DiRT Showdown launching on PS3, 360, PC in May

Monday, 12th December 2011 14:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Codemasters has announced DiRT Showdown, an arcady-type iteration of the rally series that will focus on aspects such as gymkhana, destruction derby and more. Three types of event make up Showdown: standard racing, stunt racing and destruction. As well as being playable alone, there’s split-screen and online for up to eight players. The release of Showdown will support a fourth DiRT iteration in the future. There’s a hands-on report over at GameSpot. The first trailer is below.

1. BULArmy

I really don’t know what is the obsession of Codemaster with Dirt. They must stop milking Dirt and make GRiD 2 as as possible, because I think it much better than Dirt and much more mainstream type of racing simulation is offered there.

2. TheBlackHole

Firstly, who says they’re NOT making GRID? They do have multiple dev studios for their racing franchises.

Secondly, if you think ‘simulation’ is more mainstream than arcade racing, then…

3. pukem0n

also the arcade version of Dirt is Dirt

4. Fin

They’re probably making more Dirt cos it sells well, because it’s awesome?
    Just a guess.

5. Old MacDonald

I was hoping their next rally game would be more like their F1-games. So this is exactly the opposite of what I wanted, really.

Oh well.

6. Quasar

colin must be so angry in his tomb :))

7. TheBlackHole

Why? It’s not named after him anymore.

8. DSB

As much as I (used to) love the Codies racing games, they’re really showing themselves as the budget player among the big developers.

Dirt 3 was alright, but it’s lacking in a lot of different ways. Just look at the way your cockpit shakes when you’re actually driving the race, and then look at the car in the replay. The suspension is barely active, and your driver is cool as a cucumber.

It just feels extremely confused to me. It’s like they want to be the dudebro X-games racing game, but they also want to appeal to real rally fans, with the retro cars. I’m not saying you can’t like both, but having grown up with rally as my preferred motorsport, I really don’t like some guy talking like a 15 year old pothead doing the narration.

I’d much rather have some slurring, dodgy finnish person I’ve never heard of. Much more authentic!

@1 GRiD is not a racing simulator, neither is Dirt. That’s why they’re fun, as opposed to certain other games.

9. TheBlackHole

“As much as I (used to) love the Codies racing games, they’re really showing themselves as the budget player among the big developers”

I don’t know. Their Meta for racing titles is mid-high 80′s. That’s not bad when you consider the competition.

10. OwningXylophone

@DSB
    “It’s like they want to be the dudebro X-games racing game”

That would be because they lost the WRC license, so they either went with the less well known IRC or the Ken Block/Travis Pastrana style X-games approach. That said the commentary grates on me too, but the games are just too much fun for me to really care.

11. DSB

@10 To me that’s pretty much a point against them. If your answer to losing a license is “Get a new one” then you’re really not the guy with the big ideas.

Sure, conservatively, it’s the “only” option, but while the WRC owns the license to the only world tour that matters, I don’t think they own the drivers, and I know for a fact that they don’t own the sport itself.

Less “official” doesn’t have to mean “less fun”, and nothing is stopping them from going out and finding drivers to support their game, and quite arguably the best way to bring the WRC crawling back on their knees would not be to abandon them for a completely different style, but rather to make a rally game that they’ll be kicking themselves for not being a part of.

GRiD, as far as I could tell only had the Le Mans license, and in my opinion that was the weakest part of the game.

Maybe I’m too enthusiastic about games and the thrill of rally, though.

@9 That changes nothing about their production values, or how old the EGO engine looks these days. It’s still pretty on the outside, for sure, but it has very little in the way of details and, critically, physics.

I’m not the only grumpy person saying so either. That goes for all their recent titles using the engine, like Operation Flashpoint or the F1 series, there’s a lot of places where the lack of polish really shines through.

They’ll be pitting that against EAs assembly line of Need for Speed games in nearly all categories of racing, and I don’t think it would hurt them to up their game a bit.

12. Quasar