Vita PSN IDs locked to memory cards, not consoles

Friday, 9th December 2011 01:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has clarified the troublesome question of whether the Vita can support multiple PlayStation Network accounts with an affirmative.

“Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita,” Sony’s Crystal MacKenzie told Wired.

Because of this, switching between users on the Vita is just a matter of swapping to another memory card associated with a different PSN ID.

Thankfully, you can also attach more than one memory card to the same PSN ID – so you don’t have to worry about running out of room.

“If you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset,” MacKenzie added, explaining why a translated Japanese FAQ on the topic suggesteda be factory reset would be required when switching between PNS accounts.

Vita utilises a proprietary memory card format which range in size from 4GB to 32GB, with larger formats expected later on. US pricing starts at $29.99 for 4GB and ends at $119.99 for the largest card.

The possibility of multiple PSN accounts for the Vita is of great interest to those hoping to digitally “import” games from other territories’ PlayStation Stores, or planning to share one console between multiple users.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Lounds

This doesn’t bother me but why are they doing this?

2. Ashwin

“Memocy” cards.

LOL!

3. Christopher Jack

@1, To force multiple ppl who use the same console to purchase a memory card each. May or many not be the true reason, I don’t really give a fuck.

4. Ireland Michael

This is a really good thing, in my opinion. Not because of needing multiple memory sticks, but because it means I can use content from my different profiles. Really glad to know this.

If it’s anything like memory stick duo, someone will create a fairly simple micro SD adapter pretty much as soon as its out anyway. Mine cost about a fiver. Never had to use one of the Sony branded cards in my PSP, ever.

5. Brenna Hillier

@2 dammit, i thought I’d fixed that…

6. Christopher Jack

@4, You probably won’t save much with an adapter for SD cards. Chances are that Sony’s proprietary storage format would have a pretty high speed & current high speed SD cards aren’t much cheaper.

7. BloodyJoe

What about the internal 16GB memory of the vita? Is that locked to one account or can it be used for all of my PSN IDs? See I wan’t to download titles from different PSN stores but play them on my main account for the trophies!

8. Christopher Jack

@7, No internal memory, awful decision IMO, taking Nintendo’s route by having everything on the game itself is a bad idea, should have the option of having it on either the game or the hard drive.

9. Ireland Michael

@6 I’ve been buying perfectly usable 16GB micro SD cards for about £25 for a while. I know 32GB ones that go for about $60.

So yeah, quite the saving.