Sony backtracks on Vita accounts, now one account per system

Thursday, 15th December 2011 23:57 GMT By Andrew Groen

Last month Sony had said users would be able to switch out memory cards in order to use multiple accounts on their Vita console. Apparently that’s not the case anymore, because they’re now saying there will be only one account per system, requiring a factory reset to switch.

“Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita,” Sony said to Wired on Dec 8. “So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.”

Now they’re changing their tune a bit. “[The] PSN account is tied to the hardware and the memory card, not just the card, which means that if a second person is using your Vita, it’s not just a case of switching out memory cards, it’s clearing out all of your saved data on the Vita itself when you do the factory reset,” Sony told Wired today.

Game Informer followed up and was told, “Like PSP, PS Vita is intended to be played by only one user as a personal portable entertainment system. As such, the spec is set so that only one PSN account will be connected to one PS Vita hardware.”

Via Wired.

1. Erthazus

Sony is looking for a pirates with this stuff, again.

2. Ireland Michael

So there’s absolutely no option to simply disconnect the profile and add a new one without wiping all your data?

I find that seriously hard to believe. There has to be some sort of miscommunication going on here.

3. ASBI

why would any1 use multiple accounts anyway ?

4. Kaufer

This a completely unnecessary thing to do just to switch accounts. And what save data are we talking about here? Save settings or GAME SAVE data? Since, the Vita doesn’t have onboard storage for gamesaves i guess its setting right?

5. FeaturePreacher

@3 Downloadable only games from Japan.

6. mojo

well that effectivly renders the machine to a retail only device for german customers if they dont dramaticaly ramp up the german store.
    literaly everyone here has at least one foreign psn account (mostly US or UK accounts) because you cant buy 18+ content from the german store.
    this is a real bummer for germans interested in vita.
    not a pseudo-bummer like no crossgamechat on ps3, much more a violent fuck in the ass.

this should also answer the question raised in #3
    that and the sony politic of clusterfucking their digital offerings all over the world and not offering one consistent store to all their users.

i know of ppl having 6, 7 or even more accounts (including hongkong, malaysia, japan, uk, us, germany, austria and whatnot) just to be able to buy the games they want..

7. KrazyKraut

Yep…so I will have to stick with my US account on the Vita. Or..maybe wait till they re-think their decision. Like Mojo said…I only used my German account for some DLC-Voucher-Codes I had. And Malicious or some nice PS1 Classics from the Japanese store were exclusive. So, as long as they keep the region-free I’ll keep my pre-order. But you never know…

I think they just want to handle a healthy revenue. I use my UK account for getting the most games cheap…because they are more expansive in the German store.

8. mojo

sticking with us account is basicaly an option.
    but you know as good as me, that trophies are a key feature these days wether one likes it or not. and i suggest that noone is interested in basicaly scraping every single trophy theyve earned so far.

either make accounts swappable through regions or make trophies transferable or make the store actualy usable or whatever, just do something.
    in this state its just not acceptable at all.

9. silkvg247

Hah, what the fuck? :)

I was going to get one of these, possibly.. eventually. Maybe.

But my GF and I share consoles. We have two accounts on the PSP and the PS3.

I’m not about to buy two Vita’s.. in fact.. let’s see.. oh I know! I’ll buy NONE. Well played Sony. *rolleyes*.

10. WFMMK

@9 What a loss for Sony. They’ll be bankrupt within the week thanks to you man.

11. Gurdil

@10 The point is many people buy their consoles and share it with their brother/sister/son/daughter/parent/dog/extraterrestrial pet so many potential consumers might be put off by this business decision (and I think silk is a woman…)

12. NeoSquall

I think this issue is just a huge mess mounted by the wired people that don’t understand much about videogames and the console mechanism, plus a number of possibly misleading remarks by different Sony representatives (I’d like to know who are they), who don’t seem to understand much of their own portable console.

