A standalone Mass Effect FPS almost happened

Thursday, 15th March 2012 18:09 GMT By Dave Oshry

The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3 just went live but already there are some very interesting stories coming to light about the development of the series’ third installment.

One such story is that of Mass Effect: Team Assault, which according to Kotaku was to be its own fully functional multiplayer FPS that eventually ended up becoming the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer that we see today.

According to Keighley’s documentary, the goal was, “To create a standalone multiplayer experience in the Mass Effect universe that would mix the play styles of Unreal Tournament and Battlefield 1943 — and likely be released as a downloadable game.”

Isn’t that interesting?  Yes, yes it is.

1. ItsFade

Nope nope nope nope nope, not everything needs to be a damn FPS. I’m glad they dropped it.

2. triggerhappy

@ItsFade: “Nope nope nope nope nope, not everything needs to be a damn FPS.”

Agreed.

“I’m glad they dropped it.”

Well if it was a standalone project that didn’t interfere with any of the main entrys then i mabey would have had a look at it, but only because is was Mass Effect… not really that into FPS’s.

3. Gadzooks!

I would quite like it if they split the franchise into pure shooter and a more focussed RPG to be honest, but then I’m firmly in the ME1 > ME2/3 camp.

4. OrbitMonkey

Who’s willing to bet that this will be back in development when Bungie/Activision announce their new sci-fi fps?

5. YoungZer0

@4: Just imagine a Mass Effect Game … by DICE!

6. revolting

While I’m no fan of the “everything must be an fps” bandwagon, I’m glad they looked at it if the ME3 multiplayer is the result; just like the Assassin’s Creed multiplayer addition, I expected it to be pants and pointless, and just like AC, I’m happily proven wrong; it’s hellishly fun.

7. Fnoros

i like the gameplay in mass effect just the way it is right now, but the option to play from a first-person perspective would be cool.