EA – over 800,000 have signed up for Battlefield Premium

Friday, 29th June 2012 18:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA Games chief Patrick Soderlund has told USA Today that over 800,000 people signed up for its Battlefield Premium Service during its first two weeks of availability. “We are very pleased with the performance so far,” said Soderlund. “We’re actually only two weeks into it, so it’s a little early to tell how this is going to pay off. It certainly it looks very promising right now.” Soderlund also said EA’s looking for ways ti implement the service into other products, echoing recent remarks made by labels boss Frank Gibeau.

1. roadkill

So 800.000 CoD players on my Battlefield.. It’s good that they are being contained in Metro only and Close Quarters maps. :))

2. jacobvandy

@1 What kind of bullshit warped perception is that? I and many of my friends who despise COD bought Premium because it’s a good deal for all the DLC and the other perks that come along with it. It was an especially good deal for me because I did that India proxy thing to get it for like $27!

I still play primarily large conquest air maps; stuff like Metro and CQ are okay once in a while when I want some deathmatch (CQ Domination mode is retarded IMO). And not for nothin’, I see tons of other Premies in non-Metro, non-CQ games, so consider your little bubble bursted.

3. Giskard

@1 That’s just retarded. Most people who bought Premium are Battlefield fans and are interested in all the DLC coming out, including Close Quarters, but mostly (at least me) Armored Kill.

4. DSB

Everyone’s an idiot, just not roadkill.

5. xavdeman

@2 (jacobvandy) – tell me how to do your India Proxy thing. I already have Premium, but maybe the next time something like this launches. I want to take advantage of free trade :)

6. jacobvandy

@5 It was just a simple use of a proxy to have the Origin store set your region to India. The way they had Premium priced in rupees equated to only $26 or so in USD, so even with paying an extra dollar or two for a foreign transaction fee from your bank it was really cheap. Other people were doing it for cheaper pre-orders of games like Dead Space 3, as well, but after a day or two EA caught on and adjusted the prices. Sorry to the people that actually live in India and have to pay more now, lol.

The same method would conceivably still work for other regions/currencies, you’d just have to do some research as to the exchange rate and what prices they’re charging there. Unless they completely overhauled their digital pricing all over the world, which I think is unlikely because they surely put a lot of work into determining appropriate regional prices to begin with.

7. roadkill

Actually Yes DSB! Everyone IS an idiot except me. Why?
    1. True Battlefield fans would have pre-ordered the game. Which means they would have already owned Back to Karkland since before the release of Premium.
    2. Only CoD fans or ex-CoD fans would play Close Quarters. I don’t know any Battlefield vets who play it. And I know quite a few.
    3. Which means that there are 3 pieces of DLC left. 45 euros. Premium is 50. So why pay more? Unless.. 1 and 2 apply for them.
    I rest my case.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Bit of a raging elitist snob, aren’t we?

Your little tirade makes the Call of Duty guys look rational in comparison, to be honest.

9. DSB

@7 Wow… That’s brilliant.

10. ASBI

why gamers didn’t trash this service like they did to COD elite is beyond me .. anyway I’ve been playing BF3 on PS3 and that made me hate EA even more .. admins kicking me for no significant reason !! WTF ???? and other players having superior weapons just because they’re Premium members!! seriously, where are you going with this, EA?

is there any DICE servers that are not controlled by butthurt admins ?
    if so .. how can I join?

11. AHA-Lambda

@10 – becauase it’s cool to hate on CoD but totally dismiss the exact same faults in BF3 -_-

the very fact that people tried to defend BF3′s $15 map packs over CoD’s map packs was clear indication of this. Getting sick of this crap.

12. stretch215

After putting bf3 through it’s paces I gotta say…. I liked bc2 better gameplay-wise. To me it just felt more solid (I guess).

13. freedoms_stain

@11, as much as I’m not buying into Premium, BF3 expansions ARE a better deal than CoD. You don’t just get 4 maps, you get the maps and the assignments and weapons along with it.

Premium also gets you a bunch of superficial crap tacked on if you’re in to that kind of thing.

14. ASBI

@12 I thought I was the only one :) .. bc2 was a better game in my book, at least for consoles

15. freedoms_stain

It’s certainly 100% opinion, but I enjoyed BC2 way more. BC2 offers you a lot more freedom in comparison to BF3. Every building on a BC2 map is fully accessible and fully destructible. BF3 is full of solid blocks of nothing that you can’t even get on top of without resorting to tricks with a spawn beacon or wasting an air vehicle.

16. Giskard

@10 So bad admins make you hate EA for paying Dice to make the game? That’s VERY sound logic.

@roadkill I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (The game, not the year, mind you). I play Close Quarters. It’s fun.

17. AHA-Lambda

@13 – I wouldn’t really call extra weapons (seriously in a mp game like battlefield I expect far more rage about something like this!) or assignments a big differentiating factor.

@12 – yes, me too!! And it’s also why BF3 was my most disappointing game of last year :(

18. ASBI

@16 come on, I think it is obvious that EA is behind this renting servers service

what would people say if Acti did this?

19. Giskard

@18 Not a thing, since an Admin can kick anyone he pleases. Since EA only rent out the servers, you can also get one, and kick everyone and anyone you like. Does that make it EA’s fault?

It’s like saying Ford are to blame if someone crashes in their car because they drove into a wall.

20. DSB

@19 It does expose a pretty major flaw in the system though. I’ve been kicked once or twice based on petty racism.

Battlefield 3 isn’t the worst in that regard, but I think everyone’s better off with the developers making the rules for a game, and not any old idiot fronting a server or lobby.

21. ASBI

@19 hell yeah it’s EA’s fault, why do I have to pay for a server in order to have a proper online experience? isnt it enough that I paid 60$ for the game itself?

it is really weird how tolerant some gamers can get when it comes to EA :\

22. freedoms_stain

@20, BF3 has really REALLY shitty admin tools, you can’t implement a max ping tolerance, but you can block players based on location, therefore a lot of servers implement that to keep the pings down in their server by only allowing players from their own country or neighbouring countries to join.

That’s usually why people get kicked with a message like “please find a server in your own country” or “players from *wherever* are not allowed”. 99% of the time, blame Dice.

That said there are a lot of cock Admins and Dice have done a really shitty job of policing what’s allowed in a “ranked server”. A lot of tards come out with “their server, their rules”, but really there has to be a standard for running a ranked server or you may as well fuck the whole system in the toilet.

23. Lounds

I loved BF2142, make a 2143 already.

24. roni1175

I am kind of happy for EA and DICE they did a great job with this game and deserve to see successes.

25. sh4dow

@ 21

What are you talking about? “When it comes to EA”…
    What about Blizzard? Or Nintendo? And many more…
    The bullshit people put up with and STILL throw millions at companies is crazy!