1. Yoshi

I like how they’ve set up a lovely PC launch trailer… makes me feel all warm inside like they actually give a shit about the PC version :)

2. DSB

Obviously not enough of a shit to have it ready by the console date.

Sorry, I just didn’t think your post was whiny enough :P

Seriously though, I really really hope this is good. It’s been accused of drowning in story and exposition, Houser style, so I’m a little worried.

3. absolutezero

The first time the game stops and fight for a cut-scene is the moment I uninstall and throw my disc at the wall.

4. loki

Max Payne 3 PC fail tomorrow

5. Se_7_eN

It launches tonight in the US at 9PM on Steam.

Loki – You are stupid. Nuf said.

6. Pytox

@3 always try to troll but you are a fail troll yes

7. mad1723

I love how Loki keeps trying to stir up shit storms and still fails at it :) How is it being young and innocent? :D I’ll enjoy my Max Payne 3 on PC, thank you very much. Now go back to your cave and don’t come back :)

8. YoungZer0

Managed to go to the main menu and then the game crashed on me. Crashed every time since.

9. DSB

@YZ Have you tried validating your Steam files? I started out getting a black screen, but it turned out there were like 2 gigs of missing files.

It also requires updated drivers from what I understand.

@3 I reckon that happens for the first time about a minute and thirty seconds into it. I’m maybe 20 minutes into it, and so far it’s been 75% cutscenes.

10. absolutezero

Yep the one moment it gets going, starts picking up pace and momentum aaaaaand heres an awful Kane and Lynch cut-scene.

Thoughts :

I can understand why they changed the aiming while diving in slo-mo but it does not mean I have to like it. The default mouse sensitivity was horrid.

Its very very well optimised, and it runs very well. Looks great.

Everything that I’ve seen so far has brough to mind the image of Houser sitting watching Man on Fire and thinking “I could do that, now what IP do we own that would even slightly fit into this? Max Payne’ll do I guess.”

The gameplay is Max Payne almost to the core, the cover system actually fits in very well, at points you can still play it like classic Payne, hiding behind walls instead of sticking to them, meter high walls kinda need stuck to though.

Its challenging and rewarding in equal measure and the music is superb.

Really even the weedy looking guy that hires Max looks like the same character from Man on Fire. Really. :/

11. DSB

@10 Yeah, the vibe I’m getting so far is very much “Max Payne in GTA Land”.

It’s just so old. Nightclub, complete with anxious asskissing owner, coked up trustfund babies, and braindead sluts.

I don’t think they needed Max Payne to make this game. It’s actually starting to annoy me. If I move 5 feet, he launches into a monologue. It’s like they’re trying so hard to be authentic that they’re way off in parody-land.

12. YoungZer0

@9: I bought it from a store. No Steam. I am looking for a solution though, think i might have found it.

@11: “If I move 5 feet, he launches into a monologue.”

Well, that’s Max Payne for you. I really like this game, before i bought it for PC, i rented it for the PS3 and yeah, completed it and really, really like it.

I like the story and especially how messed up Max is, how everything he touches turns to shit, it definitely reminds me of Kane & Lynch, which – for me – is something positive.

The attention to detail is amazing, Max starts sweating, his clothes look pretty used, haircut gets messed up.

It’s definitely a lot like Man on Fire, but i think Elite Squad 1/2 served as a bigger inspiration.

I’m just glad it feels more real, nothing about super-soldier drugs or anything, just a man being messed up. Though even i gotta admit that i can’t bare the sight of cokeheads in Rockstar Games anymore. I get it, they are jumpy and annoying.