Portal 2 won the biggest award of the night at the BAFTA Game Awards among two other gongs, with Battlefield 3 being another big winner, but Bethesda super RPG The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim left empty-handed.
Portal 2 won three awards on the night: Best Story, Best Design and the big one, Best Game. Game director Josh Weier picked up all three gongs on behalf of Valve.
Battlefield 3 was another big winner, picking up three awards also: Best Audio Achievement, Best Online Multiplayer and the GAME Public Vote, ending Call of Duty’s winning streak on that front.
LittleBigPlanet 2 picked up two awards for Best Game Innovation and Best Family Game. Media Molecule co-founder Mark Healey and Sony’s Pete Smith picked up the honours.
Another multiple award winner was Batman: Arkham City. Rocksteady director Sefton Hill and writer Paul Crocker picked up Best Action game for the action title, as well as the Peformer Award on behalf of Mark Hamil as Joker.
Eidos life-president Ian Livingstone came out to honour Mojang co-founder and Minecraft creator Markus ‘Notch’ Persson, who was given the BAFTA Special Award. In his speech, he paid tribute to up and coming indies titles, including UK-made Project Zomboid from The Indie Stone.
Other winners included Shogun 2, Rayman Origins, Kinect Sports Season 2 and Peggle HD, to name a few.
But the biggest shocker of the night was the lack of awards for mammoth Bethesda RPG The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Nominated for five awards, the title walked away with no awards at the show.
Get a list of winners below.
- Best Story: Portal 2
- Best Original Music: LA Noire
- Best Audio Achievement: Battlefield 3
- Best Design: Portal 2
- Best Game Innovation: LittleBigPlanet 2
- Best Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
- Best Mobile & Handheld: Peggle HD
- The GAME Public Award: Battlefield 3
- Best Action: Batman: Arkham City
- One to Watch: Tick Tock Toys
- Best Browser-Based Game: Monster Mind
- Best Artistic Achievement: Rayman Origins
- BAFTA Special Award: Markus “Notch” Persson
- Best Sports/Fitness: Kinect Sports Season 2
- Best Online Multiplayer: Battlefield 3
- Best Debut Game: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
- Best Family Game: LittleBigPlanet 2
- Best Performer: Mark Hamill (Joker, Batman: Arkham City)
- Best Game: Portal 2
[Original story by Johnny Cullen, updates by Patrick Garratt, Dave Oshry and Johnny Cullen]
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.