Dishonored E3 demos dissect the Golden Cat mission

Thursday, 28th June 2012 15:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has released two E3 gameplay demos for Dishonored in which co-creative directors Raphael Colantonio and Harvey Smith guide you through two different playthroughs of The Golden Cat brothel mission.

The first video shows a more stealthy approach to taking out the Pendleton Brothers, which are two corrupt aristocrats.

The second video shows a more direct, action-oriented approach to the assassination targets. The video also shows a fight with the Tallboys, who are patrolling the streets in the Flooded District.

How many people you kill in the game, according to developer comments, will affect the ending of the game as well as parts of the story.

Then again, if you are the pacifist type, you can go through the game and not kill anyone. Hippies.

Dishonored is slated for release on October 9 on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. mad1723

Fish mental control? TAKE MY MONEY

2. Edo

The possibilities in a way how to approach your missions in this game are truly endless.

3. Talkar

This game looks really really good! Can’t wait for it to be released :P

#Offtopic:
    I’m surprised there is no article about where the mission takes place :D

4. Gigabomber

Guy is stronger than a Jedi: why go stealth.

5. Edo

@4 Because you can.

6. Maximum Payne

I think this is one of rare game that you don’t know how much fun is it, until you try it.
    When I am looking at it, looks very blend and generic I don’t know but again I enjoy in Dark Messiah so much so I know this will be great.

7. Phoenixblight

Cool concept though it looks pretty generic and the fact you have to keep going into a menu to do what you want is not helpful for the game. Most likely will rent it though.

8. DSB

It does look a little underwhelming in terms of the actual combat, but the stealth looks brilliant. I kinda like the Bioshock palette of colors too.

@7 Nah, but Skyrim did the same thing, and I didn’t think it was that much of a bother.

9. NeoSquall

@7 Well it’s played with a controller, don’t know how you can make it alternatively.
    Since Arkane promised a different UI for the PC version I bet there will be a keyboard friendly setup.

10. Phoenixblight

@8 Owned the PC version everything was hotkeyed so not that much of going through menus to get where I want to be.

Even ignoring the menu system and assuming they do make a UI for the PC its still looks generic and only way I can rent a game is on a console.

11. DSB

@10 Well, since both are Bethesda games, maybe they’ll throw the PC a bone.

If you want to add any kind of choice in a console game, you’re gonna have to go for a menu.

12. roadkill

Really? Are you comparing console control with PC control in an FPS game? LOL!!

13. YoungZer0

@6: Agree. I don’t know what it is but the game looks incredibly generic. Really dislike how bland the environments look. And the mask looks freaking stupid.

14. Moonwalker1982

Really? I love it. I love the stealth video, it’s exactly the kind of playstyle i’d use. I guess i can agree about how it looks bland though. But gameplay wish i bet it’s gonna rock.

15. Jerykk

I’m not really seeing how this is generic at all. How many games take place in Victorian steampunk settings? How many games make both combat and stealth equally viable ways of completing the game? How many games let you complete them without killing anyone? How many games let you possess people and animals or pause time and grab projectiles out of the air or teleport?

CoD, Battlefield and Medal of Honor? Those are generic. Dishonored? Not so much. You may not like the art style or the gameplay but that doesn’t make it generic. It just means you don’t like those respective elements.

16. Phoenixblight

“Victorian steampunk”

Really? I see some elements but its not like what Take Two did with Bioshock and creating the environments.

“CoD, Battlefield and Medal of Honor? Those are generic. ”

Don’t play those games. Dishonored will be getting rented from me and that is all it will be getting.

17. Jerykk

You don’t see the clear Victorian influence in the architecture, uniforms, etc? The steampunk elements speak for themselves. I’m not really sure how this is any different from the 60′s art deco elements in Bioshock.

If you find the game generic, please be more specific. What exactly is generic about it?

18. Phoenixblight

Bioshock is more steampunk than this game. The lighting is very static and uniform through the entire game. THere is no difference all they did was change the skybox but the lighting stays the same. THe environments are very bland and generic. I can see they wanted to go steam punk but clearly couldn’t or didn’t put in the work in the environment. The game also just feels like a collection of systems while not offering anything that really makes the game fit like it was made for those elments.

I don’t need to justify myself to you. I watched the videos and it does nothing for me. So far Bathesda can only make really good TES and Fallout games but their published stuff has been sub par at best. The only game that may have had potential was Prey 2.

19. Jerykk

You’re judging the entire game’s aesthetic based on a look at one level? Maybe it’s just me but I think electric gates, electric-powered cars, dudes on giant mechanical legs wearing electric backpacks, etc, is pretty steampunkish. Maybe it’s just me.

As for game systems, I don’t really see your reasoning. The level shown was clearly designed to be open-ended and facilitate different paths to success. If these gameplay mechanics were in CoD, your logic would make more sense since CoD’s levels are completely linear and scripted and you’d never be able to really explore the possibilities that your powers offer.

And no, you don’t have to justify anything to me. However, if you’re going to present an opinion to other people, you should be able to support it. That’s how interesting discussion is born.

20. stretch215

People who pass final judgement on games they haven’t played are just….dumb? Ridiculous? Silly? Fact.

21. Phoenixblight

I have seen plenty of videos and read plenty of articles. I have enough information about the game to see if I would like it or not. The game does nothing from me from just those sources. As I said I am willing to rent it because it looks interesting enough but not something I will be buying.

22. absolutezero

Generic.

That word I don’t think it means what you think it means. Its not a cover-all term to describe something you dislike.

23. Phoenixblight

I know what it means. The game doesn’t offer anything unique and seems to be bland.

24. absolutezero

I mean this in no offensive way at all but are you an autist of some description?

25. Phoenixblight

What? I am not going to reply to such an asinine question.

26. absolutezero

Ill take that as an affirmation then.

27. Phoenixblight

You ask if I am autistic because I give an opinion on a game. Not to be offensive but are you a moron?

28. Edo

The biggest question here is why are you guys even trying to convince him,I’m sure that Bethesda will sorely miss his money but at least he is considering a rental so all is not lost………

29. YoungZer0

@18: Yeah, i think the lighting seems to be its biggest problem. It makes the empty environment look even more empty. I think it’s also the reason why it looks so lifeless and bland, there is no real contrast.

30. Edo

@29 Brace yourself…it might be on purpose.

31. YoungZer0

@30: If the purpose was to make it look bland, they definitely succeeded.

32. ManuOtaku

I will not make any judgments on demos alone anymore, Battlefield 3 show me a valuable lesson with this, i will wait for the proper reviews, that in my eyes is more important than a demo.

33. Edo

@31 Yep,you are absolutely correct.