Quantic Dream shows incredible tech demo Kara

Wednesday, 7th March 2012 22:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

As promised this morning, Quantic Dream has aired a new tech demo, codenamed Kara, from GDC that will set up the foundations for its next project.

Quantic Dream unveils Kara tech demo at GDC. This looks absolutely incredible.

The demo introduces a recently-built android known as Kara as she’s assembled and checked before showing unusual behaviour and is dissembled. The video continues seeing her pleading for her life.

The tech is running in real time on a PlayStation 3, although isn’t directly taken from a project currently in development at the French developer. Rather, it’s a pointer in a similar vein to The Casting tech demo that showed us what effectively became Heavy Rain.

The demo was first shown as part of a GDC session hosted by Quantic co-founder David Cage.

You can watch it above right now, via Eurogamer.

Speaking with the site, Cage admitted that the demo, running from a completely new engine compared to the technology used for Heavy Rain, was finished a year ago. The new engine, according to Cage, only has 50% of its features right now.

“There are people doing more interesting things or different things, perhaps, but I feel we’re pretty alone in what we’re trying to explore,” he said, referring to whatever project the company does have coming next.

“What we’re trying to create is really interactive entertainment for an adult audience. We don’t pretend that we’re cleverer than anyone else – but there are so many games out there that provide limited entertainment, and we try to make something for a more mature audience.”

The next Quantic project will be exclusive to Sony.

We’ll have an interview with Cage going live tomorrow afternoon.

1. Lloytron

Cool! Lets hope that this time they remember to focus on gameplay rather than just the technology.

2. Cormac

That was pretty incredible I hope the new game as good voice acting as that. HR’s was terrible mostly.

and also, does david cage have a fettish for skinny white weman with short hair naked?

just kiddin’ cant wait to see more about whatever they are working on.

3. xino

cool.
    but it looks like Heavy Rain but with more fluid on movement and animation, that’s the only and major difference. Heavy Rain still looks good and amazing.

Since it’s a cutscene I wonder how the movement animation will be fluid during gameplay.

it was moving.

i like women with short hair, very nice and sexy.
    You only get those types in France, and David Cage is french so now you know why he choose that type of female character.

4. osric90

Heavy Rain was a truly complete experience. It’ll be hard to make it better for Quantic Dream… but I said that before and I was wrong so, bring it on.

5. Johnny Cullen

Umm… wow.

6. absolutezero

Oh hey that was actually really good, it felt like Cage has actually gotten himself an editor to keep him in line.

I know its more about the tech but im more interested in that story and World.

7. DSB

That was nothing short of amazing.

@6 I completely agree. I’m not much for the whole “Watch a movie – Do a quicktime event while you do” concept, but that sort of pathos is something most games sorely miss.

8. Moonwalker1982

Yes this was impressive, but is it really that much better than Heavy Rain? I highly doubt that. And i don’t know, but i just really really dislike how a otherwise pretty woman looks with short hair. Just like the lady in Heavy Rain, that hairdo was absolutely horrible, lol.

Either way, i hope it’s going to be used for more than just one game though. And as much as i enjoyed Heavy Rain, a game with a bit more gameplay would be good this time though.

9. xxJPRACERxx

Nice, but I think the main engines (Unreal, Frosbite and Cry Engine) can easily do the same, it’s just they don’t put their focus on it.

Just watch some Cry Engine facial demos, they look on par/better than this. Or Enslaved.

10. Erthazus

I’m not impressed at all. While her animations are fantastic, her lips are not exactly accurate when it comes to speaking.

Also, Cryengine 3.0 has by far more impressive demo with facial animation or Nvidia’s latest tech also is jaw dropping or Unreal Tech demo with Samaritan.

also, i’m not so sure that it is the right time to do a PS3 game for PS3. Heavy Rain was… Well, below 30 frames per second, but it was amazing at that time.

but so far, it’s cool, but i’m not impressed to be honest. It’s a good work, but it’s not a technology advanced facial animation.

11. Sini

He didn’t check fucking, the number one reason why this would ever go commercial in real life.

12. jdfoster00

@10 … You’re forgetting this is 1 year old tech… (plus it runs on ps3 unlike Unreal tech with Samaritan… For ps3.. this is amazing.

13. Colin Gallacher

JASON…JAAAASON. :D

Anyway, that was amazing. The movements looked…just natural.

14. Erthazus

@12, For PS2 something like God Of War 2 is amazing too, but i’m looking in to the future, so i’m just not impressed.

I was impressed by Heavy Rain demo for PS3 at that time (2006): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmos84ezdQ

15. Telepathic.Geometry

That was a pretty nice short movie in and of itself. Interested to see where the game goes. I really liked Heavy Rain, I had never played anything else like it when I first played it. That goes a long way with me.

16. jdfoster00

@Erthazus @10 “Kara’s the very first thing we’ve done with this brand new engine, so it’s not optimized – it’s got 50% of the features that we have right now, as Kara was done a year ago.” from David Cage

So there’s more – holy ….

