Leaked Half-Life concepts are “legit,” mods insist

Thursday, 28th June 2012 12:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

OXM’s reporting that Valve community mods are backing the legitimacy of yesterday’s leaked Half-Life concepts, which showed Alyx in various states of sombre expression.

Fansite Lambda Generation grabbed the images from a Picasa album owned by Valve artist Andrea Wicklund, created in mid-March 2008. The content’s now been removed.

Volunteer mods on the Steam forums also reckon they’re real.

“I know who the source is, but I’m not going to give it away just yet for exclusivity reasons,” wrote Smash.

“Well, tis legit,” chimed in his comrade Oscar Sierra. “Awesomes. Hats off to ValveTime.net for the scoop. I wonder will Valve officially comment on these pictures?”

“These are real,” he added later. “Now keep in mind it is only concept art – but what has been posted are not fake.”

ValveTime, the original source of the pictures, said yesterday: “For the avoidance of doubt, I just want to stress that we absolutely would not release these pictures if we didn’t know for a fact they were real. They absolutely are.”

It’s unclear is the images, assuming they are real, are from Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3. Some of the file names carried the word “Xen,” suggesting play may go extra-dimensional.

1. Talkar

I don’t get what all the fuzz is about. As mentioned these concept art are from 2008. So it is very likely that there will never be a HL2:E3 and if there is going to be a HL3 it is probably not going to be anything special, based on the previous 2…

2. Patrick Garratt

It’s just “something to do with Half-Life”. If someone found a Half-Life can of Coke we’d all be writing about it.

3. Freek

Considering everybody wrote about HL3 t-shirts, the coke can seems just as much a legitimate news item, were it to ever happen.

4. TheBlackHole

The fact that I’m just not that excited about this leak shows me just how long it’s been since I thought about Half Life episode 3.

5. m2stech

I think it is now safe to assume that a HL2E3 is unlikely, but a next-gen HL3 can definitely see the light of day!

6. Len

Where can I get this Half Life Coke pls? I still b3li3ve… ;)

7. Anders

I believe that the end of HL2:E2 mentioned something about the arctic, and it seems like Alyx is dressed accordingly.

8. osric90

Half-Life Perfect Experience coming for 360 and PS3 November 2013. Includes Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, 2 Episode One, 2 Episode Two and 2 Episode Three. Episode Three on Steam and disc for PC out around September. If that doesn’t happen I will kill your god.