PS3 (and probably PSVita) game save data is a big bunch of data that can’t be handled by the minimal internal memory of PSVita, so it will most probably be stored inside the memory cards, like it already happens in the PSP. The data you’re going to delete from the Vita when you want to change accounts will most probably be PSN stuff like friends list referrals and Trophy list, nothing more, nothing less.
    I think that even other data like Near history and such will be stored inside the memory card and not on the internal memory.

13. Psychotext

“They’ll be bankrupt within the week thanks to you man.”

They seem to be managing that quite well without silk’s help.

14. ManuOtaku

I dont mind this at all i only use one account on my ps3, and i think it will be the same if i get the vita, but i know this is going to affect some consumers that use multiple accounts for different purposes, i feel your pain, now iam beginning to understand why those cards are so expensive to begin with

15. OlderGamer

“@10 The point is many people buy their consoles and share it with their brother/sister/son/daughter/parent/dog/extraterrestrial pet so many potential consumers might be put off by this business decision ..”

Exactly.

I have the same type of problem with DLC on xbox. Companies assume that you only have one system and one person playing it. I have four xboxs in my house(two kids, mine, and wifes). If I want to use a game in my bedroom and that game has DLC, I have to bring my physical system into the bedroom, rather then just pop the game disc into my wifes system(which is normaly set up in there), or I could alwys buy the dlc a second time. Gets worse if it is a game that my kids want to play as well. Should I have to buy the same dlc three and four times?

There has to be ways of making thing more consumer/user friendly. I am sure of it. Also am sure that doing so will cut into multple sales of same damn content.

As for Vita, Sonys solution: buy a second(or third) system. MSs fix, buy the DLC for each system/account you intend to use it with. It would be like music companies trying to charge you for each individual listen to a song. Or for every device you put that song onto. If I buy a song on iTunes, I want to be able to listen to it on my PC, my ipod, and burn a copy for the car and even for the home CD player. After all I bought the song didn’t I? Why should I have to pay each and every time I want to listen to it on a different player?

So long as we buy a copy of the game, should it matter on what system or what account we play the thing on? Seems to me its yet another wild ass swing at piracy that ends up hurting the paying user base.

16. Gurdil

@OG Regarding your Xbox problem, you can always bring your account on your wife’s system (or one of your kids’), via USB or XBL, and redownload the piece of DLC for free. I know it’s a huge pain in the ass but it can sometimes help. Then again, the account-lock is a problem in and of itself. I mean when my brother wants to try something, he has to connect on my Xbox (that’s normal) with my account (not that normal…) so that he can play with the DLC, he can’t even use his account on my console. I understand this decision from a business point of view but as a gamer it really is a pain.
    And as you say, this endless battle against piracy hurts us, the paying user base. The worst is this doesn’t even remotely bothers those who pirate their games since, you know, they don’t give a rat’s ass about their accounts…
    Edit: I read your comment again… Are DLCs now account- AND system-locked?!? oO

17. OlderGamer

Depends on the situation Gurdil. My EA Sports DLC (NCAA Football 12) is. But some DLC isn’t. Plus, having the Family gold plan, I can recover a kids profile to my system, buy dlc/game/content with their profile, and then recover my own profile, and use that same content. They can tehn recover their profile to their system, and redownload the content at no extra cost. However, see how crazy this can get lol, if I don’t have an internet connection, I can not use the downloaded stuff on my profile on my system. the reason is that the liscencing doesn’t transfer. So long as I am conected online it stays working, kind of strange.

And your right on using a USB, however, one of my sons has a friend that nearly lives here it seems. And he brings his system, and uses USB as he has no internal HDD. He has encountered several issues where he can’t use content, has profile recovery problems, and even can’t stay connected in party chat and games.

All of it, I figure, is because MS is worried about people trading downloaded content. I mean MS might go under if a family traded purchased DLC right? Crazy.

18. Gurdil

Waw the situation’s even crazier than I thought! Thanks for the info OlderGamer

19. back_up

good only one account is needed
    but hackers are crying

20. SUSIDER98

Ok…This is gonna be problem since I share my consoles with my siblings.
    But can we buy games through another PSN account from the PS3 and copy it to the PS Vita ?