Quick Quotes – Pachter pooh-poohs Xbox 720 rumours

Tuesday, 22nd November 2011 05:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

“Those rumors are silly. Microsoft is still selling a ton of Xbox 360s, and they won’t replace the existing one until sales begin to slow. I think the rumors are based upon leaks about modifying the current Xbox 360 to allow it to operate Windows 8. I fully expect a new model of Xbox 360 by holiday 2012, but don’t think we see a new console altogether from Microsoft until 2014.”

– Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, speaking to IndustryGamers.

1. burrsalem

Not a big fan of Pachter. He’s blatantly wrong a lot, but in this case I pretty much agree. Holiday 2013 would be the absolute earliest I could see it if they want to get the jump on Sony again, but 2014 seems to make the most sense.

I would add that any big ticket next-gen system released before 2014 will have a hard time getting an early install base in my opinion with the current gen truly thriving and a sense among consumers of diminishing returns on new tech. That’s fine for Microsoft if they want to be quick out of the gate, piggyback 360 more than they did with the original and build a bit more slowly. Publishers want that install base though if they’re going to be investing in big releases. Nothing suffocates a system early like lack of quality software.

2. TheBlackHole

Not a fan of Pach Attack, but in this case I think he’s bang on the money.

3. Freek

Nobody is saying there will be a new Xbox next year, the rumours are pointing to 2014 aswell.
    And to make a launch like that happen, developers will already need to be making those games, as it takes atleast 2 years to make anything half decent from scratch.

He’s not debunking anything, he’s agreeing with the rumors.

4. Blerk

Pach says no? Rumours confirmed!

5. drewbles82

With so many people out of work, people struggling to pay bills, even if they had a new console ready, they would probably hold off till things improved.
    I cant even afford a new game, i have to wait months for it to be cheaper and i know a lot of others do.
    So a lot of people would hold off buying a new console.

6. Gheritt White

Xmas 2012: Wii U
    Xmas 2013: Xbox Next
    Easter 2014: PS4

BLATANTLY

7. Psychotext

People here really think Microsoft is going to release some sort of Windows 8 xbox before the next gen xbox? Just how exactly would that work? Are you thinking it would end up being some sort of seriously underpowered PC that could play 360 games?

Not a chance in hell. Pachter has been off base ever since he so desperately started clinging to the Wii HD stuff.

8. Blerk

@5, people don’t seem to be having much trouble buying iThings.

9. Erthazus

We need new consoles. Now. who don’;t want new consoles can play on the 360 or PS3.
    enough already. These two machines are outdated since 2009-2010

@5Thats why Activision break records with sales every year. thats why people buy iphones and ipads for 599$ every year.

10. Freek

People do not buy new phones or ipads each year, at most every two years and it’s a completly different market with a completly different method of sales that are heavely subscription based and heavely subsidized by the providers.
    If you needed to pay the full price of the phone up front each year, you would not see people trading up so often.
    And the software you run on it does not cost 60 dollars either.

11. Christopher Jack

@8, It’s called excess, too many people are living far too much out of their needs. Now I’m not saying that people aren’t allowed to treat themselves, but spending $200-300 & then signing yourself up to a $50 per month plan then leaving yourself short on groceries is ridiculous but I see far too many people doing it.

Even if they did want a smartphone, there’s plenty of alternatives that are also pretty great & you can get for free upfront on a much cheaper plan.

I myself am finally switching over to the darkside, to WP7- I am getting the Omnia 7 but that doesn’t cost me anything upfront & will only cost $20 per month including more than enough credit for calls & messages, unfortunately Australia is behind in data plans so I won’t even bother with 3G in the short term.

12. Maximum Payne

@10 Well Xbox is mostly sold in USA (correct me if I am wrong) so gaming console to be cheaper twice as much new Iphone…

13. xxJPRACERxx

Patcher can’t read or what? The rumors are about dev-kits and announcements, not release. But I can’t wait for the next-gen consoles, playing PC games at 1080p, 4x AA @ 60 fps and then switching to consoles with sub-hd res @ 30 fps, the difference is huge.

14. Gigabomber

Seriously? This guy’s wrong all the time. I thought the same thing until I sat in line for the MW3 release and heard all of the other people that had also pre-ordered Skyrim, Saints Row, and BF3: that’s 280 US, they would gladly stand in line to buy the xbox 720 if it was around $550.