CryEngine 3 has existed “at the quality of Unreal Engine 4″ for three years, says Crytek

Thursday, 14th June 2012 18:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek’s Cevat Yerli has said CryEngine 3 “already exists” at the quality of Unreal Engine 4, and while there are “tangible differences,” between the two engines, it’s not something people will notice when looking at still images of in-game screenshots.

Speaking in an interview with VentureBeat, Yerli said the tech existent in CE3 has been around “for three years now.”

“You can go back three years ago to the GDC videos,” he said. “What we put out there is pretty much what Unreal Engine 4 put out now. And what many others are doing now too. We haven’t really put out our latest stuff yet.

“Pretty soon you’re going to see the next iteration of CryEngine, and I’m not putting a number behind it, just the next iteration of CryEngine. Very soon. But we already said, CryEngine 3 is next-gen ready since three years ago. We stand by that. If I look at what people call next-gen technology now, it’s what we were seeing three years ago. We already had massive particle systems, we already had GPU rendering, all these things. Deferred shading. We had tessellation already since we shipped Crysis 2. We already had DX11.

“We didn’t just talk it up as tech demos, we have games that are shipped and are doing it.”

Yerli said the differences between his firm’s engine and those of his competitors, is the “fluidity of the overall experience,” and used the differences between and Android and iPhone as an example.

“It’s like you watch an Android phone and an iPhone. The iPhone, despite the fact that most Android phones can do the same things, just feels different,” he explained. “It feels more fluid, more organic on an iPhone. And similarly, with an Android, there are different limitations on an Android. One feels choppy, another feels better. Really, it’s not just about ticking off boxes next to features.

“It’s a holistic experience that has to be fluid and flawless and real. Not show. It must be real. That’s us and what CryEngine always stands for. It was always a very substantial, robust, polished experience that gamers will see. And I also think that we are dedicated to online games. When you look at our number of licensees in that space, we have more licensees than any other engine in the online space. In the console space it’s a different story. In the console space we’re definitely not leading. But I think the next time around, it’s going to be a very different picture.”

1. Ireland Michael

Here we go again…

You enjoy your shiny graphics. I’ll be over here lavishing up Terranigma.

2. DSB

Wow…. Even after it became obvious that Crysis 2 wasn’t half the game they promised, even after they fucked up the multiplayer like a bunch of amateurs, even after they let that unfinished build walk out the door, they’re still out bragging in public?

What the hell is wrong with you Crytek?

3. Takeshi

A shame you’re not using next-gen graphics for your PC titles. I’m sure people would love a Crysis 3 with next-gen graphics such as Witcher 2.

4. itsucks

Yhea… nothing on Cryengine 3 was aon the level of the samaritan. So, let the first UE4 games come out, then talk.

5. Erthazus

Actually despite all of Crytek’s previous blah blah blah.

this is true. Everything what UE 4 do CE 3.0 can.

6. DSB

@5 It’s not the message though, it’s the attitude.

If Crytek are in fact the worlds greatest company, and everybody else are so shit, then why don’t their games show it?

I don’t mind the CryEngine, I mind the arrogant pricks who sell it. Their attitude obviously isn’t creating games that are half as great, as they think they are.

7. YoungZer0

Boah, just shut the fuck up already. Does no one at Crytek talk to him about such things? I mean he is right, but he really, really needs to shut up about it.

8. roadkill

Erthazus is right. Cryengine looks and feels much better than any Unreal engine. Always did and always will.

9. Night Hunter

^
    ^
    this!

What is it with developers and their maniacal ego trips. David Cage, David Jaffe, Cevat Yerli, there are a lot of pricks going around these days …

10. Malmer

He is not wrong. It has fully dynamic global illumination, tesselation, great post processing, subsurfacescattering, realtime reflections on everything, etc. And great tools.

11. fearmonkey

Then lets see a demo that blows away the demos for Samaritan and UE4!

I have seen the engine, I have played the games, and I have watched the demos, and it looks great. But not as great as those epic demos…

12. Da Man

I don’t know how to draw a textured quad on screen but I know CryEngine inside out.

I also know multiple languages, and I’m going to have piercing.

All that and 26 y/o. impressive isn’t it?

And I really don’t care what you think.

13. Beta

This is exactly what I was talking about before, “Cryengine 3, achieved by God” I would like Crytek a bit more, if they stopped acting like the sun shines out of their every orifice, stopped with the bragging, and concentrated on making a decent game this time.

Because in my opinion, their games are a bit overrated.

14. ItsMe

@15 I agree, Crytek might make good engines but their games haven’t been that great. Far Cry might be an exception, was a great game, but the gameplay of all Crysis games wasn’t that great. The first Crysis did push the limits of PC’s, but Crysis 2 really wasn’t a technical miracle and neither will Crysis 3 I think. If they can do so much, they should show it, PC’s can handle a lot.

15. minxamo

They may be arrogant, but they also have the best engine in the world, so good for them.

Can’t imagine what they’ll add in the next Cryengine…

16. Kuwabara

let’s see the good samaritan demo but set in day time. It’s easier to make night time levels look appealing.

17. crysis3news

unreal engine was of course a legend when it got out, but it is not paying attention to so many details like the CryEngine3 which is extremely attentive to details, and the gameplay of course is smooth and fun.

besides that, Crytek will announce a free 2 play policy after finishing the Crysis 3 project, and this is not a good thing for unreal engine.