Video: Arkane on player experiences with Dishonored

Thursday, 26th April 2012 15:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Dishonored will shape a unique experience for all, the supernatural adventure’s creative directors have told VG247. Watch a video interview and get new shots inside.

Co-creative director Raf Colantonio told Sam Clay last week at an eyes-on event for the game – Arkane’s first since it was bought by Bethesda parent ZeniMax in 2010 – that while the main story will pretty much remain the same for everyone, its the “minute-to-minute story” that will promise a different experience for players.

“I think every playthrough will be a little different, yes,” said Colantonio.

“It’s not that every playthrough will have a different story, it’s that every playthrough will have its own minute-to-minute story. The overarching story is gonna be kind of the same for everybody: the different endings and different flavours now and then.

“What matters again is as a player, I feel like I own the experience. I feel like, ‘wow, the system responded to what I wanted to do and it was kinda cool’.”

His opposite number Harvey Smith, well established for his efforts on Deus Ex and Thief, echoed similar comments.

“Different people are gonna purchase the game different ways,” said Smith.

“Some people are just gonna race and bash their way through. And that works, that’s fine. And other people are going to take their time, play creatively and experiment like that. And we’re okay with both approaches.”

Dishonored releases later this year for PS3, 360 and PC. Get Sam’s chat with Smith and Colantonio and new shots below.

1. Edo

Seriously cant wait for this game!!

2. manamana

Hmmm…. in other words, nothing new on that regard. Its done by ACreed, Batman AC, Crysis2 and a ton of other games…. And all those games couldnt get me back for a second, maybe slightly different approach.

3. Charlie Sheen

meh

4. The_Red

Same here. Really interesting game.

5. manamana

Just to clear things up, not that I’m not intrigued of the game, art and gameplay mechanics … Its just, I’m careful lately on euphorias with Bethesda games and bold statements from developers trying to push their games…

6. Yoshi

A lot of influence from Half-Life 2 and City17 much though with the whole theme, environment and vehicles.

7. someguy2

@6 Well considering the art designer of Half-Life 2, Viktor Antonov, is working on it, that’s probably why it looks like it has a Half-Life 2 influence.

8. Sam Clay

@6 & @7

They mentioned that they were influenced by Half Life’s City 17 and Bioshock/System Shock.

Massive influence from Bioshock Infinite me thinks, it’s as though the city from B. Infinite has slept with City 17. A great mix mind.

9. DSB

It’s interesting, but the fact that the art direction is so familiar leaves me a bit numb.

It’s not like there isn’t enough imagination to go around for everyone.

I mean what made those styles awesome in Half-Life 2 and Bioshock Infinite is that it was original. It’s pretty easy to mess with my sense of disbelief, but it definitely kinda pulls me back a bit.

Still, anything that involves stealth and assassination has my complete attention, and if they deliver on half of the stuff they’re promising, it’s gonna be something like a coked up Thief. Except not about stealing.

10. Mace

Let’s face it, even if it turns out kind of lame for some reason, it’ll still be a pretty darn good game, as they come. But actually I think this will rock, also because they don’t have that typical videogame “blockbuster” vibe. The art design is also more interesting, than just a mixture of some other titles. There are thematic similarities with other things, but it has its own atmosphere.