(Beautiful this is too http://i.minus.com/ilG8l9DdWgsap.gif

17. PsychoboyUK

one word to describe this piece WOW!! David Cage and Quantic have done it again.

Will be great to see where they take this!! After seeing the HR “Audition” video in 2006 I had the same reaction!!! I for one am not afraid to say while watching this I choked up a bit and a tear hit my eye!

Please Quantic please make this one as good as HR!!! Thanks for the vid guys :)

18. diego-rbb-93

Its amazing, but its also a signal about PS3 Full Power already seen.

Uncharted 3 did all what it could. I´m not hoping to see again a new jump on graphics, as I think Ps3 have already arrived to the highest graphic level possible.

I feel more impresionated about the film quality of this demo rather than the graphics, which are astonishing, but not so much as the first time I saw Heavy Rain running.

19. loveaya

This is what a X360 player can never enjoy~

20. Erthazus

@18, completely agree. I’m really impressed by the emotion, but not with the technology.

Heavy Rain demo in 2006 was a jaw dropping at that time.

21. KAP

My god!
    That was amazing, truly astounding. Reminded me of the intro scene to Ghost in the Shell.
    I love QD because they try to do something not many other developers try to do.
    I appreciate them for that. I’d take a Heavy Rain over a COD or Halo any day of the week.
    David Cage, you the man!

22. Night Hunter

Aside from the fact that I hate David Cage because he is a self absorbed and condescending bastard this really is impressive. Maybe not on the technical side but I would really like to see this as a real game, it’s high time we let real actors do the work ;)

23. LOLshock94

That was actually pretty terrible… and cage was the guy who said he had better tech then the la noire devs…the cheek.

24. absolutezero

To be fair that looks a fuckload better than the creepy dead eye’d LA Noire freakshow.

Oh god facial ticks so bad because im lying, I actually can’t control my face.

25. LOLshock94

Seems like cage is trying to attract the WOW community by having a robot woman who cleans and has sex….BA DUM TSS

26. LOLshock94

P.S cage is so original he didn’t copy the script on irobot. guy cant write for shizzles

27. No_PUDding

If Heavy Rain had more conventional 3rd person character control mechanics, I’d have loved it. Maybe an aiming control, for guns or torchlights.

There was something incredibly tactile and satisfying about the reciprocity the game demonstrates regarding even the most minor actions.

Everything is acknowledged, and everything has an impact. It’s time consuming to write I imagine, but it for me was so engaging it allowed me to see past the middling-to-awful story, down-right crap voice acting, clunky animation and strange sci-fi directions.

Hopefully the next game is sci-fi upfront, so nothing can be questioned in that regard.

28. TD_Monstrous69

Wow…just..wow…my jaw dropped about maybe a minute into the demo. I loved Heavy Rain, and I look forward to whatever it is they’re making next, especially with the very impressive tech on display here.

29. HauntaVirus

I hope a new game from them is coming this year, they seem to have longer dev cycles though so most likely next year.

30. speedxl01

Impressive!

And he said the demo is a year old! I’m really waiting for their next game, Heavy Rain was awesome.

31. harmundo

PC’s are more powerful than this. Im not impressed at all. Its good for a PS3 but “nothing special” for PC.

32. Joe Musashi

Personally, I can’t see anything on a technical level that this footage is showing off that didn’t seem possible in Heavy Rain. Which is fine by me – I thought the level of detail (particularly in the environments) was outstanding in Heavy Rain.

Where this does impress me is the level of humanity that comes across. Which I guess is also the message in this short story. The writing, acting and technical execution combine to really good effect.

That combination really raised Heavy Rain above being merely a QTE game (with shockingly bad movement controls) to a compelling interactive experience that left a very strong lasting impression.

Great stuff. Good to know there’s developers out there that are more adventurous and mature than just trying to render an M-15 at the bottom of the screen.

JM

33. Old MacDonald

I didn’t quite understand what was so incredible about this, PS3 or not. It’s just a tech demo, and it doesn’t really show anything we haven’t already seen in Heavy Rain or LA Noire. It’s more refined maybe.

34. ManuOtaku

I hope this new game is more like indigo prohecy and/or omikron rather than heavy rain, dont get me wrong i did like heavy rain, especially the story , but i want more traditional gameplay input on their next game, like their former,previous mentioned games,at least a mixture between the three games, perhaps.

35. The_Red

Mind… Blown… dead. Fuck me, that was unexpected. I don’t care about the graphics or the game, it was a really sweet short movie.

36. HeavyD-Love

I’ll put it simply…

Whatever game Quantic Dream releases next is going to get my money.

37. revolting

Emotionally, that was very stirring, and the setting seems really interesting, too. However, as others have pointed out, the Heavy Rain tech demo was also amazing, far more so than the finished product turned out to be. This Kara thing is definitely intriguing, and no doubt I’ll pick it up and be wowed by it, but I just hope that this time the game play is a bit more involving than “waggle left stick to pee, press x to flush.”