Xbox 720 – rumoured first image of Kinect 2 dev tool

Friday, 10th August 2012 09:04 GMT By Stace Harman

A grainy image has surfaced of what is reported to be the Kinect 2 dev tool in action.

After a report last week suggested that the dev kits for the new Xbox – codenamed Durango – were distributed in February, a screen shot has appeared online of what is supposedly the next iteration of Kinect in action.

The shot comes courtesy of Xboxygen and shows the development tool can recognise individual fingers and the shape of clothes.

The new iterations of both Xbox and PlayStation are being tipped to appear towards the end of 2013.

1. daytripper

First Kinect was mundane IMO and if the rumours are true that this will be included with every system I hope retailers do a package without it as I won’t be paying for it

2. DrDamn

Looks considerably more accurate – at least in image capture – than the current Kinect.

3. Deacon

My money’s on it being part of the initial launch system, with later ‘budget’ models escaping its inclusion.

Microsoft seem to assume that everyone in the world would rather control their console with a combination of voice and arm-waving, as opposed to a few flicks of their thumb.

There’s a place in the industry for motion control, for sure. But that doesn’t stop me from FUCKING HATING IT!

God I’m angry today…

4. manamana

Looks also like its more of a wideangle lens, which comes in handy in smaller rooms.

5. OlderGamer

I agree with Deacon. ‘Cept I am angry everyday lol. The battlenet hack doesn’t help. Between Wow and Diablo III that is 75% or more of day to day game time.

6. fearmonkey

I never bought a Kinect as I didnt want to re-arrange my living room to use it. If they fix the distance that it can be used i might actually be able to use the kinect2.

7. CPC_RedDawn

With the “rumored” spec of the 720 I see this being an inclusion rather than a limited bundle for launch units. This will be included in EVERY version of the console without fail. Microsoft want to get it into as many houses a possible and tap into the whole family not just the hardcore gamer. But the moms, dads, grand parents, and sisters of the house too. I see the next xbox launching with a ton of “INCLUDED BLOATWARE” in the form of apps that take advantage of Kinect 2.0 after all this is what Microsoft’s goal has been from day one. A PC in every living room, it just so happens that they sore a gap in the console market and used hardcore gamers to their advantage. Now they simply spit and laugh in the face of us hardcore gamers as they have completely abandoned us. Relying on third party software to drive their console. If the 720 is anything over £300 at launch then I could see it being a COMPLETE FLOP! As the rest of the family either have a Wii or 360 w/Kinect or will be upgrading to the Wii U from the Wii( the latter I believe will be a small amount).

I say we the gamers abandon Microsoft. They have proven they will just jump the bandwagon if it means more money. They jumped and left us PC gamers and entered the closed console market. They then left hardcore gamers in the dark in favor of casual gamers who just want to dance and wave they arms around in the living room. Fuck Microsoft, if they want to release underpowered pieces of crap that they milk for 8 to 10 years at a time then count me out!!

8. monkeygourmet

All companies want market dominance, MS is no exception.

My main worry with Kinect is the fact it desensitise’s people to potential having a FUCKING CAMERA in your living room, recording your life and what you say at the drop of a hat…

First it will be opt out of technology, then it will be steamrolled after some crime happens that Kinect has recorded…

Now, where’s my tin foil hat… :)