2K Marin staff working on second major project

Sunday, 29th January 2012 21:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

XCOM isn’t enough for the team at 2K Marin; the busy little bees are cooking up a brand new IP.

Superannuation turned up a reference to the enigmatic project on the resume of 2K Marin co-founder Hogarth de la Plante.

The unannounced title, for which de la Plante serves as art director, is listed higher than his role as management and technical consultant for XCOM, 2K Marin’s publicly acknowledged project.

The two projects seems to have been in simultaneous development for some time, and the new title has apparently gone into pre-production.

De la Plante seems to be a key creative figure in the project, making mention of his efforts at “inventing a new IP, pitching it to publishing and generating pre-production creative materials with our director team”.

De la Plante’s past roles included level architect on BioShock and lead environment artist on BioShock 2.

2K Marin has headquarters in the US and Australia, and prior to working on XCOM, served as something of an Irrational Games off-shoot. XCOM is expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 this year.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. LOLshock94

bioshock infinte 2 KKKCOMMMMMMMMMMMM

2. Edo

Slow day is it…

3. Maximum Payne

@1 Hehe true.

4. Gizkata

Stop being silly. We all know it’s System Shock 3.

5. Phoenixblight

Its Sunday so yes everything is slow for game news.

6. Maxey

As long as they stay away from Bioshock or System Shock, I’m all for it.

7. Phoenixblight

Well then I am sorry to tell you but they are also doing work for Infinite under Levine’s leadership.

8. Erthazus

@4, System Shock 3 for current gen is impossible. Because there will be a lot of whiners (including me) who will say that they consolized System Shock game because it was freakin awesome at that time and it was also hard to master the mechanics.

Bioshock Infinite looks great. It’s the only FPS game that i want right now from all that announced so far (well maybe DUST 514 and Darkness II)

9. Maxey

Can you back that up with some concrete, hard hitting proof?

Your idiocy knows no bounds. You’re already preemptively bashing a game that does not even exist on the grounds that, according to you and your imaginary idiot friends, that it will be consolized and dumbed down. This is why I don’t subscribe to preconceived notions when it comes to new games. I’ll just wait until I’ve seen some trailers and/or played them before I make a definitive judgement.

10. Fin

Ur, bro that’s not how this works. If you don’t bash a game before you’ve played it, then you shouldn’t be commenting here. Erth is such a pro at commenting, he even complains and bitches about games that don’t exist, as you point out.
    Wait to judge something until you’ve played it??? We don’t take too kindly to logic ’round here.

11. Maxey

Sorry, I’ll try to hit my head with a sledgehammer a few times before posting here again. Maybe that way I can achieve the mental deficiency I need to properly post at Erth’s level of intelligence.

12. Erthazus

@9, sorry, Bro, where i bashed the game?

I said that Bioshock: Infinite looks awesome and that’s the only FPS game i’m looking forward to this year.

Reading problem?

I said that system Shock 3 is not possible on the current gen, unless Ken and his team will make some serious cuts.

13. Maxey

Not possible how? They could make a game that has a streamlined interface for consoles but the gameplay can still be as hardcore as it was before. Look at the new Deus Ex. It was the best possible adaptation of a classic hardcore FPS game to the the new reality of game design without sacrificing what made the original game so good and unique.

Bioshock is also a good example of how you can translate classic hardcore FPS principles into a modern game environment without sacrificing much of what makes the classic core game design unique and engaging.

You’re a self-deluded PC elitist who refuses to accept anyone’s opinion but your own.

You make loyal PC gamers like myself look bad.

14. ManuOtaku

Whatever it is, it will be good, i like this news i will wait with great anticipation what game this is it?

15. Maxey

“sorry, Bro, where i bashed the game?”

First of all, I’m not your bro.

Second of all, I don’t have a reading problem. You, however, have memory problems:

“System Shock 3 for current gen is impossible. Because there will be a lot of whiners (including me) who will say that they consolized System Shock game because it was freakin awesome at that time and it was also hard to master the mechanics.”

To me this reads as preemptively bashing a game that does not even exist based on your own pre-conceived notions.

Now, I don’t know what EA wants to do with the System Shock franchise, if anything at all, but that doesn’t mean I should be already writing my own pre-conceived opinion on a game that I don’t even know if it will be done at all.

In an ideal world, however, Irrational would get back the rights to that IP and make an awesome 3rd game, but I think they found a pretty sweet spot with Bioshock, so they’re already where they want.

16. YoungZer0

@12: You said: “hardcore days for FPS games are over, it’s time for cut scenes and other crap in which surprisingly Ken Levine and his team does a great job.”

So you basically said that Ken and his team do an amazing job at cutscenes and crap.

That’s probably the best compliment you can give, ain’t it?

17. Erthazus

@16, that also means that he did a great job with cinematic gameplay. I’m ok with this.
    but hardcore stuff that Ken done in the past are over.

but it would be really cool if Levine could make another SS game with all the mechanics from his past games.

@16, again, reading problems, i didn’t bashed the game, i said that it is impossible to make a game like System Shock this gen so he (Ken) is probably working on SOMETHING Else. The key word here is “something else” that is suitable for current market.

That’s it.

18. Maxey

You said you would WHINE about it alongside your imaginary friends. Once again, memory problems.

And he’s already working on something else. It’s called Bioshock Infinite and it will be a hardcore FPS built on modern FPS design principles, which makes it the next best thing after a modern System Shock remake or sequel.

19. LOLshock94

@18 hahahahaahahaha the guys an idiot who leaches on his parents money

20. Maxey

I may not post a lot but I do read this site daily and this Erthazus guy sure knows how to post misspelled ignorant bullshit on a regular basis.

He’s completely oblivious of how totally wrong he usually is.

21. Fin

@Erth

sigh

“Because there will be a lot of whiners (including me) who will say that they consolized System Shock game”

Again, English not being your first language, you might have missed this. In your little head, you equate “consolized” with “bad”. When you say a game is “bad”, you’re essentially “bashing” it. Hence, you were “bashing” a non-existent game, System Shock 3.