Medal of Honor Warfighter: ‘poor quality of first game will hurt sales’ – analyst

Tuesday, 31st July 2012 11:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Medal of Honor: Warfighter is just one of many FPS titles vying for a slice of Call of Duty’s audience this year, but a US financial firm has said the ‘poor quality’ of the original and a lack of E3 interest will cause sales to suffer.

In a research paper released to Forbes Doug Creutz – an analyst with US firm Cowen – has revealed that the firm slashed its projected sales figures for Warfighter after a poor E3 showing.

Cowen originally estimated that Medal of Honor: Warfighter would shift 2.3 million copies from its October 26 launch until December.

But Creutz revealed that after E3 2012, the firm reappraised its projections down to just 1.4 million.

Creutz explained the shift, “This is based on a very soft performance since E3 in Amazon’s top-selling game rankings compared to other recent titles. We think the most likely culprit for apparent gamer disinterest is the poor quality of the last ‘Medal of Honor’ game in 2010.”

Medal of Honor: Warfighter wasn’t the only EA game to have its projections slashed, as the firm estimates that Star Wars: The Old Republic will also take a hit this year.

Cowen also estimates that BioWare’s MMO active player base will fall from 1 million to 500,000 due to “continued poor server density trends.”

Are you excited for Medal of Honor: Warfighter? Let us know all about it below.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I have noticed that EA have been the quietest that they’ve been in years when it comes to putting their big FPS release up against CoD.

It’s quite refreshing, actually…

Maybe they’ve looked at the quality of Warfighter and decided not to waste the energy.

2. Hirmetrium

@1: Agreed. It seems the setbacks after Mass Effect 3 have humbled EA somewhat and made them realise just how aware the public is of the lacking quality and time put into their titles. Even Battlefield 3 had huge problems (and still does).

I’m not sure what sort of change is happening there at the moment. I hope its for the best, and doesn’t mean even more heads end up rolling.

One thing is for sure, all this Free to play talk and brushing off failures as “current market conditions” is not reassuring.

Did they ever announce how well Mass Effect 3 did?

3. freedoms_stain

Am I excited for Warfighter?

4. Erthazus

I’m not excited for Warfighter too, but the game is much better than any Activision’s crap so far.

5. _LarZen_

I enjoyed the first game so I am looking forward to Warfighter.

6. Hunam

I’ll get it just because it’ll look great on my PC because of frostbite 2.

7. Demigod

Is it ok now to say I want a WW2 MOH again. I want to retake Normandy, to fight in the Arden. These “ultra realistic” modern day Micheal Bay film/games are getting a bit over saturated to me. AT least it would make MOH stand out rather than being yet another COD clone