New Dishonored video shows how to kill with creativity

Thursday, 9th August 2012 17:40 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Bethesda has released a new trailer for its upcoming stealth action title Dishonored, in which a few of the ways players will be able to take out their opponents are showcased. For all of you itching to see someone get blown up by a possessed rat, here’s your chance. Take a look below.

Dishonored is set to launch on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC this October.

1. YoungZer0

Okay, the game still looks bland as fuck, but the many ways to kill your enemies definitely have me interested.

2. TheWulf

And I’m still longing for that game which shows us fantastic ways in which you don’t kill.

I’m completely serious. If we can have these fantastic, whimsically impossible killers, why not do the same with pacifists who get out of situations and solve problems whilst taking no lives, or at least the most minimal amount possible. Through cleverness, magic/technology, relying on the flaws of the human condition (for example: people are lazy and ease of use is often more important than security) to acquire things that one might otherwise kill for.

If a game wanted to get me interested, that would be a thing to show me. Why are we turning murder into an almost religious fetish? And one that we gamers seem to guard with the profound zeal of a bigot, too. We never step back and think okay, there might be a lot of death in games without any options to avoid it, and that is a bit worrying… no, we always jump to the defence of well, s’just a game, innit?

But where’s the variety? Where’s the choice? Where’s the chance to prove that I’m not some kind of mindless fucking barbarian? Yes, sure, violence can be fun occasionally, but unless you’re playing puzzle games, point & click adventure games, or genres similar to that, you’ll be spending 95% of your time killing things. And killing more things.

And then killing some more.

Sometimes I feel like a bloody mercury dragon, because I crave variety. Only Dungeons & Dragons fans are going to get that, but like the mercury dragon, I tire of this bland, paletteless, paste-like diet of endless, boring murder. Yes. Killing is boring. It’s really, really fucking boring. Not killing is actually engrossing, riveting, and dare I say even winning if only because you’re presented with unique scenarios by not slitting that man’s throat over there.

Making the choice to not end a life should present new gameplay options. Instead, the only option one has is: Kill that person/creature or press Alt+F4.

Not much of a choice.

–EDIT–

Sitting here thinking about it, I think the reason we focus on killing so much is, indeed, because of the human condition. We’re lazy bastards, and ultimately, killing is easy. Killing is just about the easiest thing you can do. And then, if you remove the real world ramifications for killing, it becomes even easier!

That’s fantastic, less development time, just concentrate on killing because so damned lazy. I mean, if you look at the ‘creative’ killing here, it’s just the tip of the iceberg compared to how creative you’d have to be to create a system where not killing is interesting. Why? You’d need to create combat systems that revolve around disarming in entertaining ways. Oh, and good writing, because TALKING is one of the primary ways that you avoid killing in a good game.

I think it’s just laziness. Killing is turned into a fetish because developers are too lazy to implement interesting systems of pacifism, and gamers are too lazy to face the challenges presented by not killing. Killing is easy. I’m just thankful that we do have real world ramifications for killing, otherwise we’d use killing to solve all of our problems in our day to day lives, too.

Maybe that’s what games need: Not only peaceful options, but genuine bloody ramifications for killing.

That I’d find interesting and entertaining.

3. OrbitMonkey

^ Well I guess the answer th that is that the devs do not have enough faith in the maturity of the audience to gamble a game designed for the more thoughtful player.

4. Talkar

Ever tried any of the Hitman games? You can play through any mission and only have to kill your target, which is what 1-2 guys? And even then you can do so by accident. But no, there are plenty of games where you don’t have to kill anyone, they just aren’t shooters.

5. Aimless

@2 You can finish Dishonored without killing anyone.

Whilst your comment was far too long for its own good, I agree with the general sentiment. One of the reasons I appreciate the Metal Gear Solid games is their quiet advocation of non-lethality from the second entry onwards: there are numerous ways to disable or avoid enemies without killing, with the highest rankings requiring you not to kill anyone at all.

6. Giskard

@2 Deus Ex, Hitman come to mind.

Also, you play a SHOOTER and don’t want to SHOOT people? Okay.

7. roadkill