.

/SPOILER

It just saddens me that the game tries to do so many things, deliver so many messages, provoke so many discussion and all people seem to care about is the gameplay.