Analyst: Nintendo “left for dead” by investors but won’t “roll over and die”

Thursday, 8th December 2011 22:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

One analyst believes Shigeru Miyamoto’s departure from Nintendo wouldn’t damage the company, and has dismissed the fears of fleeing investors.

Analyst Asif Khan of Panoptic Management Consultants told IndustryGamers that Miyamoto’s retirement would have little impact on the company’s value.

“It would be a bigger story if Miyamoto left to work for Microsoft. The man is 59 years old, and eventually all people retire and/or die. The mark he has left on the video gaming industry will not disappear overnight,” he said.

“Nintendo has international brands and a playbook for how to exploit them; if you think that one man is responsible for their success you are very mistaken. Steve Jobs put together a great team to achieve the success we have seen at Apple, and I have no doubt that Miyamoto and Iwata have done the same.”

Nintendo’s stock dipped 2% when a translated interview suggested he was partially retiring, and has seen several waves of dumped investment this year in the wake of disappointing 3DS sales and a confusing Wii U debut.

“Nintendo has been left for dead by investors this year [but it] has been around since 1889, and I don’t think they plan on rolling over and dying even if that is the consensus in investing and media circles,” Khan scoffed.

1. Ashwin

Weird article. The headline suggests bad things for Nintendo. The content, however, is all about how “everything is okay, don’t worry about it, the company is strong.”

Hmm.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 VG247 using needlessly sensationalist headlines? SAY IT ISN’T SO!

3. LOLshock94

“eventually all people retire and/or die” harsh as fuck

4. DSB

What I wonder is how none of the games sites are looking at THQ at the moment. They seem utterly doomed in reality, as opposed to Nintendo. I’d actually like to hear why Pat isn’t on it with a team as sharp as this one.

It can’t possibly get any worse for that company. Why isn’t anyone asking questions?

Either I’m missing something here or THQ will be gone sooner rather than later. It looks to me like their only hope is a buyout at this point. I’d really like a proper reporter to look into it, because I have no idea how they are still in operation.

I mean how can they possibly get closer to selling for absolutely nothing? Is there some kind of rich tycoon in the background who is throwing endless ammounts of money to cover their losses? How does it happen?

5. AHA-Lambda

@4 – this. I heard on neogaf that their current market cap is smaller than some Take Two game budgets :-/