Todd Howard wants console players to experience the glory of PC mods

Wednesday, 13th June 2012 01:30 GMT By Dave Oshry

Bethesda’s head of everything Elder Scrolls wishes that the dirty console peasants could experience the glory of the PC modding community.  Hah! Silly man!

In all seriousness however, when speaking with Kotaku’s Kirk Hamilton at E3 this past week on the subject of modding, Howard remarked:

“If I ran the video game world… all consoles would be exactly the same way [as PCs].”

Perhaps the next console generation will allow for mod creation and sharing?  Who knows.  In the meantime be sure to check out all of the great Skyrim mods on the Steam Workshop and Skyrim Nexus.  Let’s hope they give way to great DLC ideas that Bethesda will implement for all Elder Scrolls gamers, be they glorious or not.

“Dawnguard”, the first of many promised Skyrim DLCs, will be available this summer.

1. TheWulf

Snrk. Oh gods… that image.

It’s an unfair image, though. Besides, I’ve met plenty of Console Master Race types, too. Sad as I am to say it. It’s not as one-sided as I used to think it was. Instead, it now reminds me of the idiocy that went back and forth in the 16-bit era.

“THE MEGA DRIVE IS BETTER!”
    “NO, THE SNES IS!”

I always rolled my eyes at that. Such nonsense.

Still, consoles not getting mods is one of the reasons I’m not so interested in them myself. I mean: See Skyrim. Srsly. I definitely and wholeheartedly support console owners getting mods, though.

2. Dave Oshry

@1 Teh image!

I’d love to see consoles get mods as well but with all this talk about the next gen being locked down even more it’s hard to be optimistic…

3. TMRNetShark

Mods are amazing ways to lengthen the amount of time you spend with a game. Examples: Skyrim/New Vegas

4. The_Red

Yahtzee’s pic = WIN.
    I just came here because of that pic. Don’t have much to say other than “yes, mods are great”.

5. Gekidami

Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 says hi, Todd. Seems that -at least on PS3- the lack of more games with mod support, is purely down to the devs not being bothered.

No point in locking yourself in a deal with the most restrictive platform on the market, shoddily porting that version to a console that could have mods, then crying about it later.

6. Christopher Jack

@5, Sorry but UT3 is the one & only example & even that wasn’t great. In game UGC is the best console gamers should expect, things may change with Sony’s approach but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

7. Gekidami

Its one more example than the 360, and it shows that PS3 games can have mods. Why does it matter if its the only example? All that shows is that others devs werent bothered to do the same.

And how wasnt it great? I quite enjoyed the free maps, extra skins & new Mutators. I dont quite see what you’re trying to get at. Mods offered new ways to play the game, whats not to like?

8. Ge0force

Microsoft doesn’t allow pc-mods on the closed Live network. They prefer payed DLC. End of discussion.

9. Joe Musashi

Hmmm

JM

10. back_up

PS3 version is better than PC version

11. Edo

This article

12. OwnedWhenStoned

I’ve got both, and no, it isn’t.

13. back_up

hmm u need to know that Epic released mods for UT
    if Bethesda allowed it would happen on PS3

14. Lordas

@12 please don’t feed the trolls. Thank You

15. OlderGamer

Exactly what Geo said, except you can replace the word Microsoft with the words console maunufacter. Infact maybe even more then that would be the games publisher. Why would anyone want to give you the freedom to download free game content whne they could make you pay to buy their game content?

It is what you get when you play in their pool, you have to wear their swimsuits.

Want a PC, buy a PC.

16. OwnedWhenStoned

I’d posted that before I realised who I was replying to.

Hadn’t seen that bot around for a while.

17. ManuOtaku

I would love a PC that didnt look like a PC, i mean without a monitor cpu, mouse and keyboard, more akin to a console that plugs to the TV, and also i wouldnt mind constant upgrading that console either, but i got the feeling we will only took the bad parts of the PC model, instead of the good ones, especially if ones look to the next gen consoles, and the direction they are taking them.

18. DSB

Doing business on consoles must be somewhat like doing business in a corrupt country. You’re always handing out money left and right to people you don’t particularly like, there’s always a catch to every deal, and it always involves money that people aren’t directly entitled to.

That’s also the biggest weakness of consoles, but I think they’re too busy pinching pennies to really notice. There are more progressive places to put your money.

Hopefully the next gen will do a bit more to show that.