Metal Gear Rising producer trash talks Ninja Gaiden 3

Monday, 4th June 2012 00:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Platinum Games producer Atsushi Inaba doesn’t want players comparing hack-and-slasher Metal Gear Rising: Revenegeance to Ninja Gaiden 3, which he doesn’t hold much affection for.

According to Gematsu‘s translation of a couple of lengthy tweets, Inaba’s comments came about in response to fan reaction to the recently released Revenegance E3 2012 trailer.

“It seems the game play portions of the trailer are quite popular. The ability to slice everything is a refreshing feature, and the playable cutscenes are well received too,” he said.

“People have been comparing it to Ninja Gaiden, but at least Ninja Gaiden 3 was a shitty game that cannot be helped. I don’t want it to be compared to that.”

It’s unusual for a developer to so openly criticise a peer’s work, but Inaba wasn’t embarrassed.

“Since I’m free to say my real opinions, I can be as frank as I want,” he said.

Ninja Gaiden 3 didn’t exactly set critics on fire with delight upon release earlier this year, despite Team Ninja’s history of success in the action genre. Platinum Games also has a strong reputation in the field and as the first team to deliver a straight up action Metal Gear title has a lot to live up to.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early 2013.

Thanks, Dark!

1. FeaturePreacher

I don’t think Inaba is trash talking as much as telling the truth. After playing the demo for NG3, it’s easy to see how important Itagaki is to that franchise.

2. Ali Hayas

I hate NG , but as far as I can see, your game is most likely gonna be shitty, mayb less shitty but still shitty.

3. osric90

He seems confident. Let’s hope he doesn’t get killed by more than 10.000.000 fans if throwing shit to the MGS flag.

4. The_Red

There is a difference between NG and NG3.
    Ninja Gaiden series (From original NES games to modern NG1 and NG2) had exceptionally deep and responsive combat along with enemies and situations that used said combat.
    NG3 on the other hand threw EVERYTHING that made NG1 and 2 great into the bin in order to make the 3rd rate Ninja Blade clone.

5. DUFFKING

Ninja Gaiden 2 was pretty shit as well to be honest. Sigma 2 fixed a reasonable amount of it but it was still a broken game mechanically.

6. Psychotext

“despite Team Ninja’s history of success in the action genre”

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that most of the original Team Ninja left with Itagaki.

7. YoungZer0

@5: I second that, Ninja Gaiden 3 was not a very good game, but for me, it was way better than Ninja Gaiden 2.

I applaud that they at least tried to deliver a proper story this time around. PlatinumGames has yet to prove that they can do something like that.

8. MadFingerz

No reason for fans to do that, this is not a MGS title. I mean, it’s not like the AC!D titles got much hate cause they deviated from the MGS formula, since that was the whole point of it. And I personally think the MGS series has grown stale so I would prefer if Kojima came up with a new universe for his next stealth action title. I think making one in the MGS universe again would restrict the number of new ideas.

Anyway, Rising looks…interesting. I haven’t played Vanquish yet but I can see the team is looking to bring the same type of fast paced action. And since people seemed to like that, I guess there are high chances it will work here too. We’ll see..

9. neon6

Every game platinum and clover have worked on was fun and Revengance will be no different.