SWTOR Legacy System explained in latest developer video

Thursday, 22nd March 2012 15:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioWare has released a new video discussing the Legacy System coming with Star Wars: The Old Republic Update 1.2. The Legacy System allows you to build your own family tree and link your characters on the same server together.Achievements will also open up new species options, as well as new abilities for all the characters in your Legacy. Watch below. Update 1.2 is now live on the public test server, with an exact date for release to be determined. Thanks, Talkar.

1. viralshag

Are they bringing in achievements too then? Any set date for this big patch? It’s shaping up to give me more reasons to come back and at least give it another shot.

Not like it would be the first MMO I have come back to after a break.

2. Talkar

Achievements has been in the game since beta…

3. Phoenixblight

Yes it is planned to come out in April.

4. varsas

This is pretty cool and makes me think of Phantasy Star III to a degree.

5. viralshag

@2, I think you’re being pretty generous if you’re calling the little pop-ups in the codex “achievements”.

In comparison, to say, Rift or even WoW, it’s a pretty poor show. Actually, compared to any game with achievements it’s a pretty poor show.

As they were/are now, it’s certainly nothing to write home about.

@3, Thanks. I just hope they stick to it. I’m sure you last told me it was the end of March :P

6. Talkar

I prefer the achievements as they are in SWTOR compared to how they are in the games you just mentioned. This way, you play the game because you like it, not because you want more points than the other guy. You can join Hard Mode flashpoints, where you don’t have to link to an achievement. I for example have 3 characters at lvl 50. I’m leveling my fourth. That one doesn’t have a single HM Flashpoint achievement, or operations achievement, but i still know them all, since I’ve done them on all the other 3 characters. If this was WoW, i couldn’t just join a group doing a raid, since i don’t have the achievement, even if I’ve completed it 100 times before on other characters. Just my 2 cents on the matter ;)

7. Phoenixblight

That was my theory because it wasn’t on the PTR so I figured it would be a month sorry I can’t see into the future. They announced that it was coming in April during the Guild Summit with the first trailer.