Paradox CEO: GAME troubles are “karma” for “bullying people around”

Wednesday, 7th March 2012 08:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The retailer has seen it go through stock trouble and speculation on its future recently, but got a bit of good news yesterday in an MCV report that suggested it took nearly half of all launch sales of PlayStation Vita in the UK.

But Wester reckons the current woes are karmic retribution, with the only out being a buyout from US retailer GameStop.

“GAME has basically been bullying people around and now it comes back to bite them on the ass,” Wester said to GamesIndustry International at GDC.

“It’s been abusing their situation in the UK for a long time but it always come back to you. Look at EA and Nintendo, they’re not even willing to help. They will take the hit just to get rid of GAME and start over.

“One of the biggest problems is they haven’t behaved nicely to other people, so it’s karma.”

Wester also said that GAME is one of many outlets that haven’t acknowledged new retail experiences.

“Why didn’t XBLA and PSN become like the App Store when they came out four year’s before? It’s because they don’t have the same openness to new content, they have multiple filters before you’re in.

“No truly independent developers can make it through to XBLA. You can call yourself indie but you need funding, you need technology support. At Paradox we have problems getting onto XBLA with the money we have.”

“On the App Store you end up with a lot of crap, but you’re not forced to buy it. The customer decides. Angry Birds would never have made it to XBLA, Minecraft would never have made it to XBLA. There are so many games that are million sellers that would never have made it to XBLA.”

1. Johnny Cullen

Wow. That’s stunning… and quite ignorant.

2. jnms

I don’t think it’s ignorant at all Johnny. I think he is right in what he says. The entire media industry (not just the games industry) is at the beginning of a revolution of sorts.

You have those following the old paradigm: Publishers and Retailers believe they should have full control over who access their services and how it is done. They control the flow of information and products, and fully dictate pricing and availability.

Then there are those following a new paradigm: They create an open system that anyone can use. People are able to distribute their own content either for free or at a minimal fee. These systems are based on a relative unrestricted flow of products and information.

The first is based on old and outdated ideas that no longer work very well in the modern world. The 2nd is the future and is a method that is growing very, very fast.

So yes, GAME is in the shit because they insisted on using an old outdated distribution method that is based on ideology at least a few hundred years old.

Call it ignorance if you want…but the new paradigm is the future for sure. And it’s one that I embrace, after all it is how I make my own living and distribute my own products.

3. DiodeX

One of the things Game/station used to do was force you into buy console bundles, the trouble you would have just buying a console was incredible!
    One of the many reasons I barely buy from them(and I live in the sticks!), but I hope they don’t go under as a friend of mine is a manger in a store!

4. G1GAHURTZ

HAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Who’s sorry now, GAME?

Who’s. Sorry. Now!?

MWAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!

*rubs hands like Gargamel*

5. viralshag

I will miss GAME if they shut down. I don’t really have anything against them. They’ve hooked me up with all sorts over the years.

6. sb319

The last thing XBLA or PSN needs is Paradox’s tatty shovelware, thanks.

7. Old MacDonald

“Paradox Interactive CEO Fredrick Wester has said the ongoing troubles of UK retailer GAME is “karma” for “bullying” its customers around.”

“Wow. That’s stunning… and quite ignorant.”

I don’t think he is talking about customers. I think he’s talking about publishers, and I’m pretty sure he’s got personal experiences to back it up with.

Edit: Also noticing a few interesting comments in the EG thread: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-publisher-paradox-game-was-a-bully-this-is-karma

Check the post by MiY4MOTO for instance.

8. Gheritt White

GameStop *will* swoop in and buy out GAME… but not until the last minute, when they can purchase them for a song.