Sony to show the “future of PlayStation Plus” at E3

Sunday, 3rd June 2012 15:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony’s confirmed it’ll show off what’s next for PlayStation Plus at E3 this week.

“Watch PlayStation’s press conference live. See the future of PlayStation Plus,” reads the message on the US PlayStation website. Nothing else is mentioned.

It has been rumoured an overhaul of the service will debut at the press conference on Monday evening US PST.

Top PS3 titles will go free along with Vita exclusive titles, DLC and the cloud service partnership set to be announced. It’s thought the frontrunner for the latter is Gaikai.

Sony’s press conference happens tomorrow evening at 6pm PST (9pm EST/2am BST/3am CEST/11am AEST). Get more details here.

1. Razor

I’m amazed it’s taken them this long to do something about it. And even then I bet the announcement will be underwhelming.

2. Gekidami

Do something about what?

3. jdfoster00

PSPLUS is great already… I don’t understand you @1??? Totally worth the money (as IGN and other sites have proven) I can’t wait to see what they announce

4. Razor

PS Plus is a seriously lacking service with no real reason for anyone to join. It’s needs a key feature(s) as a Plus-exclusive service so that people can quickly identify the need for subscribing.

The obvious one would be muli-player, but that would be a PR disaster given the stupid things that Sony said previously. Still, I guess there’s always PS4 when they can start charging for online.

5. Dragon246

@4,
    You know what is a ripoff service, its called xbl gold membership, where people get rip-offed every year and they dont complain.
    “If PS Plus is so great, Sony wouldn’t be looking to change it so as to get more subscribers, would they? ”
    Again wrong. Its heavily rumored that they are going to announce tiers of service in ps plus and unlike ms , they are trying to sweeten a already great deal.
    Just to clear your doubts, read this -
    Now tell me its worth it or not.

6. The_Deleted

I paid out for three month sub and immediately saved a tonne. Shift 2, Max Payne and countless other freebies. What I’d really like is more cloud save space.

7. Erthazus

PS Plus is crap. It adds nothing.

Free stuff that they offer is basically crap most of the times.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Ans yet I’ve gotten tonnes of great games out of it. The discounts are great too.

The cloud saves are great, and the auto-updating in a nice convenience.

And it’s cheaper than Xbox Live to boot, making it even better value for money.

I hope they add some really good new services to it. The sales and freebies can only go so far. I’m hoping if this cloud gaming rumour is true, it’ll be part of the service.

9. KAP

PSPlus is well worth the money and anyone that says other obviously hasnt got a clue.

Ive discovered many games free that I wouldnt of played otherwise, great exampleis Trine 2. absolutely free and amazing.

Thank you plus. Moreof the same please.

10. Dragon246

Erthazus- Ps Vita is useless, has only ports.
    Erthazus- PS Plus is crap. It adds nothing.

That is A LOT of sony hate. Any particular reason for that?

11. Erthazus

Ehm, i don’t hate Sony, it’s just Sony does not the best job for Ps Vita and PS Plus. That’s it.
    I’m not subscribed because there is not enough value for me and Ps Vita gets only Ports for now.
    Except for Soul Sacrifice and Assassins Creed 3: Liberation.

12. Ekona

PS Plus is worth it for me just for the overnight OS update downloads. That’s all I use it for, but then I’m a sucker for paying daft amounts of money for something that should be free anyway.

13. Gekidami

^ You only use it for the over night updates? You dont download any of the free stuff? …I have to ask; have you had your head examined recently? You may want to look into doing that.

I wouldnt pay any attention to Erthazus, btw. He’s just butt hurt.

14. Dragon246

@13,
    @11,
    You forgot Gravity Rush.

From their E3 , I REALLY WANT sony to tell us about localization plans for FF Type-0 and VC3 ( 2 of the best games on psp)

15. Ekona

@13 I’ve downloaded the odd freebie (Max Payne and Silent Hill of late), but tbh the PS3 is strictly used as a media centre for me these days. I don’t particularly like the controllers, so I do all my gaming on the 360. To my shame, I’ve never touched an Uncharted game :(

16. Mrs_Sorrows

I believe that if you don’t have plus then you’re not a real gamer. I’ve had plus for a very long time. I’ve been invited to several betas such as UC3, Killzone 3, LBP 2, exclusive playstation home beta and alot more. See, my situation is that the bluray lens in my console no longer works and I dont want to part with this console specifically though I have.another. Over the time of having my console without plus, I managed to rack up 23 games in total. With plus, I racked up 94 ps3/psn titles, 18 minis, and 23 ps1 classics. Plus is also full of surprises. One of my favorite games is Uncharted 2. I had never bought the DLC but I wanted it personally. One day, just because I had happen to just be a plus subscriber, got all of the dlc, avatars and.a dynamic theme for free. I’ve saved tons of money on various titles and the automatic update and trophy sync comes in handy when you want to spare yourself some long waiting periods. I love all of the free dynamic themes too. I’m completely satisfied and couldn’t be happier. To those of you who complain, lower your expectation. Nothing in this world is made specifically for your liking. What you see is what you get so be happy with it. If you have any rude statements to make, hit me up on psn at gothkid09. Be warned. I can be a very crazy lady lol

17. G1GAHURTZ

Are you really married?

18. OrbitMonkey

^ I’m betting on a fat middle aged pedo… Called Nigel… With a huge pokemon collection.

19. Mrs_Sorrows

Lol no im not married but I bet im younger than you.