John Romero has plans for a shooter

Sunday, 11th March 2012 22:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The man behind some of the genre’s most celebrated names will go back to shooters one day.

Asked on Twitter whether he’d bowed out of the shooter realm for good, John Romero said no.

“Definitely not! I have plans…” he said.

The designer immediately followed up rumours of what those plans might entail by denying the possibility of a Daikatana sequel.

Equal parts notorious and legendary, Romero was a key creative behind Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake, each of which is credited with making major advances in the first-person shooter sphere. After leaving iD Software, he co-founded a studio called Ion Storm, and released Daikatana, a much-hyped and much-delayed shooter which failed to live up to its promises.

After stints at Midway and Gazillion, Romero founded social games developer Loot Drop with much lauded colleague Brenda Brathwaite.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Colin Gallacher

I hope he doesn’t make me his bitch again.

2. HauntaVirus

But does he have plans for a haircut?

3. DuckOfDestiny

@1 I fucking hope he does. I thoroughly enjoyed the spanking that was DOOM, DOOM II and Quake.

4. Sini

he should go back to id, replace the rage designers.

5. DSB

@4 RAGE was a pretty similar disappointment to Daikatana. It would be like a dream team put together according to their ability to disappoint.

@3 That’s a Daikatana reference. He promised to make everybody his bitch, then he released a terrible game.

Maybe he meant to say that he was going to make everybody bitch at him, but I think that might be reading too much into it.

6. fearmonkey

@4 – No, Rage was a decent game, I played it all the way through. Daikatana I gave up on after awhile and didnt finish it when it was released.
    Rage wasn’t that bad, overhyped definitely, but i found it entertaining.
    The last town to the end was really disapointing, it was fun up till then.
    It’s a nice rental but not worth a buy.

I would love to see Romero redeem himself. His career after ID hasn’t been that great, and he really loves games. I would love to see him try making a doom-quake style shooter, only Serious Sam and the Painkiller series has come close.

7. DuckOfDestiny

@DSB

I know Where it is from. But the fact is, he gets all the stick for one crappy game, when he’s been part of some of the most defining video games in the 90′s.

If he can prove himself once more, I’ll gladly let him make me his bitch.

8. ManuOtaku

His hair stylist is in a dire situation, the poor guy has not money for feeding himself or his family, we need to start some fundraising to help this guy.