Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition to use GFWL

Thursday, 12th April 2012 04:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Rage has erupted over news that the highly anticipated PC port of Dark Souls will use one of the least popular DRM solutions.

PC fans have reacted with fury and horror (or world weary resignation) to Game for Windows Live’s inclusion in Dark Souls.

A petition has been launched to remove the technology, and has gathered over 7,000 signatures in a few short hours.

While most acknowledge that the game is extremely unlikely to be published without some form of DRM, players are calling for a less obtrusive option to be considered.

Games for Windows Live is almost proverbially unpopular among PC users, drawing even more ire than recent favourite whipping boy Origin, and has gone without update from Microsoft in almost a year.

Confusion of the suite’s use and function has led to a belief that the game will not release on Steam; this is of course, total bollocks, as plenty of GFWL titles released day-and-date on Steam, including Batman: Arkham City.

Dark Souls released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last year to tremendous critical acclaim. Its old-school, hardcore approach seems ideally suited to PC tastes. The Prepare to Die Edition will sport new content and enhanced multiplayer.

1. HauntaVirus

Lame…why not just steamworks??? I don’t really mind either way, I’ll still pick it up. If they charge $60, I’ll boycott it though.

2. Takeshi

Well, that sure isn’t helping your sales, Namco Bandai. Pretty much the worst DRM you could use. Takes about a half an hour to get it working when I install Batman: Arkham Asylum.

3. loki

not help PC port fail anyway

4. Keivz

Well, I’m a GFWL fan so I hail this announcement. Might be a day 1 purchase now.

5. Judicas

@4 me too, this definitely is good news to me.

6. Erthazus

“Well, I’m a GFWL fan”

LOL. Eh. Seriously?

7. _LarZen_

Dont understand why so many dont like GFWL? I have a few games bought from Steam that need GFWL and I have never had any problems.

I just dont understand the hate? If it takes so little to irritate the pc communnity I think some need to get a grip.

8. Judicas

I’ve never had an issue either, except for maybe the first couple of months when gfwl *first* came out. I prefer gfwl much more when playing pc games as it shares the friends and achievement lists of my xbox account. Whereas pure steam games… i’ve never ever gone for an achievement because I prefer having all those on the same list.

9. sybs

@7 have you tried installing Arkham City?

Install
    Run game
    Update game
    Close game
    Install update
    Run game
    PLAY GAME

That’s why people don’t want it. It’s a primitive pain the in the ass that could be programmed to be a lot more friendly and convenient but MS don’t seem to want to do that.

EDIT: Spelling

10. SLARTIBAF1

I didn’t have any trouble with GFWL Games either. There’s just the concern, that if those GFWL-Servers get shut down, I’ll be unable to play those games, forever! And sooner or later, every server gets shutdown, especially the ones from Microsoft.

11. YoungZer0

@9: Let’s not even talk about the fact that a huge savegame bug in Arkham City could be traced back to GFWL.

The last thing someone should get with a game like Dark Souls is a savegame bug that erases your save files.

12. Ge0force

Signed the petition. Steam is so much better than crappy GFWL!

13. deadstoned

The new petition now has over 9500+ signatures keep signing.

For those of you’ve never had problems you are the fortunate few, as you can tell from the petition many have had problems.

There is also the simple matter that Steamworks>GFWL. Steam is updated frequently GFWL isnt, Steam has PC specific features people will use GFWL doesn’t. The only praise I hear for GFWL is that it hands out Gamerscore points. If you want gamerscore go play the Xbox version, don’t saddle PC Gamers with unreliable crap for the sake of a few points.

14. GrimRita

Very strange decision. GWFL is a pain in the arse. Considering millions have Steam, this would make the most sense. Maybe they couldnt reach a deal to bring the game to Steam.

I have GFWL but havent used it in ages. Picked up AOE 3 for like 10p! lol

15. cauldie

@14. It’s not a very strange decision. Considering they will be using the Xbox version as the base for the port, it’s meant to be a way for them to get the most remaining money for little costs. It’s a heck of a lot easier to have the game use all the same systems and matchmaking that the xbox version used. Instead of completely having to remove and replace it with a new api, which would both increase costs and time having to test it.

16. GwynbleiddiuM

There it goes.. like a shotgun to the head, blows everything off and no pulse. It’s the plague of PC gaming, GFWL. So restricted and so shite to use. WHY, just tell me WHY?!

17. sybs

@16 It’s probably so they can use almost the same network code as for the 360 version.

18. freedoms_stain

It’s a disappointing development for sure.

Like most others my biggest gripes with GFWL have been regarding their ridiculous patching rigmarole (honestly, what’s the point of an automatic patching system that is in fact slower than manual patching?).

On top of that they insist on a certification process that results in slower (and we’re talking a period of weeks here) patch delivery than any other delivery system.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the reasoning for this deal was that they’re paying to use MS network services for the MP, but is bundling in their crapware a necessary part of that?